User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #271
Vetmoto
I love motos

Oddometer: 160
I just wanna ride..

Coming up on 55 after 25 years working in the California power sports industry. Most of it with BMW, Ducati and some years with Japanese made products. Fortunate enough to retire early, now I ride motocross in the fall and winter months, in the summer it's day rides on my T595 Triumph Daytona (it an old 98 year model but I love it). Last year my wife bought me a 90th anniversary R12 GSA I ride most now ( I never imagined I'd ever own such a nice bike). She is wonderful.

I have always loved moto's but rode mostly because the industry didn't pay very well, but I loved bikes as well as on and off road bikes, so a car wasn't affordable with the cost of living in Ca. Rode the Santa Cruz mountains for 20, years now I'm in the Central Valley very close to the Sierra mountains, I don't live in a studio apt scraping money, and living on peanut butter sandwiches and lunches at the rescue mission. Once I was a transmission away from being homeless for six months, while my two bikes lived in a storage locker. Sad days.

Thank The Lord those days are behind me. I've always tried to be kind to my fellow man and those less fortunate. Things changed for me quickly. My first love from high school found me and we married in 2012. We've always been crazy about each other. Now I'm living a life I never dreamed possible. I had always thought I would have to work till my grave. Even so I never grumbled and accepted life as it was. I've served God as best that I could since my youth and now I have time to serve and ride more. I don't post much but love reading about all these "Inmate adventures".

Things in life can change in an instant and I could right back where I was, but I've always been happy rich or poor as long as I had a bike.
Vetmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #272
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 122
Approaching 58 riding for 34 of them. Hope to go out on two wheels instead of ending in being spoon fed oatmeal in a nursing home like my Dad. He was most afraid of that himself. I just hope going out not too soon.

Hoping to work for 4 for years before being forced into retirement that is becoming all too common nowadays. Haven't done bad but it will certainly be a huge lifestyle change. Maybe I'll just go homeless for a very long ride if my health permits

Moved from racing enduros/cross country in my teens and 20s to a 82 Sportster that my Dad and I rebuilt. Moved into various sport bikes and an Electraglide in the 30-40s until my old back forced me to naked bikes around 50 and the weight and lack of ride quality on the Harley pushed me to Advnt touring. Sort of like coming home from dirt bikes again.

Hypocritically discouraged my children (2 girls) from street riding after they grew up on a Yzinger 3 wheeler. Now entering the Grandson phase of life and wonder how I will or won't pass the tradition down. One is 2 and all about "cycles" already. Makes me happy and scared at the same time. The Son-in-law for the newborn has already expressed concern of Granddaddo making motorcycles too cool. Well they are too cool but I fully support their parents discouraging them into a very dangerous but fun sport. Hopefully if either do decide to enter into the sport in the coming years Granddado will be fit enough to help guide them into MC safety as an exMSF Rider Coach. That would be a fitting end for an Old Rider.
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #273
ayeroller
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
We were in NC a couple of weeks ago for the Buells in the Alps rally we had a Buell rider come down from Columbus, Ohio onn his bike he was 71 and then we met a rider up at Mt.Mitchel riding a ZX6 decked outnin full red leather he was 81. These guys give hope for the future
ayeroller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #274
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 114
Not sure if it's too distant to be relevant here, but the fellow I bought my TT350 from was in his late 70s, living in the California desert. He sold it because he could no longer kickstart a bike and was planning on getting something with electric start instead.

I hope I end up having to "give up" kickstarting at 78...
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #275
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Not sure if it's too distant to be relevant here, but the fellow I bought my TT350 from was in his late 70s, living in the California desert. He sold it because he could no longer kickstart a bike and was planning on getting something with electric start instead.

I hope I end up having to "give up" kickstarting at 78...
When you get to the realization you are finally getting older you gotta adapt and improvise . :0) haven't got to the point of looking for a stump to swing a leg over the bike but it's an option that shouldn't be ruled out.
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #276
kenbnt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hope I'm still riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeroller View Post
We were in NC a couple of weeks ago for the Buells in the Alps rally we had a Buell rider come down from Columbus, Ohio onn his bike he was 71 and then we met a rider up at Mt.Mitchel riding a ZX6 decked outnin full red leather he was 81. These guys give hope for the future
I'm 44 been riding since 15 and I hope I can still ride when Im 81 that will be a blessing. After my deer strike last oct. my coworkers ask "your still going to ride after that?"I can honestly say that until they asked the option of "not riding anymore" had really not entered my mind as part of the incident. Not trying to be brash or tough but "not riding" just did not enter my mind as a possible result of the crash.my wife just rolled her eyes when I told her what they ask me. She said" your coworker dont know how stupid you are ,I knew you wouldnt stop riding".
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #277
ak bike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
:0)
ak bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #278
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
There sure are a lot of "inspiring" comments on this thread. I should have read all of them sooner. Thanks everyone!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #279
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Last year I visited my little dual sport in AZ. It had been left there from the previous season when I rode the CDR. On this trip I was struggling trying to complete Camp Creek Wash, which is a big natural drainage that goes about 12 miles and drops some 1500 feet to Rio Verde. I logged onto this forum for tips to help me out. Finally I spooned some fresh knobby's and freshly armed with my tips, I made that wash end to end without any drama.

One of the inmates then invited me to join him and another rider for a trail ride somewhere around Bumble Bee. So I showed up at the agreed spot and pulled off my helmet. After a long pause, the inmate ask's me "How old are you anyway...?"

The day went well, although something called Turkey Creek fairly kicked my ass... I was 64 at the time, but the other rider who joind us was my age too! Of course, he was a lot more skillful than me. But it was a really good day.

I've noticed there are a lot of riders of my generation still doing dual sport charity rides and such. For those that still compete, they even have special classes for us.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #280
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,085
My uncle is in his early 70s, and just retired this year. He has been riding dual sports and dirt bikes all his life. He bought a BMW F800R last year, and is about to do the Iron Butt from Mexico to Canada in 24 hours.

Between chasing motorcycles up Big Bear in his Porsche, bombing the Mojave on his plated XR400R, and touring the western states on the F800 BMW, he literally has no time to post on the internet.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #281
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
this is a very inspiring, and sobering, post. thanks for putting it up

if i may ask, what is wrong with the heart? do they just start going bad at 50? heck man, it sounds exactly like we are discussing a part on a motorcycle

"it was great until 50K. these fuel pumps usually fail around 50K. and even once fixed they can go down again"

i really look after myself, too. and get check every few years. but i have had chest pains most of my life. even now. but the docs swear my heart, and all related, are fine. i have no blockage, build up, or otherwise. "healthy" heart, they say

i say i can't be too careful and like you, love to ride. so, what of these heart attacks? i hate when i read "it can happen to anyone." i think 'if it will happen to anyone it will be me, with the chest pains since his 20's'

hope not
I regrettably have a genetic problem causing small vessels (arteries). Added to that was that I was pre-diabetic (no one knew, even my doctors) and had developed diabetic arteries. Then add what would be a 20% blockage with the vessels of a normal heart and this all added up to a 95% blockage of my small arteries and BANG - a big heart attack. I am glad that I took pretty good care of myself and was in good physical condition at the time of my first heart attack. My only bad habit was that I was a long term smoker (caused my small arteries to be even smaller). So genetics got me.

Fifty seems to be a magic number for heart attacks. Looking at heart attacks in the USA most happen to men in their early fifties although with all the junk food young people eat heart attacks are coming earlier and earlier. Cholesterol is bad, causes blocked arteries. If you watch your cholesterol levels and keep them within normal limits (ask your doctor) eat properly and exercise regularly you should be just fine.

Can you tell I used to be a heart nurse (RN)?

Doug from Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #282
TM1(SS)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
I regrettably have a genetic problem causing small vessels (arteries). Added to that was that I was pre-diabetic (no one knew, even my doctors) and had developed diabetic arteries. Then add what would be a 20% blockage with the vessels of a normal heart and this all added up to a 95% blockage of my small arteries and BANG - a big heart attack. I am glad that I took pretty good care of myself and was in good physical condition at the time of my first heart attack. My only bad habit was that I was a long term smoker (caused my small arteries to be even smaller). So genetics got me.

Fifty seems to be a magic number for heart attacks. Looking at heart attacks in the USA most happen to men in their early fifties although with all the junk food young people eat heart attacks are coming earlier and earlier. Cholesterol is bad, causes blocked arteries. If you watch your cholesterol levels and keep them within normal limits (ask your doctor) eat properly and exercise regularly you should be just fine.

Can you tell I used to be a heart nurse (RN)?

Doug from Kentucky
Had my heart attack at 47 (due primarily to workaholism and no exercise at all), then last year, at 50, thought I was having another one, but it turned out to be acute hypokalemia. Bet your ass I'm a potato and banana eatin' fool now, and using the GS as my exercise !!
TM1(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #283
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,810
Ran into an old feller at a bike night going on next to a hotel I was staying at. Enjoyed chatting with him. He said he was 82 and had been retired for 22 years. Riding was his main passtime. He had just got back from a West Coast trip (this was in Ohio or somewhere like that) and when I looked at his K1200RS, it had over 140,000 miles on it. He said he had a couple of other bikes with more miles than that. When he left, he took off like a bat outta hell.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #284
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,847
I'm going on 55. Been riding a long time, street and dirt.
Started racing some about 2 yrs ago. Big difference between just riding and racing. So I pick and chose what sounds fun and or interesting. Ironmanned a 9 hr race, but only lasted 5 hrs. Rode to a Enduro, rode the Enduro, rode my tired azz home.
Having lotsa fun now, even if I come in last place .
Riding helps me stay fit, staying fit helps my riding !
Old 08-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #285
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,186
I am in my 70s, been riding for almost 60 years and switched over from cruisers to dual sport last year. Should have done this sooner; however, better late than never. As for my being old, it's only in body, not in mind.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote