Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #3076
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
FYI,,,i passed on your request to Chris yesterday,,we've been swamped with all the Sturgis crowd passing through and needing stuff fixed/tires mounted etc...everyone is standing around because they are either coming or going....
they are anxious to continue their journey....i'm sure you can relate....

we do our damndest to help em out,,,having been in that predicament many times myself...

woody

No worries, there's not a huge rush as my bike is still in rebuild mode, just wanted to hear that my email hadn't been lost. Thanks!
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:04 PM   #3077
PHXAdventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
990 tubless conversion

Originally Posted by PHXAdventure
Hi Woody,
I have a 2007 KTM 990 that I would like to convert to tubeless. The reason I want tubeless is for easyier repairs on the side of the road.

I've looked at a lot of options like Bar TUbbless. Outex tubless etc, From what I gather my stock front rim lacks the safety bead that will keep a tubeless 21in tire in place at low pressures.
I plan on riding the KTM 80% road 20% off road,

I plan on Riding from Phoenix AZ to Florence OR and Back and want to deside to stay with Tubes or Go Tubless by then
Thanks in Advance
Shawn aka PHX Adventure

hi please
PHXAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #3078
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
good luck,,,,don't know of too many conversions like this,,at least ya now where it's possible...

FYI,,am working on 1.85x21 with safety bead..Psssst...top secret

woody
FYI..... The Sun 1.85 that Zach sealed for me, about a year ago, has given me zero troubles. I run the TKC80 you mounted ( 2009 8GS) at 26 psi in the dirt. It have survived thousands of miles in the desert southwest. It leaks perhaps 1, pr month, and have had no flats, or burbs. It is a great combo.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #3079
sans4ver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
FYI..... The Sun 1.85 that Zach sealed for me, about a year ago, has given me zero troubles. I run the TKC80 you mounted ( 2009 8GS) at 26 psi in the dirt. It have survived thousands of miles in the desert southwest. It leaks perhaps 1, pr month, and have had no flats, or burbs. It is a great combo.
Thanks ebrabaek. Thats good to know it worked for you.
Seems like we do have options for ADVers looking for 21' TL wheels.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #3080
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
Sun !.85 or 2.15 with safety bead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
i KNOW Sun comes in 2.15 x21 for sure....it's news to me that the 1.85 was machined with safety bead...

Look folks...FYI we have sealed numerous 21 rims with no safety beads...almost all for X-country racers who dig the rapid way ya can swap a tire...AND that rapid way will usually lead to instant deflation and all the issues ya get with a tire running amok on your rim...AND then again it's really not much different than running a tube type set-up and experiencing a blow-out...

FYI #2...the other issue comes with what tires you mount on the rim and how big the safety bead is...BWOE,,,our beloved TKC-80 in 21TL configuration are so soft and 2ply thin sidewalls..that they slip on and off the tire with nary any effort...NOT something ya want if the tire pressure is too low....

holler Ebrabaek

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 PM   #3081
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
i KNOW Sun comes in 2.15 x21 for sure....it's news to me that the 1.85 was machined with safety bead...

Look folks...FYI we have sealed numerous 21 rims with no safety beads...almost all for X-country racers who dig the rapid way ya can swap a tire...AND that rapid way will usually lead to instant deflation and all the issues ya get with a tire running amok on your rim...AND then again it's really not much different than running a tube type set-up and experiencing a blow-out...

FYI #2...the other issue comes with what tires you mount on the rim and how big the safety bead is...BWOE,,,our beloved TKC-80 in 21TL configuration are so soft and 2ply thin sidewalls..that they slip on and off the tire with nary any effort...NOT something ya want if the tire pressure is too low....

holler Ebrabaek

woody
LOL... Now ya got me thinking...... Perhaps mine is a 2.15..... Grrrrr.... Bike is in the aircraft hanger, so I cannot check. Either way I dont go below 26 psi in the front, and 28 in the back of the rims Zach build, and they have held up fantaboulistically.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #3082
DoYouLikeItHere
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Fat 18" Front knobby for KLR

I joined up just so I can post this, but it looks like an awesome site ! Glad I found it !!

I would like to run the fat 18 on the front of my 1996 Gen 1 KLR 650.
Can I purchase a set of spokes and nipples, and a used 18x2.15 rim from you?
I'm on a budget so I'm really hopeful you can find a used rim for me that will work for me on my budget.

Looks like your having a clearance on used rims ?? Hows the new place?

Anyways, I will lace it all to my own Gen 1 KLR front hub at home anr run tubes in the tires.

Thanks a bunch !
Mike

DoYouLikeItHere screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 08:58 PM
DoYouLikeItHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:49 AM   #3083
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

used 2.15 x18 for fat front tire conversion on KLR 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouLikeItHere View Post
I joined up just so I can post this, but it looks like an awesome site ! Glad I found it !!

I would like to run the fat 18 on the front of my 1996 Gen 1 KLR 650.
Can I purchase a set of spokes and nipples, and a used 18x2.15 rim from you?
I'm on a budget so I'm really hopeful you can find a used rim for me that will work for me on my budget.

Looks like your having a clearance on used rims ?? Hows the new place?

Anyways, I will lace it all to my own Gen 1 KLR front hub at home anr run tubes in the tires.

Thanks a bunch !
Mike
will check for ya..so many guys have asked the same thing.....

woody
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #3084
DoYouLikeItHere
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
will check for ya..so many guys have asked the same thing.....

woody
Thanks Woody, Jus Holler !!
DoYouLikeItHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #3085
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Hey Woody. I have a question fer ya! First time posting in this enormous thread. I hope I don't get lost or beat up . . .

Some background: I have a new to me sidecar rig based on a 1975 R90S (link to pics of it in my signature). The rig was built approximately 20 years ago (c.1984 based on the components). It was very well built, and (most relevant to this post) included conversion from 18"/19" wheels to 15" car wheels with 125R15 car tires. The chair is a relatively new one (c.2012) built by Claude Stanley (CSM)/Freedom Side Cars with a 15" disk wheel.

My first question relates to the rear wheel primarily. The lacing of the 15" wheel to the original drum brake hub has resulted in two potential anomalies, as I look at it; Spokes that don't look straight on one side; and the hub is laced differently on each side. Is this a problem? There are no broken spokes, and it sees to run true, but I have not measured runout.

Here are a couple of pictures to start things off. If you would prefer I email you directly, just respond here or via PM saying so.

Thanks.

Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #3086
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

IMHO..analysis of 18 to 15'' wheel conversion on BMW R90S sidecar rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
Hey Woody. I have a question fer ya! First time posting in this enormous thread. I hope I don't get lost or beat up . . .

Some background: I have a new to me sidecar rig based on a 1975 R90S (link to pics of it in my signature). The rig was built approximately 20 years ago (c.1984 based on the components). It was very well built, and (most relevant to this post) included conversion from 18"/19" wheels to 15" car wheels with 125R15 car tires. The chair is a relatively new one (c.2012) built by Claude Stanley (CSM)/Freedom Side Cars with a 15" disk wheel.

My first question relates to the rear wheel primarily. The lacing of the 15" wheel to the original drum brake hub has resulted in two potential anomalies, as I look at it; Spokes that don't look straight on one side; and the hub is laced differently on each side. Is this a problem? There are no broken spokes, and it sees to run true, but I have not measured runout.

Here are a couple of pictures to start things off. If you would prefer I email you directly, just respond here or via PM saying so.

Thanks.

hi Jim,,your crap detector is working just fine...

IMHO,
1,,,you are riding a ticking bomb....wheels built with rims punched for a smaller diameter hub as is your case and forced to a larger diameter hub end up looking just like yours,,,,,the first place they start cracking is at juncture of nipple and spoke,,,,as they relax ,,they'll start to loosen because the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in your set-up there is too big a deviation between the way the rim was drilled/punched and the optimal angle...

2,,the business of having one side X1 and the other X2 is of no concern,,,a common solution used by wheel-smiths to convert/adapt rims/hubs having different indexing ie either euro or jap....Notice the X2 pattern has a bigger kink than the X1...because the angles change more on X2 than X1

Rx = get the holes re-angled/relieved on rim ,,get properly drilled rim

IMHO you are ready for a nice re-build anyway...beadblast and seal hubs some nice beefier SS spokes and nipples,,,beadblast and powdercoat rim after angle correction.etc etc...

FYI we do all thee services hoping up sidecar wheels...got lot's of kudos from sidecar racers...building bullet-proof wheels for them

holler

woody
Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #3087
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Thanks for the quick reply Woody.

Given the rust on the spokes & nipples (as well as the rim), replacement with SS hardware makes sense. One of the guys in the Hacks section here also noted that it looks like the nipples are bottomed out on the spokes (no exposed threads left).

I would also like to use rims that have the valve stem pointing inward toward the hub like the original wheels. The front valve stem actually hits the left caliper without a rednecked piece of wire solution to pull it out of the way.

While we're wishing, running tubeless would be nice. That would allow me to run 90 degree valve stems.

I also want to replace the fugly disk sidecar wheel with a matching spoked wheel. I have another front hub to use for the conversion, I just have to get an adapter machined for the trailer hub mount.

I will give you a call later this season. Over the winter I may just have you do all three wheels and get this rig done right.

Thanks again.

Quote:
hi Jim,,your crap detector is working just fine...

IMHO,
1,,,you are riding a ticking bomb....wheels built with rims punched for a smaller diameter hub as is your case and forced to a larger diameter hub end up looking just like yours,,,,,the first place they start cracking is at juncture of nipple and spoke,,,,as they relax ,,they'll start to loosen because the shortest distance between two points is a straight line...in your set-up there is too big a deviation between the way the rim was drilled/punched and the optimal angle...

2,,the business of having one side X1 and the other X2 is of no concern,,,a common solution used by wheel-smiths to convert/adapt rims/hubs having different indexing ie either euro or jap....Notice the X2 pattern has a bigger kink than the X1...because the angles change more on X2 than X1

Rx = get the holes re-angled/relieved on rim ,,get properly drilled rim

IMHO you are ready for a nice re-build anyway...beadblast and seal hubs some nice beefier SS spokes and nipples,,,beadblast and powdercoat rim after angle correction.etc etc...

FYI we do all thee services hoping up sidecar wheels...got lot's of kudos from sidecar racers...building bullet-proof wheels for them

holler

woody
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #3088
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

sidecar upgrade on wheels...no problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Woody.

Given the rust on the spokes & nipples (as well as the rim), replacement with SS hardware makes sense. One of the guys in the Hacks section here also noted that it looks like the nipples are bottomed out on the spokes (no exposed threads left).

I would also like to use rims that have the valve stem pointing inward toward the hub like the original wheels. The front valve stem actually hits the left caliper without a rednecked piece of wire solution to pull it out of the way.

While we're wishing, running tubeless would be nice. That would allow me to run 90 degree valve stems.

I also want to replace the fugly disk sidecar wheel with a matching spoked wheel. I have another front hub to use for the conversion, I just have to get an adapter machined for the trailer hub mount.

I will give you a call later this season. Over the winter I may just have you do all three wheels and get this rig done right.

Thanks again.
we listen to what you think you want and recommend what we think ya need
and you'll walk away much happier in the long run
holler when you are ready...

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 06:37 PM
Old 09-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #3089
falcn
Squidless Soul

Oddometer: 291
450EXC coming - Have any LC4 rear hubs

Wondering if you have any LC4 rear hubs or complete wheels I could buy for putting a cush hub on the 450EXC or if I have to go the RAD hubs route?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #3090
E-Bum
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Hey Woody, wondering if you guys have any idea on timeline for the Africa Twin hubs I sent in to get laced to the Excels that I believe have arrived?

Thanks.
E-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote