User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
planzman OP
commie bike rider

Oddometer: 663
Buying out of state?

I am looking at a bike over 1000 miles away from me.
Several options.
Fly n ride
Drive and haul
Fly and haul
Ship

If i meet face to face with the seller, no issues.

What if i buy via find transfer and depend in the seller to turn the bike uver to shipping co. How is best way?
Escroe service?
Dealer acting as middle man to recieve funds and hold bike for shipping?
planzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I vote for...

Fly and ride. Before buying your ticket ask a board member to stop by and take a look at the bike and meet the seller. You can tell a lot by his garage and home.

On the hauling idea, I would buy a used utility trailer. When you get back home sell it for what you paid. Done deal.

Are you sure this model of bike is not available closer if you are patient?

Good luck with your purchase.
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
RCmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
if you have the time to travel then of course in person is best. cheapest way will be uship at about $0.25-0.33 per mile. PM me w/any questions, I've done it cpl times.

should be able to get a feel for someone from emails, texts, phone - if something doesn't seem right then forget it. have them send up close detailed pics of anything in question. go to that regional section of ADV asking if an inmate can go check it out. give them a list of specific things you might not be sure of. send them a paypal gift for their time.

funds transfer is OK, I've never had any problems with a certified bank cashiers check - yes they can be faked, but all you have to do is call to verify it's real. seller can also hold the title for a week until they feel funds are good, then overnight the signed title. should not be an issue as funds are taken out of an account, they don't need to clear like a personal check.

type up a bill of sale, make 2 copies w/sig. & date lines for each buyer/seller. explain everything in it - make/model, miles, VIN #, seller is to hold bike until pickup or shipment. any extras/parts. paid in full amount $ received how. sold as is.
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Toddv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I've done it, bought a bike in NEw Orleans when I was living in MD. I drove the pickup truck down, loaded the bike up and drove home. I probably would have flew down and driven it home but I had too much going on at the time to allow it. I was not worried about it's condition much as it only had 600 miles on it and was less than 6 months old.

My lender wired the money as it still had a leen on it.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
It would also depend a lot on the type of bike. A sport bike or dual sport would be hard not to ship. A touring or sport touring bike would be an easy decision--fly and ride. I second the advice to have an inmate check it out before doing a fly and ride. Good luck.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote