ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Riding near SLO

Fellow inmates I seek suggestions for some nice trails near SLO

Thinking about heading up Monday from LA to visit a lady friend who is going to Cal Poly SLO. Anyone have some nice adventure trails near SLO that you would recommend? Probably only able to ride a few hours Monday and Tuesday

Riding a DR650, setup for 50/50 riding.

Thanks!
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 751
Pozo is about the closest thing to San Luis and there are plenty of trails there to challenge you on a DR650. You could also ride Hi Mountain road that connects Pozo to the Lopez lake area. Hi Mountain is just a FS road but Garcia Ridge trail starts there and has a few technical spots along the way. Let me know if you want a riding partner, I'm about 1/2 hr south and should be free on Monday.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,271
What J said. I'd go down to Arroyo Grande and up to Lake Lopez to Hi Mtn Road.. ride that all the way over to Pozo. The saloon there is a nice watering hole. Then maybe take Pozo Rd over to Hwy 58 and back into Santa Margarita and back down 101 to SLO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Pozo is about the closest thing to San Luis and there are plenty of trails there to challenge you on a DR650. You could also ride Hi Mountain road that connects Pozo to the Lopez lake area. Hi Mountain is just a FS road but Garcia Ridge trail starts there and has a few technical spots along the way. Let me know if you want a riding partner, I'm about 1/2 hr south and should be free on Monday.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Thanks for the trail info, let me see if I am 100% in and I will let you know about Monday.

For route, would the Hi Mountain road/ Garcia Ridge Trail loop below be on point?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cali...d35.305005!3e0

Molonlabemike screwed with this post 08-15-2014 at 07:51 PM
Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
optopilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
+1 on Hi Mtn Road. Consider super SLO riding views

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
What J said. I'd go down to Arroyo Grande and up to Lake Lopez to Hi Mtn Road.. ride that all the way over to Pozo. The saloon there is a nice watering hole. Then maybe take Pozo Rd over to Hwy 58 and back into Santa Margarita and back down 101 to SLO.
If you want outstanding views; take a short run up Forrest Rt. 29S11 at the top of Cuesta. Lots of broken pavement. You have the right bike for it and you will not be disappointed in the views. Out of Avila; See Canyon up over to Prefumo Canyon is also outstanding. This is all paved nicely. I would definitely try for the road off of Cuesta.
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Thanks for the trail info, let me see if I am 100% in and I will let you know about Monday.

For route, would the Hi Mountain road/ Garcia Ridge Trail loop below be on point?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cali...d35.305005!3e0
If you want a little more dirt, hang a right at Pozo (instead of the left you show on your map.) Follow that to Parkhill Rd, turn right on Forest Route 29s02 (you will turn right when you see a big TeePee), paved road will turn to dirt, follow dirt road (if you want to do some trail riding, this is a good place) all the way to Hwy 58 and then turn left.

Garcia Ridge is a decent trail, but being an out-and-back it will kill a good amount of time. If you skip that and head for Pozo you can ride trails parallel to the route I suggested above and not have to backtrack.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
Molonlabemike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you want a little more dirt, hang a right at Pozo (instead of the left you show on your map.) Follow that to Parkhill Rd, turn right on Forest Route 29s02 (you will turn right when you see a big TeePee), paved road will turn to dirt, follow dirt road (if you want to do some trail riding, this is a good place) all the way to Hwy 58 and then turn left.

Garcia Ridge is a decent trail, but being an out-and-back it will kill a good amount of time. If you skip that and head for Pozo you can ride trails parallel to the route I suggested above and not have to backtrack.
Ok cool, I'm thinking I'll be leaving at some point in the AM as I hope to be up there around 12/1. Once I figure out if I can throw my stuff at my friends house I'll be looking to ride. Not sure if you are on any time constraints or have already made plans. I'll PM you my number if you still up to ride
Old 08-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Good riding with you yesterday, now you know your DR can do real singletrack even with bags! If you're ever up this way again, there's a lot more trails in the area, I'm sure you'd enjoy them more without the 350 mile road jaunt beforehand.