ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #1516
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jking View Post
Jaun,

Question for you. How hard is the TID T-1 trail? Could I make it on the F800GS? I know the web site says don't take a big bike out there but....

Second, I picked up a XR 400 so I will see you on the Downieville ride. I'm ridding the ride Saturday, then depending on how I feel, I might go ridding Sunday, if you're around lets talk Saturday after the ride.

See you there.

Jerry
JKing!

That's a loaded question on a public forum! And I agree with the website.

I'd take the 400 with a big tank,and scout it out. Idaho don't care much about plates. (maybe downtown Pocatello would be an issue).

Could you imagine picking the 800 up here?

DAY 1 TRAIL -MUCH STEEPER AND MORE TECHNICAL JUST AROUND THE CORNER

Sheeit, there ain't even a tree to winch too...and much of the T-1 singletrack is like this and steeper.

Each day the T1 has trails equivalent to Downieville's Second Divide and Fiddle Creek, only much much longer.

A Cali black diamond trail is a green dot in Idaho. Relentless.

That being said I know (after riding with you) that with YOUR riding ability, much of the T-1 is doable for YOU (kids don't try this at home, professional rider on a closed course...)on the 800, the trick would be modifying a T-1/T-3 big bike hybrid track that avoids the gnarliest singletrack. The only way to do that (I think) is scout it out on the 400 1st.

I am very interested in checking out the T-3 on a big bike in the future. The T-3 is a big bike version of the T-1.

Disclaimer-I've only been on 500 miles of the TID T1, heading back up for more TID fun in a couple weeks. (Days 5-7).

Here's one of my most challenging days, T1 Day 4 solo and on the wrong track...and briefly lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGbv...zjNbONVmY-0J7Q

Juan
Nevada City
More TID '14 pics here
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #1517
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Not that you asked or anything, but I'm in on the T3 ride.

I did portions of the T3 solo in June. I'm gonna go back and want to do more. Idaho is awesome.

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more moto.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #1518
visualizerent
Raconteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
Not that you asked or anything, but I'm in on the T3 ride.

I did portions of the T3 solo in June. I'm gonna go back and want to do more. Idaho is awesome.
How far did you get on the T-3 in June? was snow a problem? Which bike?

I think it would be fun to launch from Nevada City on adv bikes, backroads to Soldier Meadows, Bog Hot (Denio), T-2 to T-3 then some kinda interesting loop back that includes favorite hot springs along the way (Burgdorf, Golden Fork ect.). Camp off bikes (mostly), couple weeks of riding (phew). JB
Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #1519
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
How far did you get on the T-3 in June? was snow a problem? Which bike?

I think it would be fun to launch from Nevada City on adv bikes, backroads to Soldier Meadows, Bog Hot (Denio), T-2 to T-3 then some kinda interesting loop back that includes favorite hot springs along the way (Burgdorf, Golden Fork ect.). Camp off bikes (mostly), couple weeks of riding (phew). JB
The last two years I have taken the last week of June and first week of July to ride through NV, ID, MT, WY. First year was on an RT and this year was on a KLR.

I had the T3 on my GPS, but never confirmed exactly how much I did. I entered ID at the southwest corner, hit Silver City, Boise, Stanley. Once in Stanley I worked up the Salmon on dirt and pavement. I was solo with a loaded bike so I didn't want to get too crazy. Eventually tried to work west but the road was closed due to bridge work and not snow. Went north to Lolo Pass and then turned east to Jackson Hole. The riding in ID and western Montana is off the charts. I crossed the Gravelly Range in MT and that was like Disneyland on a motorcycle.

I have a fever, and the only prescription is more moto.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #1520
ldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Chiming in

Colfax here
Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM   #1521
keeper1616
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldrider View Post
Colfax here
keeper1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #1522
Fleck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Adventure Ride

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n3vNlOf8qpw
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #1523
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Sacramento Riders Thread DS & ADV

I'm planning on doing Henness Pass in a one day there-and-back next Monday (Sept 15th). It's my first time (though I've lived in the area nearly my entire life!- late to dirt road exploring)

I'll be taking one or two others, and anyone may join who's interested. We'll be leaving Nevada city by 8:00am to fit it all in, with a destination of Cabelas (to pick up some rimfire ammo I have on hold there).

Im on my trusty 1978 yamaha xs650, the Yambler. We've done this year's Sheetiron 300 together. The other guy is on a zook 250.

Let me know if you're interested (especially if you've done it before-guide experience requested!).

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=159697770713381
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #1524
visualizerent
Raconteur

i'm going to join Troop on the 350 excf. i'll be returning from the Reno Air Races on the 350 and looking for some more riding after part 2 of the tour of Idaho....we'll meet enroute.

jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopThrowback View Post
I'm planning on doing Henness Pass in a one day there-and-back next Monday (Sept 15th). It's my first time (though I've lived in the area nearly my entire life!- late to dirt road exploring)

I'll be taking one or two others, and anyone may join who's interested. We'll be leaving Nevada city by 8:00am to fit it all in, with a destination of Cabelas (to pick up some rimfire ammo I have on hold there).

Im on my trusty 1978 yamaha xs650, the Yambler. We've done this year's Sheetiron 300 together. The other guy is on a zook 250.

Let me know if you're interested (especially if you've done it before-guide experience requested!).

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
Old 09-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #1525
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Woohoo!

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #1526
TroopThrowback
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh yeah, don't miss this either:

Keep the Faith!
Throwbacks MC
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #1527
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 735
King fire near Sly Park

This morning from Granite Springs.

3:00 today From the Shell station in Sly Park.

Close as I have even been to that big of a fire.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #1528
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
It's already jumped the canyon and getting a start north-east. I feel sorry for people up in P.Pines, that must be terrifying.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #1529
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

It's well established north of the river on both sides of Silver Creek. Union Valley res. and Pino Grande are both in it's path. I've done a lot of riding in that area, this could be a big, bad fire.

http://yubanet.com/nevada/King.php
Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #1530
St.Stan
Gnarly Adventurer

I was going to ride up to the Big Hill fire lookout by Union Valley Reservoir to get a look at the fire, but the Crystal Basin is now closed to looky loos. The evacuation area stretches from the Crystal Basin on the east, to Wentworth Springs and even 11 Pines to the north, and Mosquito - Swansboro on the west. That is one big patch of territory. They're even worried it could jump Slab Creek Reservoir and run up the hill to the Camino - Pollock Pines area.

This will probably end up being larger than last years American Fire, uphill from Foresthill. Weather outlook isn't helping matters at all.