User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,193
Earbuds

So ever since the assholes at etymotic discontinued the ER-6i, I just realized the other day I don't really enjoy riding anymore because of the wind noise. I'm not an earplug person because I listen to music.

I tried some custom from these turds and haven't been ripped off that badly, possibly ever. http://www.earsound.com/

I'm open to customs again but what I have got to get figured out is noise isolation. They also need to stay in, even the ER-6's would loosen some times.

I have these on order which should help but I need something that fits and sound is reallt not very high on the list at this point. http://quietridemuffs.com
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
You should check out the eardbud threads in the equipment subforum.

http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #3
Karlfitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I went from the ET-6's to these.

plugup.com

I listened to several at Laguna before I ordered them. Yes some of the custom ones sound like crap.
These are good. (in my opinion)
Karlfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Organic Mechanic
Awesome sauce taster

Oddometer: 114
I found the skullcandy ear buds do a well enough job of killing wind noise and are comfortable under the helmet. not to expensive either, can be found at TJ Maxx or Marshall`s for around 15.00.
Organic Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Mechanic View Post
I found the skullcandy ear buds do a well enough job of killing wind noise and are comfortable under the helmet. not to expensive either, can be found at TJ Maxx or Marshall`s for around 15.00.
I've always used the cheap in-ear buds too, but as I get older and my hearing gets worse (motorcycles, rock concerts and guns for too many years) I am beginning to think I should get some customs. We'll see if I actually fork out the cash.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
richardnixon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Earbud options

I find the NOCS fit very nicely under my helmet. Sound quality is good. They do a good, not great job of blocking noise compared to a custom fit earplug.
richardnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,193
I installed the quietmuffs to night and they are game changer. It's almost spooky how much noise they isolate, and now I can use whatever earbud I want since noise is no longer an issue. It's basically like riding with the muffs they use when jackhammering.

The downside is you have to really dig into your helmet to make room but holy fuck was it worth it. Most effective comfort mod I've ever come across.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #8
monkeythumpa
When I go slow, I go fast

Oddometer: 111
Koss plugs. They are 10 bucks, block out the noise better than $100+ phones and sound better too. I use them every day for listening to my podcasts at 80-90 mph. Some people say that their ears don't make a good seal with them but mine work great. For ten bucks they are worth a try.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-Plug-In-E.../dp/B00001P4XA

WhyBike? A collection of motorcycle blogs.
monkeythumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
BillsburgGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlfitt View Post
I went from the ET-6's to these.

plugup.com

I listened to several at Laguna before I ordered them. Yes some of the custom ones sound like crap.
These are good. (in my opinion)
I have these too andI tried and failed with about a dozen prior attempts, everything either hurt after a while or slowly worked its way out of my left ear.

I think these are the only earbuds that the bud itself sits entirely in your ear canal so that the only thing that can press against your helmet liner is the thin wire that leads to the jack. When you look at them and consider the price, they seem like a total ripoff. But...they work very well and do what I wanted - greatly reduce wind noise and let me hear my music and intercom with no distractions of loosening, hurting or not being able to clearly hear my music or conversation...that to me is almost priceless, it's on par with having a seat you like vs. one that is uncomfortable.

BillsburgGS screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 03:43 PM Reason: A few words went MIA between my brain and the keyboard
BillsburgGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #10
cessnadog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I bought a custom set of Westones a few months back. About $240 including the custom moulds of my ears. Fit is great, sound is good and they stay put.

Can't go on the highway without them now... Just to much noise.
cessnadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Schnickelfritz
pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer: 2,043
I've been using the Klipsch S4s. They come with Apple or Android controls. Good noise reduction, excellent sound output and very comfortable with three sizes of ovalized buds. No problems with helmet fit in the Nolans, Shoei RF1100, or IS-33. They're not completely in-ear, but they're small enough: the outer edge protrudes a few mm beyond the tragus, just even with the antihelix of my small-medium sized ear. I've had them two years, using them on and off the bike, with no problems.
Schnickelfritz is offline   Reply With Quote