ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #16
jslyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I had one of those jobs in the 90's with Lockheed Martin. Had a buddy that left before me convince me to switch to a wireless communications startup. Who knew that making cell phones play music and games, take selfies or show you a map would pay better than being a rocket scientist, at least in my case.

Guess I'm saying, Don't limit your options!

Oh, and it has been raining a lot here this summer, and we get a cold rain here, making it kind of chilly up in the mountains. Not that I'd trade it for 90+ heat and humidity or anything like that.

jslyter screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 09:17 AM
jslyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I'm tired of the heat and humidity in Alabama. Someone find me a rocket scientist job in Colorado please!
If you have a DoD Clearance there's probably a good chance you can get a job here in Colorado relatively easily. BUT don't expect to have the same standard of living as you do in Alabama. I've spent a lot of time up there on previous projects and the low cost of living is hard to beat.

A former coworker of mine lives in a really sweet brand new house (2 story 3K sq/ft, 2 car garage, decent size lot) in Owens Cross Roads, I think she paid $225-$250K around 2 years ago for it, totally custom built to her specs.

I have 1/2 the square footage for the same money with an equal commute to hers from where I live to Boulder. Boulder is Notoriously expensive, but due to the Market boom lots of communities have home values going WAY up.

So? Her and I are both "Senior Staff Engineers", and do I make more? yes but only marginally (not nearly enough to cover the greater cost of living). Do I care? Hell NO. I'd still choose Colorado over HSV even if I made 10% Less than she did. Just expect that your cost of living is going to be significantly higher here than in HSV. Not to mention with all the recreational opportunities we have you'll be spending even more cash!

This is assuming you're currently working as a GS or Government Contractor, so don't be surprised if an offer at ULA, Raytheon, NG, LM etc. doesn't come in at much more than you're currently making. The real money is Oil/Natural Gas.

Space is BIG here in Colorado, it's the home for Orion, Dream Chaser, GPS III, Juno, MAVEN, Grail, Atlas, JPSS, plus multiple ground segments for government satellites.

http://gpsworld.com/governor-signs-c...ace-symposium/

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #18
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 555
Figure this out and make yourself $25K

http://www.radioprotocolcontest.com/index.html

Figure this out and make yourself $25K
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
Mendocino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Check out www.trimble.com. We are in Westminster and you might be amazed what we are into.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #20
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,469
Also Ball Aerospace in Boulder...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #21
MotorcycleWriter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Just so happens I'm a GNC (mostly navigation) engineer. Just about done raising kids. Ready for some new scenery.
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Just an FYI llnl.gov isn't in New Mexico.

Gee a rocket scientist should be able to find a rocket scientist job. After all I am no rocket scientist and I am gainfully employed.

For now.
Finding a job is not rocket science. Unless you are a rocket scientists.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 AM   #23
Boricua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
I think you mean ULA? (United Launch Alliance) That's Littleton (I think).

LM has several sites around the area. Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Boulder, N. Colo Springs and efforts on Buckley AFB (Aurora) and Peterson AFB (COS). (And maybe more - it's hard to get that kind of information - even internally)

Bear in mind that HR's job is to ensure nobody gets hired. So your resume has to have all the right buzzwords to get past the pre-qual shredder.
I've even heard that a good trick to pass the shredder filter is to put a lot of keywords in white-on-white font on your resume so the system will see them but you don't have to use them in sentences.
Thanks for the correction. I needed to give one more stir to my bowl of alphabet soup.
Boricua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #24
MotorcycleWriter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Space is BIG here in Colorado, it's the home for Orion, Dream Chaser, GPS III, Juno, MAVEN, Grail, Atlas, JPSS, plus multiple ground segments for government satellites.
http://gpsworld.com/governor-signs-c...ace-symposium/
Space is what I do best.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #25
MotorcycleWriter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A former coworker of mine lives in a really sweet brand new house (2 story 3K sq/ft, 2 car garage, decent size lot) in Owens Cross Roads, I think she paid $225-$250K around 2 years ago for it, totally custom built to her specs.
I probably know her as I live in Owens Cross Roads! She probably lives "behind Walmart" as we say around here, in one of the newly sprouted planned communities. There are a lot of very nice, new homes in that area but I'm not really a 1/4-acre-lot-former-cotton-field kind of guy and live in an older home on an acre in the woods.

Quote:
So? Her and I are both "Senior Staff Engineers", and do I make more? yes but only marginally (not nearly enough to cover the greater cost of living). Do I care? Hell NO. I'd still choose Colorado over HSV even if I made 10% Less than she did. Just expect that your cost of living is going to be significantly higher here than in HSV. Not to mention with all the recreational opportunities we have you'll be spending even more cash!
yup

Quote:
This is assuming you're currently working as a GS or Government Contractor, so don't be surprised if an offer at ULA, Raytheon, NG, LM etc. doesn't come in at much more than you're currently making. The real money is Oil/Natural Gas.
yup

Quote:
I'm an astrodynamicist/navigation engineer and space is what I do best. I was GNC lead on a cube sat program (SMDC-ONE) a few years ago and would like to get back into space work. Huntsville is mostly either Army or MDA with are both all about shooting things down or blowing things up. Yeah, NASA is here but they don't do anything interesting and, if they do, it takes forever to get it done.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #26
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I'm an astrodynamicist/navigation engineer and space is what I do best. I was GNC lead on a cube sat program (SMDC-ONE) a few years ago and would like to get back into space work. Huntsville is mostly either Army or MDA with are both all about shooting things down or blowing things up. Yeah, NASA is here but they don't do anything interesting and, if they do, it takes forever to get it done.
You should definitely apply to Sierra Nevada ASAP. They are ramping up in expectation of a new contract award (currently interviewing and giving offers contingent on contract award), several of my ex-coworkers from the Orion project have left Orion for dream chaser (and love it). Orion is based out of Colorado but the guys doing GN&C for it are at JSC in Houston. Sierria Nevada isnt encumbered by the same amount of red tape as the traditional NASA contractors. So it could be a good fit.

There's also a satellite group at CU-Boulder they have a tvac chamber and everything(or that's what I've been told at least) their space dept is called LASP.
LockMart is in the processes of consolidating facilities and supposedly several jobs are moving to Littleton (commercial satellites).

Hope you find something that's a good fit!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #27
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,128
Interesting thread and good luck to all you guys in the space/aircraft tech industry in Colorado and elsewhere. This activity needs to continue with the brightest people on board. But.... I had to look up GNC to see what it means. For those not in the know, I guess it means Guidance, Navigation, and Control, right?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #28
e.hahn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
If you can take a leap of faith and move before you officially land a job. It's much more attractive if a company can hire you tomorrow instead of fly and lodge you just for an interview. I know, been there done that, it's almost impossible with all the local competition.
e.hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #29
MotorcycleWriter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yup, that's guidance, navigation, and control. Navigation tells the vehicle where it is, guidance tells it how to get where it wants to be, and control implements the guidance commands to get there. My strength is Navigation, Guidance, and then controls in that order based on the tasks and work I've had over the years. Lots of 6DOF analysis over the years. Lots.

That Sierra Nevada looks pretty interesting. I'm going to apply and see what happens. Maybe in a few years I'll be in a position to take a leap of faith, but right now I need constant income to support kids in college. Yes, kids. Three. At Auburn. Either that or one of my novels needs to become a bestseller!

War Eagle!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #30
1Gopokes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
rocket jobs CO

Have you looked at MDA at Shriver AFB in Colo Springs

My spouse works out there and seems to be pretty busy...she actually works for a Company out of Huntsville AL

I was just in Huntsville AL for Explosive school....surprisingly nice town...but hot and humid

I like Straight to Ale
1Gopokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote