ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: I have been to the county of Fuckshire, it was ...
Nice? 29 13.12%
Nasty? 30 13.57%
Nasty but nice? 162 73.30%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #5521
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Oddometer: 3,914
Now here's a question...

I wonder about oil. Specifically I wonder about whether people use engine oil which is not specifically labelled for motosickles. Now I've seen an informative discussion about this somewhere in a BMW based group on FB some time ago but I can't recall its contents, or where it was and I don't have the time, patience or bandwidth/speed to find it.

I imagine it revolves around some components/additives in one that you wouldn't find in another or vice versa. Sometimes I've seen this referring to combined engine/gearbox contexts where the inducement of clutch slip may be an issue. But of course that's not an issue with Airheads... Everywhere I look I see car labelled oil substantially cheaper than bike labelled oil, and the angle of the discussion referred to above was that (some) general car oil is fine, given certain conditions/blends, which I can't remember...

So it comes down to this - what's the cheapest oil I can run? Any recommendations on W rating (for use in the Former United Commonwealth Kingdoms) and thoughts on synth/semisynth etc. ?

Now I know that peeple are somewhat anal about good quality oil & regular changes in Beemers, but you have to remember it's the DMW we're talking about here. It's on way over 170k miles, and it's a bit of a leaky wreck, so do bare that in mind yeah?

Now I know that the venerable Snowbum has probably said pretty much all that can be said here, but I'm interested in divergent opinions from mere mortals such as your good selves
Old 08-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #5522
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 444
20/50 car oil. Proper motorcycle oil is expensive due to combined wet clutch and gear box but u know that 😁
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 AM   #5523
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 701
Funny you mention it. I happen to be doing this right now:

It's 20/50 Castrol, SG rated. This is motorcycle oil, but only because it was on sale for $4.99 (2.98) a liter. But once I run out, I'd have no probs using any regular 20/50 car oil, like DBD says (as long as its SG rated).

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #5524
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

. . . and I live in the same state as Snowbum, so it's like getting it straight from the Bum's mouth*.

*at least im pretty sure he lives on the California side of beautiful Lake Tahoe

* Posts submitted under the moniker Thorazine are for entertainment purposes only, and may include exaggerations, prevarications or bald-faced lies. -- Thorazine - '74 R90/6
Old 08-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #5525
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,391
Oil straight from Snowbum's mouth?
Old 08-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #5526
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

20/50 SG, Bubba. Barrels of it, all for Plank. Freeing up his s for more crumpets & kidney pie.

No need to even bring up spotted dick and fitless cock.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:03 PM   #5527
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Stand on a cliff, the drop to your rear, take one step forward, two steps back...

Originator unknown

My left boot is now thoroughly embroiled in oil, seemingly thrown out from the rear of the left cylinder, from between the cylinder & the head by the pressured left side inlet rocker oil feed. It's seemingly certainly there rather than from the head/rocker join.

So whilst I have sourced some viable cheap oil to save up for there seems little point in putting it in as it all just comes out. That's even ignoring the fact that I must save up for a bendy oil filter of the oil cooler type too to make a lube swap viable. While there has been a little misting on that side (mostly from the rocker cover as usual) for some time, 22 miles into a 25 mile run I felt my left peg getting slippy. I stroked the base of my boot and my gloved hand returned lubricated. I thought fuck it and did the last three miles and then on static examination found increased weapage/drippage from the position described above.

Now, I think I know what's going on in that when I recently did the valve clearances the top-right-rocker-bolt was unwilling to tighten right up to torque on the left jug, whereas the other 3 stud bolts & two head bolts on that side (& the other) all nipped up to book, in the diagonal/top/bottom order the book specifies. It felt like either 1] the stud was turning into the block (& therefore towards the crank journal as the block thread is, to my memory, not blind but runs thru/ough into the crankcase? *), or b] that the thread is unhappy at the rocker end (or {...insert your deity...} forbid in the block) and the bolt was slipping like they do when a thread's eaten (i.e. tightens/pops looser/Rpt./tighten to just before clicks & hope). I didn't think at the time but I could have swapped the socket I was using for a spanner which might have given some vague diagnostic indication as to whether the stud was turning or bolt slipping, maybe. Of course the entire issue may derive from some other problem, but this looseness, to my inbred untellect, seems a probable source of the problem.

I have some other studs, with good threads so I can perhaps pull the left inlet rocker block & inspect the threads on the top stud and then depending on what I find I can either 1] stop the current stud spinning long enough to get a good purchase with the bolt to facilitate correct torqueage, or b] pressure the current bolt on the current stud with another bolt behind it on visibly good thread (hmmmm - bodge) or III] I can try to remove the offending stud (if the thread at the rocker end is indeed borked) and replace it with one of the others I have with the jug otherwise in-situ, and with quasi-judicious measurement hope to seat it in the block far enough to be strong but not far enough to protrude into the crankcase.

This throws up a number of variables, the largest being that if I look at the 8 studs in a spare set, each side has one that's longer than the others, and I don't rightly recall which of the four placements that one goes into. I suppose that if I am able to get the current incumbent out (without snagging the o-ring at the cylinder base on the way in or out, tho/ough it should be compressed in place?) I can of course compare it and replicate what I did on the original engine build, even if that were wrong. At least it would be the same kind of wrong and I might be able to get the rocker top bolt up to torque, which may seal the oil leak... But that's a grate big pile of maybe.

The pics I have sourced online seem mostly to show sets of studs all the same length, however the two sets I have and the left & right sets installed on the bike certainly had the length differential on one stud. So woty'all got where & what's the general opinion as to how to (incompetently) proceed? The back bolt bodge option may be a short-term fix which may also indicate if a seal is possible, and the application of a bit of gunk cleaner may show the location of the leak to aid with me knowing what the fuck it's doing...

In the meantime the bike is usable for short hops, but anything over a few miles is out. I can't describe how it feels to have made so much progress lately to be dumped right back on my ass. That observation is relevant for the bike but might as well be applied to my wider life. If you only knew, but a gentleman never speaks of such matters, only gently infers as I have done there...

* Do tell me if I'm wrong, but that's what I recall, and that's what I have in front of me.

planktonnn screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 06:02 AM Reason: Clarity of side... Unfinished line...
planktonnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #5528
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #5529
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Today is International Larry Sanders day.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #5530
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,391
It's the chorus, It's the chorus . . .

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #5531
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,882
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #5532
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Outstanding. best oil change ever

Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #5533
planktonnn OP
.also, i am a twat

Quote:
Originally Posted by planktonnn View Post
... (or {...insert your deity...} forbid in the block) ...
After fiddling & investigation it seems to be the thread in the block, fuck bugger piss.

Well that's me shot then
Old 08-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #5534
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 444
Bugger shit piss exactly😵
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM   #5535
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
Outstanding. best oil change ever
Correction, THIS is the best oil change ever.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote