Oddometer: 96
Awesome going!
Old 08-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #122
Koos
Wheeled Wanderer

Oddometer: 229
Thank you

Great report...

I live in Perth, Australia but grew up in South Africa and are planning a round the lakes ride in the necxt 5 years, SA, Botswana, Zambia, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and back via Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique.

DR650....well equipped
The Grey Mare "flying brickette" '96 BMW K75 RT......love that bike!
F 800 GS [Sold] - the bike the GS was always intended to be
Koos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #123
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
So you're going to do the same route we did but just reversed. If you do get your trip together try to get more time than 40 days. I would have been much happier if we could have had 2 or 3x's the time there as there was so much to see and do and we would have had more time to spend in each village, city or town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koos View Post
Great report...

I live in Perth, Australia but grew up in South Africa and are planning a round the lakes ride in the necxt 5 years, SA, Botswana, Zambia, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya and back via Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique.

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306
SurfnnRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #124
oceanluvr30
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am new to the forum, been lurking for a while and I am really enjoying reading the various ride reports. Man you guys take some great rides....just wondering are you taking time off from work? I just don't seem able to cobble together more than a week or two. I think i need to readjust my thinking and perhaps priorities. Anyway, looking forward to more of your report
oceanluvr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #125
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Now you're screwed

This place is worse than crack cocaine in regards to addiction. You get to vicariously live out the adventures that the crazy/wacky/off the cuff kind of people do that always make for interesting times and stories.

Personally my wife and I own my own company and work from home. Can do what we want as long as we have a cell to answer calls, emails etc...

Learned every single aspect of how a company I worked for ran and worked my way up from sales to management and then learned how to do every persons position at that company.

Entire time we were working for other companies we were saving everything we were making so we would have capital when it came time for us to leave and start our own company.

Just my story since you're asking how we (I) can do this type of travel.

Lots of different backgrounds here. Retirees, CEO's, self employed, unemployed, college kids just graduated who want adventure before corp life etc....

Just save money and you can do anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanluvr30 View Post
I am new to the forum, been lurking for a while and I am really enjoying reading the various ride reports. Man you guys take some great rides....just wondering are you taking time off from work? I just don't seem able to cobble together more than a week or two. I think i need to readjust my thinking and perhaps priorities. Anyway, looking forward to more of your report

2014 Uganda to South Africa and Back! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=966306

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 10:23 AM
Old 08-22-2014, 08:38 AM   #126
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we get back on the bikes and leave Victoria Falls as we head into Zimbabwe.

But..... there was something I had to handle first.

Filled out the paperwork and back on the bridge I was. I tried to get Leo to go with me but he didn't look all that enthused and he had a previous bad experience with this so he passed.

Got my boots and most of my gear off and took a seat as I was next in line.

Thumbs up and ready to roll as they strap me in:

I've done this a few times before so I was a BIT surprised when the guy pulls out 2 towels and basically a thick tie down strap and he starts wrapping my feet with towels.

He wraps both feet with towels and then runs the strap around and through my legs and hooks that to the bungee. Ummm...... I'm used to a nice harness with velcro and multiple straps that lock your feet in. NOT 2 FRIGGEN TOWELS AND A TIE DOWN STRAP!!

But at this point I'm not going to back out so screw it. Lets Go!

Video first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJfqLIaJVSs

1 small step for mankind. 1 giant leap for stupidity

Go Pro in one hand and cell phone strapped to my wrist on the other. I'll try to find the cell footage later:

Came close to the water:

This setup to attach you to the bungee is SUPER safe:

I think Leo has some pics of the jump and unfortunately the SD card I bought from the jump place got broken in half so all the video from the jump, that I paid $50 for, is gone. Oh well.

Was one hell of a thrill though!! I was so jacked with adrenaline when we were done that I hopped back on my bike afterwards and took off without undoing the cable lock on my front disc brake and tire. Shredded it around the front rim and wrapped it all around the axle.

After some time working the tire backwards we were able to get it unwound and some how there wasn't any damage to the disc or rim/tire/spokes. Whew!

Off to Zimbabwe!!!!

Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #127
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So we're cruising through Zimbabwe without any plans so we figure we need to find something to do. After some research and asking some locals we found something cool to go check out and off we went.

We had to cover a lot of miles today to get to where we wanted to go so we railed that throttle and the miles flew bye.

We see a few of these signs so I'm getting excited that we might actually see one...

Until we come flying around a long bend and a cop is standing in the middle of the road waving his arms. Rut roh....

He says we were passing cars across solid lines and now we had to pay a ticket. I figure the police system here is probably similar to mexico and most 3rd world countries and it's a back and forth game and eventually the price gets worked down and you pay the man and off you go.

And that was pretty much what it was. Don't know if the money actually went back to the police force acct or if he pocketed it but either way or we were off and running again for $30 USD. Not bad considering that would have been $200-$300 in the US, your insurance would have gone up and you would have had to go to traffic school.

I'll take a small $ bribe and then I'm done with the infraction any day over the US system.

So off were rolling again and we find a nice little place to grab some lunch. They had this taped to the bar rail. Guess it would have bought you a loaf of bread back in the day. Nuts how bad the inflation was in Zimbabwe before the currency collapsed and they moved to the USD.

Had some cool murals on the walls:

Some more behind me in this selfie:

Had to have a couple beers:

This was a family owned business and we were talking to a lady who was working there and she was acting very secretive and hush hush with the way she was talking. Turns out that ever since the Zimbabwe government kicked out the white farmers, so that they could give the farm land back to the Zimbabwe locals by giving them all individual lots, there has been a lot of tension between the two races. The end result (from what I was told by a few different people) was that the locals didn't have knowledge on crop rotations or irrigation etc.. and they land ended up getting ruined and the crop production basically disappeared. The white farmers moved to SA or Zambia and now grow their crops there and sell them back to Zimbabwe at an elevated price just out of spite for kicking them out. So that whole thought process not only ruined the soil quality but stopped food production in-country and then massive unemployment occurred due to there being no crops to work. That leads to food shortages and further reliance on the WFB.

Just what I heard from different people on the road so I I don't know if it is true or not but it was interesting. You could feel the tension as it seemed everyone was kind of listening in on what other people were saying.

Anyway got some good lunch in us and off we went.

So as I was following the map I just realized that I messed up the order of things... Need to reorganize real quick....

O.K... turns out this is the night we stayed at Hwange National Park. That is in Zimbabwe not Zambia. Things are a bit fuzzy after all this time!

So now this part goes here... This is where we stayed the first night after seeing Victoria Falls and Bungee Jumping.

We find a lodge about 150 miles into Zimbabwe at the Hwange National Park and we beeline to that down some fast dirt roads.

When we get there we find out it is quite a bit out of our price range but what the heck. Need to splurge once in a while and they were serving a 4 course meal

Backside of the lodge with pool:

Dining Area. All of the guests ate family style around 1 big table. Leo and I looked a bit like vagrants at this time so they made us sit by ourselves on a tiny table away from the "regular" people.

They have some cool "raised" huts that surround a watering hole so the elephants and other wildlife come right up to your front door all throughout the day. Unfortunately when we were there a big rain storm had just come through so the animals had plenty of fresh water to drink all over. I'm a bit bummed because I really want to see an elephant, rhino, lion or cheetah in it's wild habitat but as most of you probably already know they do not let motorcycles in the game parks.

Sucks but it makes sense. A lion could easily take you out from the bush if you're not careful. So still haven't seen an elephant yet. IT WILL HAPPEN ONE DAY DANGIT!! We could stay at this lodge because you had to rent a truck and hire a guide to take you into the park. Even though some animals came right to this water hole.

African poolside recliners:

Basket of local artifacts:

Cool Art:

Old drums:

Was nice to have a good meal.

One of the guys who was staying there flies an ultralight all around Hwange National Park to try to catch poachers. There was a recent episode in Hwange where some poachers poisoned some of the big watering holes with cyanide and that took out 1,000 or so elephants. They just went around and hacked off the tusks and left the bodies to rot. Glad to meet guys like him down here. Just another person in Africa trying to help. We were running into people like this everywhere and it was good to hear their stories

I decided to do an interview of Leo at dinner to see how he was feeling about the trip so far. NOT FEELING THE LOVE LEO!!! I also think I might be off on the days during the interview. Or I was subtracting the days in Eureka campground... or I'm just an idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9nj9RTzPes

After dinner Leo and I thought it would be a good idea to jump in the pool to relax and cool off. Not going to have many opps to swim in a pool on this trip.

Let's just say this.... It was a tad chilly....

Shockingly chilly...

But they did have some really high pressure showers that got really hot so that was the end to our night. Warmed up and in bed by 9:30 knowing we had a big day coming up tomorrow

Oh... Did get another nice sunset. That is one thing about Africa. Every night the sunset is beautiful which is always a good close to any day.

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 12:07 PM
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #128
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wake up the next morning and off we go with the goal of making it to our next destination before nightfall.

First part of the day was a bit of pavement that took us through Bulawayo and we stopped for some good lunch there. Found a nice restaurant with a pretty garden.

Good food on the menu.

Some local wildlife

Had a nursery if you wanted plants for home:

Got back on the road and as usual we met some fun/interesting people at the gas stations in Zimbabwe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVna3UK7AiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3qahTghr4

And then we had round #2 of our police encounters happen. We were just cruising along and we were probably going 90kph in a 60 kph zone and we got busted. Had to go through the usual song and dance and then we were off.

Here was a short video I got of one of the police guys. The other 2 didn't want to be on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw5Gq3rXQbA

Got cruising for awhile and then I noticed that the tank had a bit of a right lean on it and after some inspection we found that the cross bar support beam for the Sahara tank had snapped. We found a little auto shop that had some rebar and we just cut a section of that off and jammed it into the 2 broken hollow support beams and shebam we're good to go:

After that we were flying along and we came around another bend in a school zone and BAM! More cops!!! And this time they have a radar gun with a videocamera on it so there is no way you're getting out of this one.

So we go through the song and dance again and these cops seem to have a sense of humor. After some jawing back and forth I decide to see if I can push the limits.

I turn to the cops and ask them what is the fastest they have ever recorded someone coming through here. They talk to each other and say 157 kph in a 60 kph zone.

So I decide to ask them if they would let me come back by on the bike as fast as I possibly could and I asked if they would record the speed on the radar gun. I told them I wanted to see if I could beat the 157 kph record.

They looked at me like I was a complete idiot and then they talked for a bit and then they nodded their heads.

So at this point I turn to them and specifically say "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GIVE ME ANOTHER TICKET FOR THIS RIGHT?" and they say no.

Then I ask the same question again and they say no.

So then I ask them "ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE ME TO JAIL IF I DO THIS?" and they laugh and say no.

So I whip the KTM950SE around and head back a mile or so down the road. Whip it back around and off I went.

I'll tell you what..... That 950SE has some serious pull!

100 kph...150 kph...175 kph... 200 kph... and at this point I fly by the cops and I'm entering a left hand sweeping turn and the rear wheel is starting to lose traction so I had to back off. Crazy part is the 950 was still pulling...

Came back to the cops and they were laughing and having a good time and I think the speedo read 200 kph. Fun times! These cops were so cool that they told us that there was another speed trap about 25 km's down the road so be careful and off we went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keAXmtjv-CM

So at this point I'm getting a little tired of the cops so I decide to video my speedometer so I can argue with the cops if they pull us over again at the next speed trap. Tell them that I was going the speed limit and I had it on video if they wanted to ticket me again.

So low and behold we get to the next speed trap and they pull us over and say we are speeding. Keep in mind we knew this trap was coming and we were going the speed limit the entire time coming up to it so we didn't have to deal with this anymore.

So I know the rules of never arguing with a cop because they are not going to change their mind but that knowledge went out the door because now I was pissed and it was just extortion. Had this shakedown happen a 100 times in mexico so I don't know why this time I went off but I did.

I was pretty much yelling at them that they were full of it and that I had my speed recorded on my go pro just in case they tried to do exactly this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrbGh9uNr28

We told them that the cops at the previous speed trap told us that they were here so we intentionally didn't go over the speed limit so we wouldn't get another ticket.

Well that was a bad move. They asked who got the ticket and we said Leo. Well unfortunately Leo was the lead bike when we came up to this speed trap so they were accusing him of speeding and that would make it his 2nd ticket in one day which meant, according to Zimbabwe "Law" he had to go to jail and stand in front of the judge.

But this was a Sat or Sun (can't remember which) and the judge wouldn't be back until Monday so Leo would have to sit in jail all weekend until the judge could see him.

So they make us sit by this tree and they walk away to go talk about what they are going to do with us.

As were sitting there I see a book lying next to the tree that says "Zimbabwe official traffic laws guidebook" and I pick it up and start thumbing through the speeding section. Low and behold I find a section saying if you are only going 5-10 kph over the speed limit then its a warning or a small fine of $5 USD (They were trying to charge us $40 on top of having to go in front of the judge). I also could find nothing about 2 infractions meaning jail time and having to go in front of the judge.

So my dumb ass decided to bring this up to the cops which basically was calling them out for being liars and that they were trying to extort us.

Bad idea.....

The look on one of the policemans faces went sour immediately and he snatched the book out of my hands and told me it was for official use only and to go sit down. I started to argue but then I "FINALLY" realized that what I was doing was not helping Leos potential jail situation and I went back and sat down.

After a long drawn out wait they finally did what all 3rd world cops do and they pulled us aside and said that we can sit in jail until Monday or handle things here. blah blah blah we figure out a certain amount of money and GTFO of dodge.

My opinion of Zimbabwe police is right about equal with mexican police about now. Well except for the ones who let me do the radar fun but we still paid the ticket

Anyhoo...

Rolled on from there and got onto dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere Zimbabwe for 100's and 100's of miles. Fast and fun that took us through some small villages and a lot of open country. We finally got caught in a little rain and got to test out the new rain gear on the jackets. Mine has the pull over the head hoodie which keeps rain from going down your neck.

Leo suiting up for the rain:

We passed some trippy cemeteries that were out in the middle of BFE but yet they were still taken care of.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMY4UzHcWYU

Had a nice rainbow at one point:

Typical view out in the bush in Zimbabwe. Lost of high savannah grass:

Stopped to get a pic of the bike and the sotrms chasing us as I waited for Leo in the video below:

Leo cruising on some easy back country roads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZhacd3am4

Have to jam so will continue later..

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-10-2014 at 02:40 PM
Old 08-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #129
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

WTH??? Is everyone else not seeing the pics now? I checked my photobucket acct and it's fine. But yet I can't see any of the pics?

An yone else having problems with photobucket? Came to do more updates and everything is wiped out. No point doing this if it's all going to get scrubbed...

Old 08-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #130
mennleo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
AHHHH Zambia!!

mennleo screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 12:27 AM
mennleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #131
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Darn you Photobucket for ruining my fun!

Luckily we have been getting a lot of fun waves here in SoCal in the mean time to keep me occupied. Hurricane Marie has been dropping 10-12+ foot bombs in Orange County the last 2 days with some 14+ clean up sets.

Dawn patrolled salt creek on the 27th and I got some long rides that were pretty fun. Took the Go Pro out since it was going to be over 10 foot. Have a bunch of vids like this but this one was the longest ride of the day but not the biggest. This was probably like a 8-10 foot wave. I caught a couple of the big sets but they didn't line up as much as the 10 foot sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VRWPKyRoVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennleo View Post
thats the same problem i had. with the free photo bucket you only get so many MB of download per month. that means the more people that look at and the more pics you have the quiker you use it up. dumb!! it will reset next month.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #132
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like the pics are finally back up...

So now were crusing along in the middle of nowhere Zimbabwe and the rain starts coming down. Never was anything hard but a constant light drizzle that went all night.

We thought we knew where we were going but it turns out we got a little lost even with 2 GPS units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFR59z2Kx4

We finally got off the dirt and found a paved road and we had to piggy back off a semi for 3-4 hours to get to a place to stay for the night. I didn't want to pass the semi because in the dark you can't see all animals and people walking about. Was slow travel but at least we were safer this way.

We finally get to a place to stay near our destination and we snag a room in these tiny little hut houses that were cool except that they only had 1 bed. So Leo and I got to share a bed for the night and that was a hoot.

Leo snores.... a lot....

So we did the typical "you stay on top of this sheet and I'll stay under that sheet and we'll build a blanket wall in between eachother so there wasn't any "casual" contact. Lets just say I didn't want Leo rolling over for snuggles in the middle of the night thinking I was Menda

Got a good nights rest and popped up the next morning ready for some fun!

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 11:40 AM
Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #133
SurfnnRide OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I land in Perth Nov 22nd 2014 for a 6 month tour of Aus in a campervan. Surfing, diving and just basically meeting and partying with as many cool/fun people as we can find.

Wish I could be on a bike for this trip but I'm bringing the mrs.

Unless you want to lend me a bike for a day and you could show me some of the good riding trails around perth

But on another note... I've been scouring gumtree.com for used campervans that have been converted with a grill, sink etc... If you know of any other websites to use or any locals who have a nice/reliable 4x4 rig let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koos View Post
Great report...

SurfnnRide screwed with this post 09-09-2014 at 01:59 PM
Old 09-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #134
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Come on!!! Finish this damn ride report before you head to Australia!!! It's been great so far!!!
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #135
mennleo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I think it was actually 2 twin beds but we had to keep them together because there was only one net!

but on the way.....

mennleo screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 12:47 AM
mennleo is offline   Reply With Quote