Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
mopulga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Peru folks. I need your input porfavor

Hi all,
I am starting a trip in Colombia in August and will meet my partner in Lima in mid December. She will have about 16 days to spend with me in Peru.

Trying to plan an epic time with her while in Peru. Machu Pichu is on the list as a must do, but besides that, what should we hit?

Any hostal recommendations in Lima and outside at travel destinations are most appreciated.

Thanks folks.
i
mopulga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 679
Peru

The 3 N and 3S are awesome. We came north from Cusco to Canyon del Pato and then to Chimbote, but you can also come from Trujillo and then just do the good end of the canyon up and back. The ruins at Trujillo of the sun and moon temples are good. Caraz is a nice town. Arequipa is also nice. The coast road sucks although South of Nazca it is a bit more scenic. Cusco is stunning. you can buy Machu Picchu tickets at the kiosk in the Peru Rail station in the main square next to the cathedral. You can get train tickets from there or ride to Hydroelectric and walk or take the train from there. The other option is ride to Ollantaytambo and take the train or walk from there. There is a good bikers hostal in Cusco cheap, clean, and great location. The site of Moray and Moras in the sacred valley are cool. It is also possible to get a city pass for Cusco and the valley

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...co_Region.html

http://www.cusco-peru.info/cusco_tourist_ticket.htm

Cheers Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
mopulga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Saralou! Very much appreciate it.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
The other option is ride to Ollantaytambo and take the train or walk from there. There is a good bikers hostal in Cusco cheap, clean, and great location. The site of Moray and Moras in the sacred valley are cool. It is also possible to get a city pass for Cusco and the valley
Very good advice above from Saralou, the Sacred Valley is absolutely spectacular! I really enjoyed taking the "back route" to Machu Picchu:

From Cusco, there is a nice dirt track to Laguna Huaypo:

From the lake, you can continue another hour on the scenic dirt road to the Salt Pans of Maras (there is a small fee for entering private property):

And from the Salt Pans, you are only 30 minutes from the touristic ruins and town of Ollantaytambo:

And from Ollantaytambo, you are only 30 minutes from arguably one of the best mountain pass roads in the world, Abra de Malaga (at 14,100 ft. elevation):

And once you cross the high mountain pass, you are only an hour away from Peru's own Death Road, the cliff- hugging track from Santa Maria to Santa Teresa:

And while you are in Santa Teresa, you may want to continue 45 minutes to Hydroelectrica. Why Hydroelectrica? Because from there it is only a two hour hike (or quick train ride) to Aquas Calientes at the base of Machu Picchu:

Peru in general, and the Sacred Valley in particular provide the ultimate landscape for motorcycling adventure.

Enjoy!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
mopulga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Poolman! She flies into Lima. Now we are thinking that perhaps a good meeting place will be Cusco. More research needed.

Thanks again for the suggestions. We sat after dinner looking at your report and admired your pictures and report.

I admit, we puckered at the death road. Being two up might be more of a mental challenge, albeit looks like you went in the rainy season. We will be on a pretty packed DR650. If you have other suggestions, please let me know. We also ran across the report you referenced: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=541194&page=9

lots to look at there.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Hi,

We live in Huanuco, Peru, right in the middle of 3N and 3S. I run a moto tour company here in Peru and after 30 years here I can say I pretty much know every corner of the country...

Don't miss the northern and central areas just because of the attractions of Cuzco area. Yet 16 days is VERY little time too see too many places. But DO STAY AWAY from the coast!

I would say meet in Huaraz (she can catch a flight or bus out of Lima), then come the back way to Huanuco (stay with Sara and I) and up the center to Cuzco. Most is paved and just about the right amount of days to enjoy everything. You need more time if you want to get any of the jungle in!

Cheers! Toby

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
charapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
mopulga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Toby.

I very much appreciate your suggestions. I sent you a message separately.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
OK Lucinda
n00b

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by charapa View Post
Hi,

We live in Huanuco, Peru, right in the middle of 3N and 3S. I run a moto tour company here in Peru and after 30 years here I can say I pretty much know every corner of the country...

Don't miss the northern and central areas just because of the attractions of Cuzco area. Yet 16 days is VERY little time too see too many places. But DO STAY AWAY from the coast!

I would say meet in Huaraz (she can catch a flight or bus out of Lima), then come the back way to Huanuco (stay with Sara and I) and up the center to Cuzco. Most is paved and just about the right amount of days to enjoy everything. You need more time if you want to get any of the jungle in!

Cheers! Toby
Agree totally, but if anyone does end up on the coast, I thought Paracas, with the incredible sand riding and mind blowing landscapes wasn't a bad place to be. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. And then a little further south the most beautiful Latinas in Peru, in Arequipa. Just an opinion.
OK Lucinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,780
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers! Toby
Damn, I wish I'd known you are in Huanuco. I agree with this advice, Chachapoyas, Quelap, Huaraz, Huascaran, Chavin, Huanuco, Huancayo, Ayacucho, Andahuaylas, it's all good. 16 days is going to be tough but you'll get to see some epic stuff if you plan it right.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Damn, I wish I'd known you are in Huanuco. I agree with this advice, Chachapoyas, Quelap, Huaraz, Huascaran, Chavin, Huanuco, Huancayo, Ayacucho, Andahuaylas, it's all good. 16 days is going to be tough but you'll get to see some epic stuff if you plan it right.
Misery Goat,

I've only been in Huanuco since last Sept. Where are you now?

"Those friends thou hast... and their adoption tried... grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel. But do not dull thy palm with entertainment of each new-hatch'd, unfledg'd comrade...." Polonius in Hamlet
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
Juice_Pope
Gauchito Yanqui

Oddometer: 36
Cdp!

Quote:
Same here. Don't know why I didn't think to check ADV to see if there was anyone to meet with while riding north from Cusco. Instead I spent 2 days in Huanuco sick as a dog after a bad restaurant recommendation

As far as suggestions, Can del Pato is as good if not better than people say it is. If you're going to be in/around Huascaran and the Cordillera Blanca, I wouldn't go on the roads on the east side of the mountains (between Chacas and Huanuco) unless I was really looking for some challenging riding. IMO the views were just as good when I got to the easier roads closer to Huaraz

I entered Peru via Arica, Chile, but stayed away from the coast for most of my time in the country. There is some good riding on the coast but its interspersed with LOTS of boring straightaways through the desert, whereas the mountains are much more liberal with twisty roads and great views. I can confidently say that the north coast is miserable unless you really like sugarcane fields and flat highways
Old 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,780
Quote:
Misery Goat,

I've only been in Huanuco since last Sept. Where are you now?
I'm in Arizona no longer traveling and working for the man again.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
charapa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm in Arizona no longer traveling and working for the man again.
Well, stop in next time you are in town!

Maybe come down for the DAKAR SERIES 'Desafio Inca' Sept 8-14??

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 AM   #14
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Peru is my favorite. But curiously I still haven't been the Machu Pichu which is on every ones must do list. Probably why I haven't been there yet.

Dang there are so many incredible places in Peru. Quelap Chachapoyas..wow!
But my last journey up to Tarapoto (the city of palms) and to Yurimaguas and the river boat to Iquitos was my biggest adventure yet. I still need to do a RR.
From Iquitos I rode the riverboat to Pucallpa, one of my favorite non-touristy cities. Spent a few nights in Tingo Maria which is also refreshingly off the tourist beat.

Maybe I'll got to Machu Pichu someday, but honestly I'd rather go back to Quelap, Tarapoto, Tingo Maria and Pucallpa.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote