ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #46
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,090
I guess theft would be a fine line in how you look at Garbage. Is it stealing to pickup a beer can that was left behind, maybe the owner is coming back! I know doubtful there but how do we know an owner of a $20 Wal-Mart tent is coming back and there is nothing inside? To me that is like the can in that it's clearly not being used and good chance they won't be back. I bet being brought up on theft charges would be slim that they even stick.

Now if we are talking a $800 REI tent, yeah I would think the person is coming back.

Although it turns to etiquette more then anything, nothing says you can not pull in and setup camp 1 foot from their tent door of that un-occupied tent (lets assume you looked in and nothing is in it). I think most Humans shy away and assume "yeah there is someone camping there" so we try and respect others space...but in reality nothing says on public land that you HAVE to. Also nothing says I can not take down your tent either if it's not being used. (Of course this could all lead to an ugly 2am confrontation).

What I see happening is dispersed camping will be a thing of the past, or areas will be made and you will pay a fee and the fee pays to have a Ranger make the rounds to make sure you are in your spot. Although still no way to really enforce it because so many out of the way areas if you just look.
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #47
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzd1a View Post
I'm sure there is an app for this - not much difference than restaurant reservations.....

Edit: I should say that I don't support this, but whatcha' gonna do?
Burn their tent down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I've seen this practice all over southern Colorado, and it's not just tents. I see plenty of trailers left in spots. I even see this up in the La Sals above Moab during the summer months and recently noticed this in the area south of Jacob Lake on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Drives me absolutely bat shit at the end of a long day of riding when I am desperately needing to stop for the night but can't find a spot without a damn trailer sitting in it.

Once my wife and I dropped down into a spot right next to a stream with unoccupied trailers all around on the hills above us. No one else ever showed up. In the morning I thought about leaving a present on their doorstep but that would have been pretty shitty.

Another time I relocated a pile of fire wood I found at one unoccupied but "reserved" site closer to my fire ring.

With a little "Monkey Wrenching" we could probably change this behavior. It ain't right. Just sayin...
Or their trailer.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #48
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,385
So I'm thinking that this is good to know, this campsite bogarting phenomenon. If you happen upon a campsite midweek with a cheapo tent and some lawn chairs with no sign of occupancy you just move the tent to one side, like the periphery of the site, pitch your's and enjoy your stay. If the actual occupant shows up just tell them the truth, that you figured it was a matter of campsite bogarting and that no one was really camping there. Chances are, however, no one will show up.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #49
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
So I'm thinking that this is good to know, this campsite bogarting phenomenon. If you happen upon a campsite midweek with a cheapo tent and some lawn chairs with no sign of occupancy you just move the tent to one side, like the periphery of the site, pitch your's and enjoy your stay. If the actual occupant shows up just tell them the truth, that you figured it was a matter of campsite bogarting and that no one was really camping there. Chances are, however, no one will show up.
And if you see a person coming that may appear to be the actual camper of that meager site, just keep a gun cleaning kit handy, along with a shotgun, and act like you're just fixing to clean your pistol. Oh...and make sure to have an actual pistol present to carry through on the appearance...LOL!
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #50
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,889
I think Ill just toss a chigger bomb into the next tent or camp trailer I find unoccupied for more than 2 days.

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #51
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I'm guessing the FS enforcers can't consider it that until after 14 days and you taking a tent makes you then a thief...and how are you morally superior?

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #52
TNC
Candyass Camper

Isn't moral superiority highly overrated?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #53
imcja
b00b

Oddometer: 50
I like to call it self-righteous.
imcja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #54
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
If it's free or dispersed camping just set up camp where ever you want all the same. When they show up if they don't get the picture then you can paint one for them. Tents don't have rights and if there's some 24 hour timeline who's counting?
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #55
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
In the morning I thought about leaving a present on their doorstep but that would have been pretty shitty.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #56
zendirt
Circus Clown Dropout

Oddometer: 104
I've seen the sites "reserved" by vacant tents too, and it annoys me. So I am wondering what is the rules and/or etiquette regarding how far away we can camp from others who are there first?

In the winter and spring when the forest is almost empty, we seek out remote sites far away from other campers. I mean, if the place is empty, it would be strange to setup right next to another group. But as the forest gets crowded in the summertime, we end up choosing sites that are pretty close to other campers. At some large meadows in the summer, it is common to see one group set up just on the other side of the meadow from another group. Or only 50 ft down the road. So, if there is really a vacant tent being used to "hold" a spot, why am I obligated to avoid that site? If there is room at the site for another tent, then why can't I just setup my tent next to theirs and put my chairs next to theirs around the campfire spot? If they come back, they can either join me or go find somewhere else. I won't prevent them from sharing the site with me.

What right would they have to complain about me setting up and sharing the site? In a way, we are ALL sharing that space… whats the difference if its 100 ft away or 10 ft away?
zendirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #57
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
I think Ill just toss a chigger bomb into the next tent or camp trailer I find unoccupied for more than 2 days.

I was thinking one should toss in a couple of hot dogs.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:20 PM   #58
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,097
Stealing someone's tent is still stealing, no matter how you try to justify it. To me, that is a worse precedent than setting up a tent to reserve a campsite.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #59
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Stealing someone's tent is still stealing, no matter how you try to justify it. To me, that is a worse precedent than setting up a tent to reserve a campsite.
FC, I'm not sure...it seems that behavior contrary to good citizenship has become more "normal" and widespread to the point where some form of response may be proper and necessary.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #60
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Yup. Just leave a note (if you feel the need) and find your space. As much of a bummer as this practice is, it does not justify theft.
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote