Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #31
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,952
I've fought lots of forest fires back in the day and I know they have every reason to be concerned right now. Here's hoping that nothing big happens around V.I. this season.

Thanks for the details on the Glenora exit. I'll be giving that a look soon when things get better.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #32
gdt3
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Vancouver Island logging roads advice

Can someone tell me what the road is like that loops from Lake Cowichan village to Nanaimo, going past Nanaimo Lakes?
gdt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #33
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Well for one thing it's closed for the fire season. I'm kind of curious myself about the road conditions. I stick more to the Copper Canyon end of things or go in through the paved roads by Nanaimo Lakes.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #34
gdt3
n00b

Well, that tells me that the road is paved from Nanaimo to somewhere around, or past Nanaimo Lakes. Can you expand on that for me?
Please tell me how far it is paved from that end of the loop to Lake Cowichan.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #35
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Others will know better than me - hope they chime in. The Nanaimo Lakes Road is paved till around the second lake - there is then the gravel and the access gate beyond to the area you are inquiring about. There are private cabins on these lakes and it would seem that the gate is for access control to these cabins and the logging areas beyond - or so I was told last week.

As for the Lake Cowichan end of things, the road on the north shore is paved till Youbou and then becomes gravel. This gravel road beyond is always open for access to the communities on the west coast (Nitinat, Bamfield, etc.) My guess is that the road to Nanaimo Lake branches off somewhere along this stretch and is gravel. There is probably gate access to this road - at which time would be locked for the fire season. There is a sign in Youbou which states that road signage is poor from where the pavement ends - I've done the road to Port Alberni and I agree that the markings were poor.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
gdt3
n00b

Thanks jackd. The road is really obvious from Google maps and looks really interesting, therefore I would like to ride it. :-)
Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a story that was told to me last year. There is an off road riding club/organization on the Island that you can join for around $25 per year. With this organization comes greater access to the back roads, due to the fact that they carry a joint increased liability insurance coverage, which seems to please the forest companies/land owners. I do not know the name of it nor have I heard it mentioned by others. This group also might have possession of a detailed map supply of all these areas. If you are really into getting back into these areas, I would suggest you start making inquiries at shops which specialize in off road machines and maybe they can point you in the right direction. If you get anything useful, please pass it on to the rest of us.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
British Columbia Off-Road Motorcycle Assn.

BCORMA is the club to which you refer. They've done some good work for us.

Check out Tansky in the Jordan River area...frickin' awesome.

Cheers
yatman
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote