Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #31
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 356
And LEOs love those new speed limit signs that flash and say your speed is guess what they use to determine your speed. So you are busy watching the detector and the sign sets it off so you ignore it (yes both the detector and the sign) and the LEO zaps you because he is in an umarked car coming down the road. But I have never had that happen to me
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #32
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
I've been using a RD for over a decade - currently an 8500 cabled to sound isolating earbuds, with an MP3 mixed in - I don't leave home without it.

Yes, RD's are pretty useless against instant-on laser or radar, but around where I live, the LEOs save this heavy artillery more for where it matters - the more populated highways, main through roads, and commercial/school/residential districts where it's not much fun to ride fast anyways. The volume of vehicles make it worthwhile to deploy the heavy artillery, and it must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

In the more remote twisty backroads where we really enjoy riding, all I tend to see are LEOs running constant-on radar, mostly from patrol cars coming the other way, and occasionally a stationary trap, but with the LEO sitting inside the car. In the more desolate backroads, I suppose it could get quite boring trying to actively shoot the fish - guess it's better to just mount the fishing rod, tie a bell to the string, take a nap, and let the fish come to you.

Oh yeah... I'm also a winter rider, and that's the safest time of year to ride hard (assuming clean road surfaces). With the foliage down, you can see through the corners, spot the kamikaze deer coming, see cars coming out of driveways, fewer places for the cops to hide, and it's just too cold to stand outside/roll down a window to shoot instant-on.

My RD works perfectly where I need it to ;).
Old 08-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
And LEOs love those new speed limit signs that flash and say your speed is guess what they use to determine your speed. So you are busy watching the detector and the sign sets it off so you ignore it (yes both the detector and the sign) and the LEO zaps you because he is in an umarked car coming down the road. But I have never had that happen to me

90% of these signs are x band. my v1 has x band turned off.

it also gives me the number of radar sources and their direction(s)

this is what makes valentine better than all others.

my take on lidar.....cop would have to be in position to 'sharp shoot'

might be too much on a hot or cold day. radar can cut down the time they have to aim/shoot
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990

fast4d screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 07:59 PM
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #34
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Ya, someone who trains with firearms on a regular basis might have difficulty putting a red dot on a target
Old 08-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #35
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Ya, someone who trains with firearms on a regular basis might have difficulty putting a red dot on a target
Its not about ability. Any regular idiot could aim a radar or laser gun to hit a car, maybe a bike too. its about effort. I f you tried to run an instant on gun against every ride that came the other way you'd get tired of that real quick. Running on all the time you could just drive down the road getting what you get from the 95% who dont run detectors.. Much easier. The rate of caught/ not is not in the mix here.

If your a LEO, and you care about 5 mph over, you can roll with your radar on all the time and occupy your time. Ther'es plenty of people just going along along outside of the law too
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #36
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4fun View Post
that's one of the nice features of the V-1, it will tell you if there are multiple signals
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #37
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerkid View Post
Its not about ability. Any regular idiot could aim a radar or laser gun to hit a car, maybe a bike too. its about effort. I f you tried to run an instant on gun against every ride that came the other way you'd get tired of that real quick. Running on all the time you could just drive down the road getting what you get from the 95% who dont run detectors.. Much easier. The rate of caught/ not is not in the mix here.

If your a LEO, and you care about 5 mph over, you can roll with your radar on all the time and occupy your time. Ther'es plenty of people just going along along outside of the law too
Any officer that is using LIDAR or Instant-On Radar isn't randomly chosing vehicles. He's confirming the speed of a vehicle that he's already picked out as being in violation of the speed limit.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #38
MauiCowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Any officer that is using LIDAR or Instant-On Radar isn't randomly chosing vehicles. He's confirming the speed of a vehicle that he's already picked out as being in violation of the speed limit.
As a rule I routinely run both motorcycles and cars at 8-9 over on cruise control to avoid getting performance awards. I get hit by LD/instant on radar all of the time. I don't care how well trained you think LEOs are but they cannot accurately differentiate by eye if on oncoming vehicle is do 58 in a 50 or 62 in a 50. Hence why they use LIDAR and Radar.

I see staters on the sides of highways all of the time using LIDAR on every single vehicle coming by them.

I get instant on radar'd by both state and country LEOs all of the time when I'm not doing anywhere near ten over.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:31 AM   #39
Advntr
Dilbert

Oddometer: 449
Quote:

Yeah...sure and the check is in the mail...that does not happen here in the vampire state[ny] and many other places. Last week 3 days in row I got zapped with lidar while cruising at the speed limit. The only thing observed by the officer was here comes another possible citation. Just about every time I have one rolling at me on the two lane I get lit up with instant on even though I am poking along within 5 mph of the limit.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #40
STurgisSTeele
129 k miles strong!

Oddometer: 17
Maybe LEO's hit you with radar to see if/how you react? Do you slow up/hit the brakes? That, I was told, could be an admission of guilt. Don't know how accurate that is, but I've always maintained that if you hold your speed, assuming within 10 mph over or less, you won't be bothered. At least this has been my experience whether in a cage or on the bike.
I don't use a RD. The only two speeding tickets I've ever gotten, in my teenage years, was when I relied too much on the RD. Best to use your eyes, intuition, and don't drive more than 10 over. YMMV
Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #41
motorfiveo
The sound resounds

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiCowie View Post
As a rule I routinely run both motorcycles and cars at 8-9 over on cruise control to avoid getting performance awards. I get hit by LD/instant on radar all of the time. I don't care how well trained you think LEOs are but they cannot accurately differentiate by eye if on oncoming vehicle is do 58 in a 50 or 62 in a 50. Hence why they use LIDAR and Radar.

I see staters on the sides of highways all of the time using LIDAR on every single vehicle coming by them.

I get instant on radar'd by both state and country LEOs all of the time when I'm not doing anywhere near ten over.
Can they differentiate 1-2 mph? Not generally.
Can you tell the difference between 8-12 mph over a given speed? Absolutely.
Go sit on the side of the road watching traffic long enough and you get VERY good at it. Distance, curves, and hills tend to play optical illusions and reduce your ability to accurately estimate speed. Even the basic radar course requires the participants to visually estimate traffic.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #42
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorfiveo View Post
Even the basic radar course requires the participants to visually estimate traffic.
Riiight!

You were speeding, I could tell. Sign here.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #43
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:

Where I live its a $1556 fine if you own a "speed evasion detection device”, another $1556 if you actually use it, and another $1556 if you fail to surrender the device. On top of that you incur 9 demerit points against you licence, plus what you'll get for the speed ticket. Accumulate more than 13 demerit points in any 3 year period and your licence is gone.

Needless to say I don't know anyone around here who uses em.
Now that laser detectors are covered, what's the cost of owning a gun in Australia these days?

Are things as bad as I read?

Thanks for your reply.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:31 AM   #44
Dances With Roads
mild observations

Oddometer: 4,576
always humorous how the leo says that the rd is worthless...

i have been using mine since '98. i have avoided being caught in countless speed traps, etc. and have NEVER been caught while the thing was on. ( i got one award with it turned off!)

ask ANY ld rider if his v-1 works for him.

either you leos are trolling or you are ignorant. i don't know which...

i'll be the guy on the kgt carefully observing the speed limit when you see me.

...oh, and i'll be thinking how i wasted $400 fifteen years ago.

edit: i got pulled over in Granby once by a sheriff just because i had the v1 i guess... rookie. i almost told him he need to find a real job doing useful things... instead, i just asked him if i could leave.

Dances With Roads screwed with this post 10-02-2014 at 06:22 AM
Dances With Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #45
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Are you assuming that the average LEO "trains with firearms on a regular basis"? You might be surprised.
C/1/509 is online now   Reply With Quote