ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #31
boldham
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark R. View Post
Well, this was a really fantastic time. We got there Thursday around 1, and were riding by 2. Went to the top of Engineer Pass, then down towards Ouray on Engineer pass road. Took a side trip up Poughkipsie Gulch, but that was WAY too much loose rock. Turned back after about two miles, and took Engineer all the way to 550 near Ouray, then slabbed it back to Silverton.

Engineer was really rough going down to Ouray, and I am glad we did not try to go up it. Lots of steps/ drop offs.

Next day we went east over Stony Pass all the way to the highway, then up to Lake City, then over Engineer back to Silverton. That was a long day, but really spectacular.

That kind of whipped my son, who is only an occasional rider. We both had trouble sleeping that night, so we got up on Saturday morning and came back to Albuquerque. I could have pressed him to ride Ophir the next day, but that would have soured him to riding, rather than being fun.

I beat the shit out of the skid plate on my Tenere due to its lower ground clearance, so I spent yesterday straightening it out, and getting the bikes back to perfection.

Thanks for the tips. Had a great time. Triangle Motel was great. I'm going back, for sure !!!!!
My recollection is that coming down from Engineer, you can follow a sign toward Cinnamon Pass and take easy route down to Silverton or continue down tougher Mineral Creek Trail (which I presume you took). I rode that a few weeks ago on XR650L and it was well worth the descent. Incredible shelf sections and deep gorge. If you're on a heavy bike, I recommend not climbing that route and only descending if you've got the skills!
Nice job!
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote