Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #16
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,804
Hmmm, the last bike I bought was one I picked up for a buddy. When I got home with it, I called him up and said I'm keeping it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,780
Sometimes I put a lot of effort into a purchase and it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes I jump into a purchase and it turns out to be a total score and sometimes I get a dud.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 PM   #18
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
It has slightly longer travel than most sport bikes, but still not a true off road suspension. It does OK when pushed, though, and the switch on the fly throttle response/horsepower works great to keep the back wheel under control in the loose stuff. It is a blast on the road. Light duty luggage is available. Short fuel range.

The 800XC might be found used now, so that could sway the scales for someone looking for an adventure bike.
The duro is on my radar for a potential tool for the kind of paved yet goaty single lane roads in the sierras and coastal mountain range. Although range is an issue, I like around 200 or better.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
One thing I'll say for getting old. Buying any bike you want with your late parent's money and hauling it home on a cold spring morning, that's not so bad.
My big cruiser was kicking my ass, and I wanted a lighter street bike. After much research, and considering many different ride's, I picked a naked sportbike, the Honda 599. Known everywhere else as the hornet.
Didn't like it at first. The "upright riding position" wasen't very upright, the fenders were a joke, and the amount of camping gear it would haul was next to nothing.
Now the bars are an inch taller, the shock's an inch shorter, and it's got a good luggage rack grafted on. It suite's me fine now.
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #20
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
I am very analytic as well and it served me well up to now.

Full fairing (larger than on sport bikes), 150+hp, somewhat sporty seating position, if possible shaft drive. Not much to choose from up there, so I can't allow money to be a factor. The dual clutch transmission completed my dream bike, but I had to compromise on top speed. Weight doesn't matter to me besides power/weight ratio.

I'm using my bike for commuting as well as for holidays and day trips on nearly exclusively paved roads and I like roads best where I have my own lane so I don't have to bother about oncoming traffic. And I don't like to do maintenance. That makes the the criteria named above quite logical.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Heart: Triumph Scrambler
Head: BMW F 800 GS

Actually I would like to have the Scrambler, but for daily use and travelling the GS is the better bike

Less weight, more power, wider range, less consumption, you don't have to replace the tank bag at the gasoline Station and so on

But the Scrambler is the cooler bike, damn! ;-)
Scrambler is cool,but is very close to worthless except for parking in front of a burger joint.

When in doubt buy a DR650.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #22
Revvr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
It has slightly longer travel than most sport bikes, but still not a true off road suspension. It does OK when pushed, though, and the switch on the fly throttle response/horsepower works great to keep the back wheel under control in the loose stuff. It is a blast on the road. Light duty luggage is available. Short fuel range.

The 800XC might be found used now, so that could sway the scales for someone looking for an adventure bike.
Thanks! I had also thought about the Dorsoduro as an option coming to an XR250, but I'm now between the Tiger or the F800GS, heavily leaning towards the Tiger.

If I can, sometime in the future, I would love the Dorsoduro for city riding. You can't beat a skinny bike when riding in traffic. =)
Revvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #23
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Scrambler is cool,but is very close to worthless except for parking in front of a burger joint.

When in doubt buy a DR650.
I don't know about that. I've seen enough reports of people doing crazy cool trips on Scramblers not to write them off entirely.

The whole DR line does seem pretty great.

*Ignore any bike advice. I'm 6'6", I like my trips to be in the thousands of miles (when I can get away), and I choose to ride a TU250x: I am clearly not mentally balanced.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #24
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,242
Piece of cake. I buy a new BMW Boxer GS, put over 100k miles on it in about six years, and then go get another one and start over. Been doing this plan for the last 14 years and over 250,000 miles. Works for me.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #25
Alexander B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Haha! I guess you have really find "your" machine, ShaftEd...
Alexander B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #26
Karlfitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Some bikes were impulse, some opportunistic, still others well thought out.

I'm still looking for new ones about every two years.

In my younger days, I bought what the magazines said were good (Well after my first bike, a Yamaha XS 650)

Then I bought a BMW K 75 on impulse. Very solid bike, I loved it.
Bought an R 100 GS, but sold it after one year (and four sets of tires) and not enough dirt riding.

RF 900, opportunistic. Worked, but just barely.
R 1100 RS, shouldn't have sold it.
K 1200 RS, wanted more HP than the R 1100, but no soul

ST4s, well researched. Great bike. Chickened out on doing my own valve adjustments so too expensive to keep.

R 1100 S, impulse, kind of (Always liked them) wasn't really shopping for a replacement for the Duck, but I liked them, it was cheap enough. But not enough storage to do extended trips on (Which I have done anyway)

Looking now.
Say the Aprilia Caponod. I think I am in love (Lust) again. But what to do with the Beemer?

I'm not sure if my buying methods don't work, I'm schitzophrenic (SP?) or just need a bigger garage (And wallet)
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #27
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 500
My latest bike was a long thought process. I started with the realities of my life. A bike that I couldn't load up with work gear, or go to get groceries on just wasn't going to get ridden much in my world. That limited it bikes with luggage as a possibility. Also over half the roads out here turn to dirt, so unless I wanted to be limited to my weekend exploring they had to have some dirt road features- comfortable standing up riding etc. cost was a factor too. When I got it down to two or three bikes ( f800, ST, used explorer) I compared what was out there on the used market and decided I would get an ST because I felt like you could get more bike for the price, and the yamaha dealer was a lot closer then anyone else. When I went to check what I could get a new leftover 13 at, I got a good enough deal I bought that instead of a used one. A used one might have been cheaper, but with the full YES plan I am covered till my oldest daughter goes to college and my son will have graduated. Having had a lot of money stress since 2012, I felt that was worth it for me.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
Ledwardio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander B View Post
How do YOU prepare the purchase of your next bike? Does it take “soul searching” or quick decisions? Which factors can/do you not give up and which are you willing to compromise on?
And most important: have you been successful?

If not, do you think a bigger budget would have helped you?
For those of you that buy “on a whim”, is there a lasting feeling for the bike, after the honey moon is over?

I am curious since I, in spite of being very analytical (OK , I am actually “overthinking”… ), still have ended up with the “wrong” bikes. They do not really fit my riding habits, riding style and ergonomics to the degree they should, after all that thinking.

That's really hard to fathom.

I've just decided to sell my 'second bike', a ZX6R which I got to do trackdays on and get a Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Racer instead. My wife was quizzing me - "why this type of bike, what am I going to do trackdays on" etc.

The only answer I could offer was "motorcycling is a wheel of many spokes, until I can afford to have one of every type I can at least keep sampling different options". Bizarrely she was happy with that!

I don't remember being disappointed with any of the previous bikes I've bought (other than technical problems that have come as a surprise), I would class most of them as whimsical purchases, even if I've agonised for weeks over what bike to get to fulfill that whim.

That probably doesn't help, sorry
Ledwardio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #29
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,756
Pretty simple. I figure out what appeals to me aesthetically, then I try them.

I wanted an Interceptor till I rode one, didn't work for me. Then I rode a dual sport - road riding - loved it. I still have the bike I bought in 97 with 1710 miles on it. It now has a shade over 47,000 miles on it and I still get a kick out of it... The 95 Kawasaki KLX650.

Like the SR5000 too, and the KLX250. The Zephyr not so much , too high on the pegs and a shade low on the bars. It will be going away. The 650 will be the road bike now.

If you know what you like figure out if it suits what you do. I did and I'm still not looking to replace them.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
How do I decide?

Whatever is available that best fits my budget and my needs.

I have always owned at least one bike since I bought my first about 40 years ago, but I have owned just seven in total. All have been second hand, none cost more than about $US1,200. All have been lightweights that have done the job economically and reliably (maintenance is the key) for day to day commuting as well as some long distance travel. I have ridden in more than fifteen countries, and have done several multi week trips over the years.

Motorcycling is not about brands, features, and farkles. It is about getting out on a bike and doing it.