ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Caliente Nevada Ride. 10-18-14 to 10-25-14

I will be camping and riding out of Kershaw Ryan State Park in Caliente Nevada mid October. The park is small and quiet, and has showers . Perfect for tent campers like me.
The area has perfect ride weather in October, low to mid 70's daytime and cool nights. I will be doing small bike rides all over the general area, mostly intermediate level trails, roads, washes. I can lead for those interested in that type of riding. The area also has some of the most spectacular big bike riding in the west, for those interested in that google Silver State Trail.

The campground is about 3 miles out of Caliente Nevada. Caliente has nice clean motels, restaurants, etc. for folks that don't dig camping.
I recommend the Shady Motel. The owners name is Nolan , super cool dude.
I have talked to the local firewood guy in Caliente and he can deliver any amount of firewood requested to the campground at a very reasonable price.

For most all of you that have never experienced this area google Caliente, Panaca, Pioche, Delamar, and Alamo Nevada. Once you experience the beauty of rural Nevada you will return again and again.

All welcome for part or duration.

Glenn

Mojave Mutt screwed with this post 08-09-2014 at 12:22 PM
Mojave Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
DWK2
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 27
I've four-wheeled through this area for several days, on just about every dirt trail I could find. There is some really nice scenery and old mine sites. If you have not visited this region, you should take Glenn up on his offer.

[I'm in Wellington, NV (about an hour SE of Carson City) and we have a lot of great trails, mines, and ghost towns too.]
DWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
Bike Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWK2 View Post
I've four-wheeled through this area for several days, on just about every dirt trail I could find. There is some really nice scenery and old mine sites. If you have not visited this region, you should take Glenn up on his offer.

[I'm in Wellington, NV (about an hour SE of Carson City) and we have a lot of great trails, mines, and ghost towns too.]
I just rode over 108 to Burchum Road along the ridge and through the valley. I ended up in Wellington. It was a 300mi 640 kinda day
Bike Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
DWK2
Other Bike's A Rokon

Oddometer: 27
Sounds like a cool ride! If you are in Wellington around mealtime, Rosie's offers pretty decent Mexican food. The CG Bar makes fresh pizza Thurs-Sun. The Heyday Inn is more expensive but the food quality is high and servings are jumbo. It's American food with a Basque influence.

We have a lot more dirt trails in this area, if you visit again.

And don't miss Mojave Mutt's Caliente ride if you have the chance!

Dave
DWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Bike Guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWK2 View Post
Sounds like a cool ride! If you are in Wellington around mealtime, Rosie's offers pretty decent Mexican food. The CG Bar makes fresh pizza Thurs-Sun. The Heyday Inn is more expensive but the food quality is high and servings are jumbo. It's American food with a Basque influence.

We have a lot more dirt trails in this area, if you visit again.

And don't miss Mojave Mutt's Caliente ride if you have the chance!

Dave
Thanks for the eat info. I saw the mex place and the bar last time through. Did another ride plan today, same area. And I rode through Caliente mid July. October sounds much better
Bike Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,434
I'll subscribe here...
Glenn, what do you know about the central area, north of Tonopah, HUMBOLT TOIYABE, the three forest areas? AKA Shoshone mountains.

I've been talking about riding that area for a couple of years now. Going to recruit a few dualsport guys to do some exploring. Also have old kings of the west tracks for the area.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
Caliente is a great area and the NV state campground is a real good one. If in range, hit the Pioche area if you like old mining stuff. Wish I could make it. But going to UT at this time. Have fun!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Mojave Mutt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Wink

[QUOTE=browneye;25002733]I'll subscribe here...
Glenn, what do you know about the central area, north of Tonopah, HUMBOLT TOIYABE, the three forest areas? AKA Shoshone mountains.

I've been talking about riding that area for a couple of years now. Going to recruit a few dualsport guys to do some exploring. Also have old kings of the west tracks for the area.

[/QUOTE

Hi Chris,

I rode around that area for four days 5-6 years ago staging out of both Middlegate and Austin. Lots of varied dualsport riding, basin an range country. Beautiful scenery, some single track and mustang trails to add to the fun.

I will stick to Caliente/Pioche this fall since I have to travel in late October then again in November. Could be pretty chilly on the mountain passes in the area you're talking about by late October. Someone else with more experience in that region could be able to clarify weather that time of year.

Next early summer I plan to explore the Schell Creek Range north of Ely and east of Magill Nevada. Should be spectacular.

Put a group together and ride with me out of Caliente in a few weeks! Great riding there!

Glenn
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Man, I need to ride with you guys sometime. Seems like we like the same kind of stuff.

Ely is next on my list for a weeklong riding trip. Probably best in the Fall given the elevations.

I have ridden some in the area you are discussing. From Middlegate on the west over as fas east a Belmont. Some great spots in there. I prefer the eastern part--Smokey Valley, Belmont, Ophir Pass, etc. As they say, it;s all good! Fall is best if doing the passes. But you can slip around the southern part and get from Valley to valley that way. I am headed to Austin next weekend. Haven't spent much time around there, just a little deer hunting.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #10
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,434
Hmmm...Caliente Nevada....put it on google maps and it is 151 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

Would have to be a four-day trip at least. Or ride the big bikes out there....
Okay, it's on the radar.

Oh yeah, I know the passes are too high when you get close to winter. End of October is getting pretty late for Ophir and the like.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,084
Check out the Silver State Trail, 170 Mi loop with no gas.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

For anyone that doesn't know, Jerry (Countdown's) stuff is great! FREE GPS tracks with lots of good info on gas, etc. He has done us all a great service with the work he has done accumulating these tracks and sharing with all.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #13
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Ridng through Nevada Sept 22 to Sept 25

Hi,

this is a very timely subject since a couple of us are riding thru Nevada after doing AZBDR and Grand Canyon North Rim camping off our 990 Adventures.

Will be riding from Pioche/Caliente area towards Reno but plan to hit a lot of backroads and trying to put a route together for big bikes with gear.

The Silver State trail looks interesting and wondered if it is suitable for big bikes.

Wonder if this would be a good possible route:

Caliente - Antelope rd - Black Canyon rd - Comet rd - Stampede gap - Bristol Wells - Bristol Mine - Meloy Rd - Hidden Springs rd - Sidehill pass - Cave Valley rd - Sawmill Canyon - Lund

Might camp at Kershaw Ryan State campground as mentioned

Was trying to weigh this route versus going through Mount Wilson Range area to the North East of Pioche thru Long Canyon (322) - Spring Valley rd (camping) - Camp Valley rd- Buckhorn Ranch rd - Pioneer Pass - Pony Springs (hwy 93) - Sidehill Pass rd over to Cave Valley rd toward Lund as in the first route.

thanks for any info.

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

From what I have ridden on the Silverstate Trail, it would be big bike friendly. I have ridden the sections out of Pioche to the north and on the southern end near Caliente. A route from Pioche south with a sidetrip to Delamar would be cool. Or Caliente south, around to Elgin then Delamar from the south would be good.

I don't have any tips to get you west from there. When you get closer to Tonopah, I like Belmont/Manhattan. With the big bikes you would want to go north in Smokey Valley and hit Kingston and over to Austin. Ophir will not work for you on the big bikes going west. Or go south around to Berlin Icksyasaur. North to Eastgate. West to Middlegate.

I have nothing to recommend going west from Austin or Middlegate to Reno. I guess you could route through Tonopah then west over Montgomery Pass, Benton, up through Aurora, Bodie, hit 395 around Bridgeport. North through Masonic and that area to Sweetwater. Desert Creek (good camping). North to Wellington.

Have fun!
Old 09-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #15
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Nevada Big Bike trip

Hi Reno,

thanks for the info.

I am attaching my proposed route through Nevada west of Lund.
Pieced this together after reading others trip reports.
Trying to stay to some high country as much as possible and be aware of gas needs (just over 200 mile range).
I thought about Ophir pass but after reading others reports it looks too rough for big bikes loaded down with gear unless one has mad riding skills like the Oco Locos.

Thanks again for info - too bad our dates don't line up - would be good to meet like minded individuals out on the trails.

Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote