ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #16
Rockpharmer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I can see my house!
Rockpharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #17
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
What do you know about the routes classified as Legal Trail?

What do you know about roads labeled "Discontinued"? In MA, they are usually open, but the discontinued means they are not fixing them when they wash out etc.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
kbroderick OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What do you know about the routes classified as Legal Trail?
Towns may, at their discretion, adopt ordinances limiting motorized use of legal trails. I was told by a lawyer familiar with such things that if a legal trail is not posted to prohibit motorized use and it has evidence of such use, it would be reasonable to assume that traveling said trail to be legal. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on the subject of legal trails, though, and there are certainly more than a few that go places that may be more legal than reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
What do you know about roads labeled "Discontinued"? In MA, they are usually open, but the discontinued means they are not fixing them when they wash out etc.
They are no longer open to public travel as a matter of law. In some cases, they may still be passable, but there is no legal right to travel them; their presence on the map as "discontinued" implies that a specific legal processes has been undertaken to remove them from public use, so it's highly unlikely that riding them is a good idea (as a general rule; I have successfully done so on a couple of occasions due to navigational errors, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it).
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
Towns may, at their discretion, adopt ordinances limiting motorized use of legal trails. I was told by a lawyer familiar with such things that if a legal trail is not posted to prohibit motorized use and it has evidence of such use, it would be reasonable to assume that traveling said trail to be legal. There seems to be a fair amount of confusion on the subject of legal trails, though, and there are certainly more than a few that go places that may be more legal than reasonable.

They are no longer open to public travel as a matter of law. In some cases, they may still be passable, but there is no legal right to travel them; their presence on the map as "discontinued" implies that a specific legal processes has been undertaken to remove them from public use, so it's highly unlikely that riding them is a good idea (as a general rule; I have successfully done so on a couple of occasions due to navigational errors, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it).
Thanks for clearing that up. I seldom get to VT, but occasionally when I am in No. Berkshire county, I have explored extreme So. VT and found some nice class 4 roads.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote