Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #376
bruceatk
AdvRider2B

Oddometer: 2
I'm obviously a late comer to this thread. A recent posting of this video on the KLR group on Facebook caught my eye. I've read through a bunch of posts, and I believe I see why the sharp left turn and it has really opened my eyes to how quickly things can go wrong.

I've attached a picture with the 5:07 and 5:08 frames side by side. In the 5:07 frame the bike is heading right and riding directly toward the angled edge that I have circled. Shortly after the 5:08 frame the front tire is going to start turning to the left and act likes it is sliding along the angled edge. The handlebars turn to the left and the bike leans to the left like the front end is starting to wash out. The front end catches and the bike starts to move to the left, but then it acts like the rear tire follows along the path or towards the right instead of following the bike, causing the bike to veer even sharper left. Doing all this under power with the clutch out means there is very little chance to recover once the bike has settled into it's new direction.

Looking at picture in the OP's post 196, it looks like it is just the initial square edged corner in combination with the sloping of the rock surface towards the right edge of the path that caused the slippage as the bike moved back left. The bottom line is we are all always a little closer to the edge then we care to realize and this video so clearly shows that.
Attached Images

bruceatk screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 08:19 PM
bruceatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #377
bruceatk
AdvRider2B

Oddometer: 2
If I rotate the image so that he hills in the background are more level it's easier to see why the bike would want to slide to the right (turn to the left).
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #378
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,514
I was thinking maybe the OP was dehydrated. It seems like he was going slow enough to stop as the bike turned to the left. I know I am totally Monday morning quaterbacking and video isn't being there. It just seems like something one would do when he is tired and half out of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #379
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
I pulled right out in front of an suv this evening in a parking lot, after a 200 mile ride. Driver honked and missed me, through no fault of my own.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #380
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I like funny face plants....this isn't funny. I've learned that often rocks either move or at least surprise you once you decide to navigate over them. I really try to stay on the dirt itself, much more predictable. But man.....this could have happened to anyone. Scary
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #381
TitanKing
TitanRider

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for sharing this incredible story Joe. Really respect your durability, I for one would not want to pick a fight with you.

I try to learn something from every face plant I read or watch. The one fact I learned here is, shit happens, this is a dangerous full contact sport which we enjoy just like a base jumper enjoys jumping off cliffs.

I also gained huge respect for the DR650, until this thread I was no big fan of it. Can you please tell me what the fault in the end was for the 30mph stuttering. How is the bike doing and what was at fault in the end? Sorry if this was answered already, I read through the whole thread.
TitanKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #382
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Just found this today....unbeknownst to me 'till now. Sorry to hear of such a bad fall.

I'll just toss out my two cents here...most people just ignore anything I say so feel free to do the same.

I spent 3 years riding observed trials with ATA. I learned more about bike handling, picking a line, and tackling tough terrain than ANY other riding I've done in my forty-plus year riding career, mostly dirt. I always suggest to people that the best rider training they'll get is on a trials bike. Once mastered, or even competent, the skills can be moved on along to any kind of bike, big or small. The experience trains your eye instantly find the best line, and you always know where your tires are going to go. Plus the events are fun, the riders are really cool, friendly, and helpful - much more so that you find elsewhere.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #383
oceanluvr30
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Your trails looks like a highway compared to this...

Your video was really sobering and brought home the message on how fast shit happens. And then i was on the MOTO GUZZI forum and some one had posted the below video......makes your trail look like a two lane road compared to this....I would not even walk this one

http://wimp.com/scarytrail

oceanluvr30 screwed with this post 10-08-2014 at 08:13 PM
oceanluvr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #384
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Nope ... nope ... nope ...

Quote:
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #385
Noctis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Might just be me, but riding that close(spitting distance) to the edge of a cliff is a thrill I can live without.
Noctis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #386
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Just found this today....unbeknownst to me 'till now. Sorry to hear of such a bad fall.

I'll just toss out my two cents here...most people just ignore anything I say so feel free to do the same.

I spent 3 years riding observed trials with ATA. I learned more about bike handling, picking a line, and tackling tough terrain than ANY other riding I've done in my forty-plus year riding career, mostly dirt. I always suggest to people that the best rider training they'll get is on a trials bike. Once mastered, or even competent, the skills can be moved on along to any kind of bike, big or small. The experience trains your eye instantly find the best line, and you always know where your tires are going to go. Plus the events are fun, the riders are really cool, friendly, and helpful - much more so that you find elsewhere.

I only have a few hours of trials experience but it has done wonders for my riding skills. I called it motorcycle physics. You are right everyone ignores the advice.

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #387
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
Might just be me, but riding that close(spitting distance) to the edge of a cliff is a thrill I can live without.
Are you sure?

This is the reward:

Quote:
Old 10-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #388
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #389
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
That looks doable on an R1200GS.

Not a place I would EVER ride. EVER.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #390
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
DR 650s Do Not Fly Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BOOx...ature=youtu.be

Go to the 5 minute mark for the good stuff.

Amazing how an easy pace on a challenging but not over the top difficult trail can go horribly wrong in a big hurry
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote