Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #16
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
seen this posted on local forum so followed the link and sent an email to rberc(at)gmail.com. I am in in halifax and my wife is swiss so both may enjoy the some conversation.
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #17
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 354
Chris is riding in the CMG online Dusk 2 Dawn Rally this morning with us...

Cape Enrage New Brunswick

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #18
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Chris is riding on Prince Edward Island for a couple of days, so he stayed the night at what I call my Big Sisters B&B which really means MY nephew Ty got booted from his bed to the sofa to make way for Chris.

His stories are fabulous, and he's such a disciplined rider (something I can't claim).

So now he's worried about about shipping his bike back, and will be focusing on getting that sorted out before he takes more time for touring.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

This is the old sprocket.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:52 AM   #20
Vikingtazz
Will ride for food.

Oddometer: 229
That's awesome Ronnie - very good of you to welcome Chris and make some space for him.
It was nice to hear from a traveler about his positive experiences in Canada.
Heck, he didn't even complain about our high prices compared to the US.
Cheers!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709349
Vikingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #21
agent of orange
Adventurer

He arrived at my place just outside of halifax sunday after leaving pei, he camped in my yard as I was on pei till monday evening. Since then we have took a day ride to peggy's cove and the swiss air memorial. Now the focus has turned to the shipping of the bike. I have made some calls to the container companies that ship out of halifax and seems that many only deal with freight forwarding companies for LCL. unfortunately the freight companies i have contacted say montreal is the LCL port where they ship out of and the earliest arrival time was the 6th of september. We also spoke to Pro cycle about crating which doesn't seem that much if an issue to get the bike boxed up. One freight company wanted the fuel and oil all out plus the battery disconnected. this makes it next to impossible to ride the bike once he picks it up in Hamburg. I am guessing they do not want to fill out the hazardous material paperwork or it may change the way it would have to be shipped.

my wife also talked to air canada cargo and inquired about air shipment to Zurich to get him very close to home. so that is always and option.

Ideally roro would be the best and a berth to travel on ship with the bike.

I am waiting back on replies from the emails and voice mails i have left but if anyone on adv has specific information on shipping out of Halifax please post up as this is something that I have never done before.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent of orange View Post
He arrived at my place just outside of halifax sunday after leaving pei, he camped in my yard as I was on pei till monday evening. Since then we have took a day ride to peggy's cove and the swiss air memorial. Now the focus has turned to the shipping of the bike. I have made some calls to the container companies that ship out of halifax and seems that many only deal with freight forwarding companies for LCL. unfortunately the freight companies i have contacted say montreal is the LCL port where they ship out of and the earliest arrival time was the 6th of september. We also spoke to Pro cycle about crating which doesn't seem that much if an issue to get the bike boxed up. One freight company wanted the fuel and oil all out plus the battery disconnected. this makes it next to impossible to ride the bike once he picks it up in Hamburg. I am guessing they do not want to fill out the hazardous material paperwork or it may change the way it would have to be shipped.

my wife also talked to air canada cargo and inquired about air shipment to Zurich to get him very close to home. so that is always and option.

Ideally roro would be the best and a berth to travel on ship with the bike.

I am waiting back on replies from the emails and voice mails i have left but if anyone on adv has specific information on shipping out of Halifax please post up as this is something that I have never done before.
Chris just emailed me this morning as I said I would ask advrider for some suggestions:

It would be very nice if you could post something on the ADV rider forum for me.The plan is to take a freightship from Halifax to Hamburg.Or a 2nd option by air cargo.
Thank you very much!
Greetings Chris

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM   #23
agent of orange
Adventurer

by sea but I am having issues with finding roro here all the freight forwarding companies are only quoting LCL and that requires the bike to be shipped back to montreal.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #24
agent of orange
Adventurer

managed to get threw on the phone to the auto port and the lady gave me the names of 2 places to contact.
colley motorships and wallenius.

i was able to talk to colley motorship at their location and got the information that paper work and bike needs to be done and delivered wednesday before noon to be loaded on monday.

also spoke the wallenius rep on his mobile and he asked me to email with the information so we wait to here from him also.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #25
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Brilliant. I'm glad you're on top of it.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #26
agent of orange
Adventurer

well it has been a long time coming but almost 2 weeks later Christian will be flying back to switzerland and his bike has already flown there. There was much confusion and miss information on the options how to get the bike out of canada and to europe. The company he had contact information for no longer takes motorcycles.

Christian arrived at our house sunday night after leaving pei, we where in pei visiting family so he camped out in our driveway and also got a delivery from the ups man lol. Tuesday Christian and I took one last ride, we went to peggy's cove then onto the swiss air memorial. Somber moment for both as Christian like most Swiss seem to have a national pride in what was swiss air and the it was a big impact to many swiss after the crash. I was asked to be part of the clean up by my Reserve unit but was working my full time job. In hindsight it was probably best I didnt go as such work was hard on many of my friends.

Wednesday we started googling,emailing and calling around. Most of the freight forwarders would of shipped it back to montreal on a truck to go into a container as they would ship it LCL ( less than a container) this option would of got the bike to Hamburg in about 2 or 3 weeks. then he would of had to ride it a couple days back home. Then after talking to the auto port I was given the names of 2 companies that do roll on roll off. colley motorships ltd and So RORO was the next option but unfortunately we contacted the companies mid day wednesday and the bike and paper work would have had to been at the auto port to sail the following monday. This meant that it would be 2 weeks before it left Halifax then 7 days to hamburg then a couple days riding home. After such a long journey My wife and I could tell that he just wanted to be home then he told us he would like to be with his family for his birthday. LCL or RORO would of cut it close and he would have to be lucky that the ship made it in time. So we moved onto air.

My wife knows some of the people that work at one of the local dealers so we get the info on getting the bike crated and a ruff dimension of the crate. She talked to the air canada cargo via the toll free number and got a estimate on the cost. So we set to work to clean up the bike, drain the gas and disconnect the battery. I decided to call halifax booking to see if there was anything else we would need and the guy who now will be forever known as Mr Purge Certificate tells me they will not ship it with out a Purge Certificate. He gave me the contact info of a company that does this. Bingo so we are getting somewhere but i start back to work soon. I call and of course the guy I was told to contact is on vacation and i get forwarded between the head office and the warehouse a few times. now week 1 of christian stay with us is coming to an end.

I return to work over the weekend so my wife and daughter and my inlaws got to hang out with christian and talk lots of swiss german. Christian has been a great house guest and has jumped right in at the mention of anything that needs doing. I had been avoiding cutting the grass and now i dont think i will have to worry about that for some time. We also the 3 of us cut the top off a popular tree that had some damage and died. In the evenings we relaxed around the fire. Christian had a smore and had the same reaction as another swiss friend of ours. I am sure he thought it was a pure waste of the swiss chocolate we where using.

On monday and tuesday my wife was off from work so they decided to actually beat on peoples doors as it seemed that some just told you anything to get you to hang up on the phone. the first place she went was to the place for the purging. well they didn't have a clue what Mr Purge certificate at air canada wanted. So my wife decided to go out to air canada cargo. And someone in the office was knowledgeable enough to tell her she should talk to the dangerous goods guy there. He was great told her what she needed and gave her the contact for someone that could do the dangerous goods paperwork for Christian. Shawn was his name but his company name eludes me but i will post it later. Shawn could meet up with them at Pro cycle and do the paperwork and label the bike as it was getting crated. So far they are getting further than I did the week before just on the phone.

So they load the crated bike up and head off to air canada cargo. The 2 guys at the desk where almost giggling when they had to call the booking number before anything else could be done. So my wife calls and the phone rings in a cubicle only feet away. Oh guess who it is Mr Purge Certificate!! oh and he is one of most exemplary examples of an air canada employee. I think he came out to talk to them and from what i gather the old crusty angry sky hags have nothing on Mr Less Purge Certificate Nesman. Oh it starts right away he told us we couldn't just show up with the bike without a booking number. Then oh my god he can't ship it without the Purge Certificate. About now my cell is buzzing with text i really can't check as i am at work. there was some back and forth between my wife about needing the purge certificate but she had a dangerous goods declaration nope need the Certificate. But they met already with the dangerous goods rep from air canada and this declaration is what they need. So now finally they have a booking and can get the bike unloaded off my trailer and into the cargo area. And apparently being able to drive a forklift or pick one suited to lift what you intend to lift is required to get your training certificate to use a fork lift. after a few attempts to remove a crated motorcycle from the back of the trailer that had been put on lengthways from the back at the motorcycle shop. they finally decide to get the big forklift with tongs that are not 2 feet long. somewhere threw all this the customs person comes to look at the bike. where is the purge certificate. I am now thinking that moses himself scribed the one and only purge certificate just after carving the 10 commandments. Oh you have a dangerous goods certificate great no worries then.

Also somewhere in the mix Christian forgot the registration or carne for the bike so they had to return to our house and then while my wife wait outside my daughter locked the keys in the car. I rescued them as i work at the airport. 1 coat hanger and her guiding me from the other side of the car and less than 60 seconds we had the car unlocked. I was so quick When Christian came out after i was gone.

When my wifes parent visited they left the chainsaw and man when Christian gets a roll on not even Paul bunyan and babe could keep up to him. we fell and blocked some trees that had to go. I am glad we could open our home to Christian and it has been great having with us. My wife has been talking more swiss german not only with Christian but with our daughter. But this Saturday evening we will be bidding farewell too Christian as he flights out from Halifax to Zurich in the evening. He will be back with his family sometime Sunday. And I am sure he will have many stories to tell.

The look off

African twin all wrapped up and ready to return to switzerland

tree cutting

Fondu!

Before he left Christian wanted to eat a lobster by the sea so we went to murphy's on the water. We sat and enjoyed the sail boats going by and Christian had his lobster. Oh and we ate to lol
Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #27
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Sounds like the shipping maze was the biggest adventure of all
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #28
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

He's such a nice guy, and I'm very glad you were able to help him on his way.

Well done!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
agent of orange
Adventurer

Christian messaged my wife mid day to tell us he made it home to his family ok. And yes the shipping was a maze of partial and or incorrect information. It seems that in the first world there is still bureaucracy that can muddle up ones plans and slipping someone a few bills doesn't make issues go away lol. hopefully we will here from Christian after he collects his bike and that its travel was smooth also.