ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #1
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Oddometer: 516
Australian in LA needs guidence

Howdy

I'm Will, 21 years old and from Australia. I went to the states for 5 weeks last year on my legs and had a blast.. so I've decided to return! The plan is something like: ride around the US for 2 or 3 months, sell my bike on the East coast, then travel up to Canada where I'll live for a year or 2 on a working holiday visa. Due to everything going wrong down here all at once over the last couple of weeks I've been left pretty unprepared and I'd love it if I could get some help off some LA based ADV riders in exchange for beer and a funny accent to laugh at.

So I'm landing in LAX on Monday, the 11th of August at 11am, and from there I'll be catching a bus to a local shopping mall, buying a sim card and camera, then I'll be going to a bike shop, buying a helmet and other bits and pieces, then I go to pickup my KLR650.

The things I need help with:

○What prepaid phone carrier will give me good coverage across most of the US and lots of internet usage.

○My KLR650 is located near 9990 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills - Can anyone recommend a motorcycle shop near here (preferably en-route from the airport)

○How the hell does rego and insurance work over yonder?!

Any help is greatly appreciated, especially with the rego and insurance!

Cheers, Will!

My current ride.

wild0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild0 View Post
Howdy

I'm Will, 21 years old and from Australia. I went to the states for 5 weeks last year on my legs and had a blast.. so I've decided to return! The plan is something like: ride around the US for 2 or 3 months, sell my bike on the East coast, then travel up to Canada where I'll live for a year or 2 on a working holiday visa. Due to everything going wrong down here all at once over the last couple of weeks I've been left pretty unprepared and I'd love it if I could get some help off some LA based ADV riders in exchange for beer and a funny accent to laugh at.

So I'm landing in LAX on Monday, the 11th of August at 11am, and from there I'll be catching a bus to a local shopping mall, buying a sim card and camera, then I'll be going to a bike shop, buying a helmet and other bits and pieces, then I go to pickup my KLR650.

The things I need help with:

○What prepaid phone carrier will give me good coverage across most of the US and lots of internet usage. ATT or Verizon will be your best bets, T-Mobile works fairly well depending on where your at.

○My KLR650 is located near 9990 Wilshire Blvd, Beverly Hills - Can anyone recommend a motorcycle shop near here (preferably en-route from the airport)

○How the hell does rego and insurance work over yonder?!

Registration will be completed at the time of sale if your going through a dealer. If its private party its a different story. Hopefully someone who's been in your shoes will chime in.

Any help is greatly appreciated, especially with the rego and insurance!

Cheers, Will!

Not much help other then that but I am in Hollywood, PM me if your going to be near Hollywood. Cheers
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 614
Will,

My wife has Net10 prepaid service with internet but net connectivity is only in major areas. While phone is everywhere.

Not sure of any motorcycle shops in the Hollywood area, are you buying a new bike or used?

For plating I would go to www.dmv.ca.gov to see about non resident license plates. You will need insurance so some sort I just don't know who you would contact. I have Progressive insurance you might email them and ask about a policy. My insurance is only $75 a year by the way.

Good luck with your adventure
Old 08-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,904
i don't recall any good kawasaki or independent shop in the area. if there is, someone ought to chime in.

best is check out this site:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25171
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,974
Info

Check out this thread. Get a hold of these two as they can answer most of your questions. I bet they would be happy to give you some tips.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981917
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
kumatae
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I don't know what your budget is with the phone and the monthly plan but I would go with Straightalk. For $45 a month you get unlimited data, talk and text with no contract. You can bring your own device which is also nice. Best thing is their coverage is pretty awesome since they use either AT&T or Verizon cell towers dending on the type of phone you use. And I think everyone will agree that they are the two carriers that they would trust for travels in the US. You can buy their monthly plan at any walmart which can be found throughout US or buy it in advance. Go visit a walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Straight-T...reless/1045119
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
rruugger
formally rruugger

Oddometer: 1,272
Hollywood Honda would be fairly close. I'm sure they would take care of ya. My buddy bought his klr there and had it serviced reg. Independeds are all over , guess it depends on which way your heading, or you could punt all together go to Beverly Hills Ducati and reconfigure your whole trip and wallet
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,434
So what did you decide Will? Are you coming my way or what? I have plans to make.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
So what did you decide Will? Are you coming my way or what? I have plans to make.
Just sent you off an email! I'm coming your way I guess!

The above James is helping me with DMV and insurance so that's all sorted!

Quote:
Hollywood Honda would be fairly close. I'm sure they would take care of ya. My buddy bought his klr there and had it serviced reg. Independeds are all over , guess it depends on which way your heading, or you could punt all together go to Beverly Hills Ducati and reconfigure your whole trip and wallet
I sent them off an email regarding helmets, but they should be the pick as they're only 5 miles down the road from the bike.

Quote:
I don't know what your budget is with the phone and the monthly plan but I would go with Straightalk. For $45 a month you get unlimited data, talk and text with no contract. You can bring your own device which is also nice. Best thing is their coverage is pretty awesome since they use either AT&T or Verizon cell towers dending on the type of phone you use. And I think everyone will agree that they are the two carriers that they would trust for travels in the US. You can buy their monthly plan at any walmart which can be found throughout US or buy it in advance. Go visit a walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Straight-T...reless/1045119

Thanks, I'll definetly be going with these guys! Last time I was in the US I went with T-mobile

Thanks heaps for your help fellas! Sorry for the delayed response I've been flat knacker getting everything ready! I'll keep yall posted!

My current ride.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Mate trust in ADV you will get some fantastic help, I did on my last trip.
I did one trip with out ADV (well before I found it) and had a great time LA to Seattle and back then the next trip I found ADV while buying a bike from an inmate in Delaware and that just opened a whole new world of kindness and mateship from complete strangers.
Embrace ADV it will only enhance your trip oh and when you get back home or settled wherever put your self on the "tentspace" thread and return some of that hospitality karma is an awesome thing.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
wild0 OP
Rubber duck

Well I made it!! Thanks so much for Tuckers and his wife Colleen's help and hospitality. I'd be lost without them.

I'm going to try and keep a RR updated as best as I can here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002557

Appreciate everyone's help. Maybe I'll see ya on the road! Peace!

My current ride.