Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #1636
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
..Its been bloody cold & wet here for about the last week, & especially so this weekend. So I laced the wheel in the dining room.
Nice work mate I thought everyone laced their wheels in the dining room?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 AM   #1637
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,075
225,324 kms. Got a WoF. All legal again.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 07-26-2014 at 03:16 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #1638
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
225,324 kms. Got a WoF. All legal again.

maybe you should rename the bike to 'grandad's axe'
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #1639
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,674
so did you ride today?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #1640
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Puketoi Rd& Makairo Track

Given that I had a legal bike (as of yesterday afternoon) thought I’d go for a pootle today. I hadn't been out on Gus since 1st June, so was hanging out for a ride. Unfortunately it was misty drizzling & cold going over the Rimutakas & cold into the Wairarapa. A feature of the day was big black clouds just ahead of me – but they didn’t unload after the Rimutakas. A couple of times I even saw the sun (usually just when I was about to head straight into it).

Anyway, back to the beginning of the ride. Slabbed to the Masterton bypass, and then took the turnoff to Mauriceville. It’s timeless – it never changes. There’s a big lime works there which I’ve used as shelter a time or 2 when it’s pissed down.

Then up Dryers Rock Rd to hook into SH52 to Alfredtown, & up Pori Rd. Stopped at the intersection with Saunders Rd. That shows as a no exit, but it’s a paper road connecting to Puketoi Rd. One day I’ll follow that through.

Pori Rd had seen a grader through, which for the climb had just swept most of the gravel off. The section from the top of the climb, through to Puketoi Rd was all marbles. Originally I wasn’t going to do Puketoi Rd again, but I just couldn’t be bothered with the graded road, so took the turn. However the grader had made its way to the start of the ‘non maintained’ section of Puketoi Rd as well.

Puketoi Rd was far drier than I expected, & it was nice to do the downhill North to South ride for once. That gave nice views over the surrounding countryside.

To Pongaroa for lunch – steak & egg burger, chips & a beer. Last time I was here, Bart & I had to watch Wade & Marty tuck into this (we had a packed lunch because we’re hen pecked), & I vowed I’d come back for their burgers. It was gooood.

Headed out thru Manuhara Rd, back to Waihi Valley Rd, linking onto the Pahiatua Rd, & through Makuri, & out to Mangatainoka, then ducked down to the Makairo Track to see if anyone has found a bypass to the blocked bridge.

Short answer. No. Long answer, the damage done to the track when the Macrocarps were dropped has not been repaired, the track shows some use (could see some tracks), but no maintenance. Made it to the bridge (which is further in than my faulty recollection had it - or maybe I was just going sloooow). You could probably get through if you had a small bike, or were motivated. I wasn’t.

Back across the Pahiatua Track just on dusk, passed by Andrew Thompson & Neil Wood. Just before Shannon I realised my headlight wasn’t going. The low beam had burnt out. I rode home by the light of my 25w halogen pilot light. Couldn’t recommend it. Home by 7.00 pm. Not as cold riding home as it was riding out in the morning.

Postscript: The light issue was caused by a connector being pulled from its socket, probably when I was servicing the forks. Easy fix.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 04:46 PM
Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 PM   #1641
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
I was first through Puketio from the BRR ride. I saw someone had recently been through. Must have been you eh.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #1642
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Awesome report mate. Gonna make it back for one of them burgers at some point.....wonder if they'll taste the same if I'm not on 690?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #1643
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

Last year I made a commitment to get out on more multi day trips. To do that means camping, to keep costs in check, & more importantly, because I enjoy it. And some of the locations are more remote, so that makes sense.

But in the more immediate future I have: the MMMMM 2014 (15th & 16th Aug) - probably won't camp; the Cold Kiwi - definitely will camp (5th-7th Sept), &: the Cape to Cape - probably will camp (labour weekend).

Getting ready for the MMMMM 2014:
I spent Saturday getting Mandy’s sewing machine back into working order. Katherine had used it a while ago for a school design project, & completely jammed it. It took a fairly major surgery (including partial disassembly) to get all of the cotton out of the interior workings – the jam was so bad that we had considered buying a new machine (to give some scale to the extent of the issues Katherine had inflicted on the poor machine).

