User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
bruceatk
AdvRider2B

Oddometer: 2
I'm obviously a late comer to this thread. A recent posting of this video on the KLR group on Facebook caught my eye. I've read through a bunch of posts, and I believe I see why the sharp left turn and it has really opened my eyes to how quickly things can go wrong.

I've attached a picture with the 5:07 and 5:08 frames side by side. In the 5:07 frame the bike is heading right and riding directly toward the angled edge that I have circled. Shortly after the 5:08 frame the front tire is going to start turning to the left and act likes it is sliding along the angled edge. The handlebars turn to the left and the bike leans to the left like the front end is starting to wash out. The front end catches and the bike starts to move to the left, but then it acts like the rear tire follows along the path or towards the right instead of following the bike, causing the bike to veer even sharper left. Doing all this under power with the clutch out means there is very little chance to recover once the bike has settled into it's new direction.

Looking at picture in the OP's post 196, it looks like it is just the initial square edged corner in combination with the sloping of the rock surface towards the right edge of the path that caused the slippage as the bike moved back left. The bottom line is we are all always a little closer to the edge then we care to realize and this video so clearly shows that.
Attached Images

bruceatk screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 08:19 PM
bruceatk is offline   Reply With Quote