Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
aliksir OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question Ferry connections N-Europe to Baltics?

Hi travellers of the Old World,

we (2 people) would like to take a ferry from Eastern Germany/Poland to the Baltics (ideally Helsinki/Tallinn but any other suggestion welcome) and return to Germany by bike. What are our options?

I understand that the connection Rostock-Tallinn was closed down in 2013?
It seems that ferries departing from Poland are directed towards Swedish ports only?

We are also wondering about the costs. What is a reasonable price for such a distance pp + vehicle based on your experiences?

Many thanks,
aliksir
aliksir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I only know of Finnlines, who go from Travemunde, Rostock and Gdynia to Helsinki. But contrary to what you seem to think, Helsinki isn't in the Baltics.

Who cares about what a reasonable price is? The prices are listed on their website and if you don't want to pay them, find another destination
GvG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvG View Post
I only know of Finnlines, who go from Travemunde, Rostock and Gdynia to Helsinki. But contrary to what you seem to think, Helsinki isn't in the Baltics.

Who cares about what a reasonable price is? The prices are listed on their website and if you don't want to pay them, find another destination
Yes, Helsinki is in Scandinavia.

According to their website, Finnlines currently operates only a cargo boat between Gdynia and Helsinki, so passengers cannot use it. They do have ferry services from Rostock or Travemunde to Helsinki. I just checked those a while ago, and they should be starting a special offer for motorcyclists just about now... and IIRC, a basic cabin for two + 1 bike was somewhere around 400 euros one-way, no meals included....... but you really need to check that and all the details from them yourself.

Been four years since I΄ve used any of the ferries in Europe, but at least back then it seemed like ferries between Germany & Finland were more expensive than ferries doing similar distances in the Mediterranean, for example. Me & my GF payed about 250 euros for a 23-hour ferry trip from Palermo, Sicily to Genoa, and we had 1 bike, and a cabin for ourselves, on a brand new boat. Considering this, and the fact that it was already 4 years ago, prices tend to go up, I think that 400 euros from Germany to Finland for two people (having their own cabin) + 1 bike should be “in the ballpark”. Finnlines΄ listed prices can easily be 600-700 for the same service, especially during the high season. Also do note, that you can take a deck seat, that΄ll be much cheaper. And I΄ve never checked, if there are services from Germany or Poland to Tallinn, Estonia, for example.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,701
google is your friend
Old 08-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #5
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Yes, Helsinki is in Scandinavia.
It is in the Baltic Region, just not in the Baltics (which refers to the 3 Baltic States).

I'm curious why the OP posted Helsinki/Tallinn as a destination and along what route he wants to return to Germany by bike.
When I was in Finland I met a German couple who did what the OP wants to do: they took the ferry from Travemunde to Helsinki and drove back to Germany, first going up through Finland, to the Northcape and then back through Norway.

People I know that went to Tallinn by ferry all rode back through the Baltic States and Poland.

GvG screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 03:10 AM
Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 AM   #6
aliksir OP
n00b

Thanks for all the replies so far.

@GvG: I am aware of the fact that Helsinki is not one of the Baltic states. However, it’s a port very close to the Baltics and maybe the only option for us to get to Tallinn is via Helsinki (do you know of any other connections?). Reasonable prices pop up when there is some competition. My friend Google has so far only found Finnlines operating in that area. The ticket is too much for our budget. That’s why I am here…

@Pecha72: thanks for sharing your experiences. Ideally we would like to go from Poland (somewhere) to Tallinn and then via the Baltics all the way down to Germany. As I mentioned in the first posting it seems that Rostock-Tallinn is not available anymore (but please do correct me if I am wrong).
Old 08-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
serkanketenci
n00b

Oddometer: 4
You can also consider going through Sweden and taking the boat from Stockholm to Helsinki.

Prices in English websites are relatively higher (don't ask me why), so try google translate with Finnish websites to get a better deal, perhaps it would be same with Swedish too.

There are 2 ferries operating that route, viking lines and silja lines. Same companies also operates Tallinn - Helsinki route.

From Germany, Travemunde-Helsinki seems to be only option with Finnlines and it is really expensive, I agree.

-Serkan
serkanketenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,184
I do believe there are direct connections from places in SE Sweden to Tallinn as well. I don't know if you have to go all the way to Stockholm to catch them.

Typically when I am trying to get down to Europe, I take a ferry to Stockholm and then run straight down to Copenhagen via Helsingborg. The ride takes about 7 hours or so if you don't stop for much. Realistically you could be in N. Germany via Femahrn in a really long day's ride of about 10-12 hours. Depends on your endurance, but when you compare what Finnlines charges to get you from Germany to Helsinki, you'll find you will save a lot of money. Just a thought for you.

A couple of points about the riding part from my experience. This summer on my way back from Italy I did Warsaw-Tallinn in a single 14 hour stretch. It's about 950km as I recall. Via Baltica is generally acceptable condition. However, from the Poland-Lithuania border SW to Warsaw, or W to Gdansk, the roads are pretty rough and tumble. Not much out there either aside from the city of Alexandrow. I would be sure, if I were you, to have your things in order before getting much south of Kaunas in Lithuania. Just a word to the wise. I wasn't aware that corner of Poland was so empty.

BUT...if you are riding a BMW bike, there is a dealer in Alexandrow for your information.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #9
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
I take a ferry to Stockholm and then run straight down to Copenhagen via Helsingborg. The ride takes about 7 hours or so if you don't stop for much. Realistically you could be in N. Germany via Femahrn in a really long day's ride of about 10-12 hours. Depends on your endurance, but when you compare what Finnlines charges to get you from Germany to Helsinki, you'll find you will save a lot of money.
If you pay Finnlines listed prices especially in the high season, yes. Low season, or some special offers, then the direct boat between Germany & Finland may actually get very close to what you pay for a boat to Sweden, fuel for riding through Sweden & Denmark, and boats or bridges to get to mainland Europe from there. And possibly pay to stay somewhere overnight as well. All those do not come cheap either, difference is you pay them with smaller amounts along the way. Plus it is a long and boring ride, especially if you use the main roads in Sweden.

If two people + 1 bike can get on the Finnlines boat in Travemunde for ~ 400 euros, and this includes their own cabin, I΄d most definitely take that, instead of heading towards Sweden, and especially when going home after a long trip in other parts of Europe.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Old 08-21-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

In case you΄ve never been to Sweden or Denmark before, THEN riding through there could of course be nice...
Old 08-21-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
serkanketenci
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I think if it's the way back or the way out, it differs a bit. I also personally would like to take the ferry if I am returning home, after long holiday and long hour rides comparing to if I am just starting; then I would prefer to ride along.

I am leaving tomorrow From Helsinki to Hamburg with Stockholm ferry, that ferry was only 75 euros in Finnish web site (156 in English web site). I decided to take that route and ride through Sweden around 950 kilometers instead of direct to Travemunde and pay 500 euros, still some 100 kilometers to go.

Probably money-wise, it is not that different, didn't really calculate it, I want to cross the Oresund bridge :)

-Serkan
serkanketenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
GvG
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by serkanketenci View Post

I am leaving tomorrow From Helsinki to Hamburg with Stockholm ferry, that ferry was only 75 euros in Finnish web site (156 in English web site).
You mentioning that made me remember the time I turned up at the ticket booth in Turku (in 2002) to ask what the ferry to Stockholm would cost for the next day: €25. When I had looked at it on websites from my couch,prior to departing on my holiday, it was around 10 times that (from Helsinki).
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Sometimes the English language doesn't yield the proper results.
http://www.mare-baltikum-reisen.de/d...www%281%29.pdf
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
aliksir OP
n00b

Hi folks,

it's time to leave. Thanks for all your input, both suggestions and remarks. :)

One option was to ride to Poland, take a ferry to a port in South-Sweden, ride up to sthlm and board a ferry to Tallinn. But then we changed our plans quite a bit. We will leave tomorrow to Rostock, take a ferry to Denmark and go via Copenhagen and the Oresund Bridge (very much looking forward to driving there!) to Malmφ-Karlshamn. The ferry departing from here will bring us to Klaipeda. And then we'll roam around in the Baltic states (no plans yet), coming back on the road via Poland.

Cheers,
aliksir