That done, I made up some straps to keep the hard panniers on (the old straps had gone with the Krauser panniers on the RS). The straps aren't entirely necessary, but are a peace of mind thing, & they stops the lids rattling.

I also made up some new straps with wider eyelet spacing to allow the Kriega US-5 to be bolted to Gus’s tank. I’m still not entirely happy with those – the eyelets were slightly small & needed a bit of massaging to get them to fit. I’ll make up some more at a later date.

Finally I also built up some new suspenders for the Rev’it Sand pants. The old ones were completely stuffed after 20+ years of usage. And I prefer not to zip my jacket & pants together.

Camping gear:
I’m slowly replacing my bike camping gear. Last year was the tent. This year it’s the turn of my sleeping mat & camp stove. I've also got some Mosko Moto soft panniers on order.

I’m getting older, & a comfortable night’s sleep is becoming more important. Plus the back injury occassionally flares up in the cold / if mistreated. Our old Thermarest mats date back 25 years. One leaks, & they just aren’t comfortable to sleep on anymore. On the last South Island trip away I took a camp stretcher – but that still needs the Thermarest laid over it as an insulating layer. And the stretcher just takes up too much room in my Nautilus 2 man tent. It’s also pretty heavy.

Today I was out buying a new sleeping mat. It’s an Exped Downmat 9LW, which Remote Moto did a review on recently (I’d decided to buy this before reading the review, but the review just confirmed things in my mind). I’ve bought that from Bivouac Outdoors here in Wgtn. Pricing wise, it was as good a deal as buying offshore, but with local support. I’ll take that up to the Cold Kiwi, & see how that works. The mat itself is just like a airbed, but it’s goose down insulated (R value 8). It has a clever integrated pump contained in the mat. Inflated, it is 9cm tall, & the LW indicates it’s longer (197cm) & wider (67cm) than the standard mat. In terms of rolled packing space, at27cmx16.5cm, it’s just slightly bigger than the Thermarest mat it replaces. It weighs 1.22kgs. Spendy, but with a 5 yr warranty, so hopefully it’ll last.

When we toured Europe we used an Optimus alcohol stove, which integrated the stove & pot set. Still have the pots. That was really good stove, but getting the fuel (meths) to run it was a pain in Europe (for some inexplicable reason), & the weak point was the plastic filler. That was later replaced with a camping gaz stove with a ˝ sized puncture fuel tank. Those tanks are now getting increasingly hard to source. The replacement will be a MSR Whisperlite International camp stove. That’ll run on either white gas or unleaded fuel resolving all future fuel issues (at least while I'm camping off the bike).

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 02:18 AM Reason: Additional explanation
Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #1644
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
I bought an Exped 9LW a few years ago, they are very good.

I also have a MSR multi fuel stove, though not the Whisperlite.

I need to use both more over summer.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #1645
Oaters
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Your camping set up sounds good Steve - influenced by your Naultilus (sp) tent on last years Cape to Cape, I bought one and am finding it very good here in SA. Also bought a new Macpac bag in anticipation of the cold here. Both tent and bag functioning well in snow and frosts here. Have yet to address camp cooking. Relying on dried foods and fruit when not near a pub
Oaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #1646
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Hope the downmat treats you well. We still love ours!
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #1647
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

MMMM 2014 15th & 16th Aug

Friday:
I’d been really looking forward to this ride, but the weather didn’t look as if it would cooperate, with a southerly weather front coming thru a couple of days prior. The Rimutakas, the Central Plateau (Desert Rd), & the Napier Taupo Rd were all closed due to snow dumps on Thursday night.

The planned ride up took a number of revisions as I accommodated the potential road conditions. I also over-packed to build in some ‘contingency’ room.

On Friday morning there was a downpour early in the morning, but the day dawned hazy, chilly, but not wet.

Given I was riding by myself, I wasn’t under any real time constraints. I was late leaving Wellington, & took a few false starts. I was just about to get onto the Motorway, & realized that a wobbly mirror I’d been meaning to fix was going to annoy me for the whole trip, so I went back home & fixed that. Then I’d made Plimmerton, & realized I’d left my phone cord (& the sealing plug for the lifeproof case) at home, so turned around again & grabbed that.

The third attempt I decided that the weather had improved enough to try riding thru the Rimutakas.

There was a dusting of snow on the summit, but more on the Wairarapa side. Through Wairarapa I had drizzle & temperatures of about 3 degrees, which kept me on the main road. Stopped at Dannevegas for Maccas & to warm up.

By Dannevegas, I’d decided I’d overnight at Taupo, rather than the original plan, which was to stay at Napier. The cold front seemed to be running with me, & the ranges were getting snow, so I figured it would be safer to stay closer to the ride start. I didn’t want to ride thru snow & ice over the Napier / Taupo in the morning. The drizzle stopped by Tikokino.

SH50 thru to Taradale, Puketapu Rd, & then ˝ way into the Kawekas before I realized that I’d missed my turn off. Had to backtrack a ˝ hr to hit Glengarry Rd, & onto the Napier Taupo Rd. That put my timing out, so it was just after dark before I made Taupo.

Fuelled up at Taupo, with sufficient gas on board to make Matawai (& probably Opotiki). I knew that’d be a pain thru the forestry section, but Gus definitely likes 95 or 98, & NOT 91. I was fairly sure that neither of those would be available without going into Wairoa.

Saturday:
I had an early-ish start to make the Rangitaiki briefing. No frosts this year (there’d been quite strong winds overnight) & the day was fine but with patchy overcast. At Rangitaiki it looked like numbers were a little down on past years.

As expected, I was fairly slow thru the forestry section, & settled into the tail end of the group. The Waipunga Rd section isn’t being maintained, & has deteriorated with a lot of erosion ruts forming. Kiwipete’s bro Garry had an off in some of these, coming thru' the forestry the night before.

We used the cornerman system through this section, then re-grouped at the Whirinaki Forest Park to allow the keen to have a go at a 5km trail riding section. Given the width & weight of Gus, I decided on the more sensible section, then rode thru to Minganui, & off onto the Lake Waikaremoana Rd

Notes in that portion of the ride:
  • The road was in excellent condition. There was little mud or soft portions that I’d found in prior years. And no graders this time
  • There is more & more seal. There were a load of ice / grit signs just before sealed sections.
  • The Bedford Truck is slowly deteriorating
  • There were a number of horses on the road

Lunch at Waikaremoana. I ate my sandwiches from the day prior, & had a coffee I’d carried from Taupo.

Iain & I counselled Pete on the fact that he would soon be replacing his KTM 640a with an airhead GS. We spoke from a position of authority. There was a statistically significant sample that supported this position. 100% of the former KTM 640a owners present at the ride had done so. I'm uncertain why he found this distressing

I did the ‘long’ section this time. Unfortunately my GPS had straight-lined between waypoints, but this was manageable. I only got caught once at the beginning of Erepeti Rd. I quickly found my mistake though, because there was no sign of the passage of 21 bikes thru the gravel after that point. So I backtracked, & discovered the error.

Stopped at the Reinga waterfalls (?) to have a look. I saw that a couple of bikes just passed the carpark barriers so thought I’d ride to those. Mistake. That area was a bog. I thought for a bit there I’d need someone to push me out.

There was a normal Tiniroto Pub stop. Thanks for the fries Raymond.

The ride after Tiniroto I initially had issues getting back into it. That was basically because of low sun, but also because of the bloody GPS. Straight-lining again, & also it wouldn’t keep the backlight up, so I couldn’t see it in the strong light. Plus the text was just too small for me to read. I’ve subsequently resolved both of those issues, but at the time…

Eventually caught Clint, then followed Rosie through this section (with a few others) through to Matawai. She later admitted that her GPS was also acting up, & was acting on memory. Which made me feel somewhat better.

Gisborne council has dumped a load of very coarse gravel all over those roads, which made traction very variable, & the ride ‘interesting’ where it was a little deep.

I’d been an early booker at Matawai, so got a room to myself, which was very nice. Roast (pork & lamb) for dinner. Then a few beers & a bit of a yarn, but have to admit to crashing at 10.00.

Wayne & Marty, you'll have to wait for part 2.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 03:15 AM
Old 08-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #1648
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Does Marty feature in Part 2? he does that a little too often.

Bummed I missed this ride but while I am improving quite well at the moment I wan't up to it yet.

Who was on the knobbly shod SV, not MarkS I presume

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #1649
Box'a'bits OP
In need of repair

MMMMM 2014 (part 2)

No Eddie, not MarkS. It was an SV650, & by all reports was punted along quite quickly.

Marty only gets a mention in passing...

Sunday:
Here are a few photos of Saturday night accommodation on the second floor. I stayed in Robbie’s Room (Rm 3). The hotel obviously has to pump water to the 2nd floor. I’d heard the pump working Saturday night, but not Sunday – and there was no water at the room taps in the morning.

Full cooked breakfast, sausage, eggs, bacon, hash browns.

All up, the accommodation was $98 for the night, including dinner, bed, & breakfast, but not including the several Heinekens I consumed Saturday night.

Fueled up with 10 litres of 91 at the pre-pay Allied pumps. Didn’t quite have enough fuel left to be confident of getting across to Opotiki. Gus didn’t react too much to that – the gas was on top of (the about 5 litres) remaining gas in the tank, so I guess there was some ‘boost’ in octane rating as a result.

One thing that amused me (from the night before) was that I was well known to anyone that had been to the event before for my tearing into Gus’s carbs from a couple of years ago. So I was a little surreptitious in checking & topping up Gus’s oil levels. Didn’t want to perpetuate the image.

Apparently I was the only one to take the Whakarau Rd loop. Love that road. The Gisborne council had been busy on that road too, so there were sections of 'repair' that disrupted the rhythm of the ride.

Motu Rd was pretty empty. I discovered that I prefer the North to South version of this ride.

There was no one about (from this ride anyway) when I arrived at the Opotiki Hot Bread Shop, but I stopped for lunch anyway. Yummy fish pie with a potato & kumara topping, washed down with a well earned latte.

I had been undecided about which way I was going to go home. In the end I decided to go back thru Minganui & the forestry. I thought that if I got out early enough, then I’d head home. But as it was, it was after 4.15 pm before I got to SH5, so I legged it back to Taupo for the night.

Monday:
Monday morning the camp site was misty, & the Napier / Taupo road was pretty clagged in. It was 60-80 kph stuff. I pulled up behind a truck, & then had issues passing it because you just couldn’t see far enough ahead to be confident enough to do that. Just as you made the decision to pass, something would appear in the murk, much closer than I’d anticipated.

The mist cleared on the first big downhill.

Had coffee at the Espresso Café. The day was turning sunny. But I had a chat with some people who had been coming up from Napier – and they were complaining about the mist further toward Napier. Fortunately it had all but burned off by the time I got to that section

Took Glengarry Rd, onto Puketitiri Rd, & back into Taradale. Skipped across to Havelock North (thought of you Marty) & up Middle Rd, down Elsthorpe Rd to Mangakuri Rd, then Pourerere Rd to the beach.

Hit the beach at the wrong time (tide was just starting to go back out), so it was a bit tight around the reef. The slip over Aromoana was also a bit muddy. But the whole of that section thru to Blackhead was a good blast.

Then took SH52 thru Wimbledon, & out to Dannevegas again. By that time it was 4.00 pm, so a quick coffee at the BP, & legged it for home.

Home at 6.20pm.

Final stats for the ride: 1963.8kms, ride time 28.2333 hrs, so an average 69.56 kph, but almost meaningless give the wide range of riding. Total spend $525.90, split accomodation $128, food $110, fuel $250.82, sundry $37. No fuel average, given the tank already had some gas in it & I didn't fill until Masterton.

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 03:18 AM
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #1650
Left Testicle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
How could you miss Glengarry Road. You are a member at that outdoor place along their ant you.

Yeah I can see Pete from Gisborne getting a airhead in the near future. Best to start on a R45 probably. Just like long lining for whitebait. Gotta watch the sudden power.
Left Testicle is offline   Reply With Quote