Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
hockabigloogy OP
Got Buddah?

Oddometer: 87
What is the best DualSport to own as a Mexican?

OK, I'm old, and broke but when i sell off all the crap I have here in the states, I'm moving to Mexico, and I'm not talking a gated community full of gringoes viejos with poop in their shorts. If all goes well, I'll have my permanente in about six or seven months.

I've owned KLR 650s and I had a BMW funduro. But to the average Mexican its 125ccVille.
Thats what's available. I want to blend in, find parts, buy used, once i get there.
Those Italia bikes sure look stupid. I bet they are crappy. I'll bet it is a hona that will rule.

What say you, muchachoes del camino?

I'd like to import a KLR250 but I hear it will be hell to do so.
hockabigloogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
http://www.anumex.com/anuncios/motos...as-usadas/0-50

This may give you some ideas.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
hockabigloogy OP
Got Buddah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
WOW. prices worse than i thought. Any easier to import a scooter than a car??? Or, fuggetabout it and just buy one?
Old 08-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
Import 150cc or smaller and save on import taxes.

Kiko screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 08:17 AM
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,428
Honda tornado or a CRF230. Not gonna be cheap though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 08:19 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
pax maac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Importing's not a big deal. I've done a car and a bike, and am planning to do another bike soon. It's not hell at all.

Italika, Vento, all those Chinese bikes are crap. I wouldn't waste your time or money on them.

I have experience with mostly BMW and Yamaha down here, and any time I need a BMW part I check with Beemerboneyard and my local dealer here and it's been 50/50 sometimes the part is cheaper here, sometimes it's cheaper to order it from the US.
pax maac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Once you get settled in México, you can join these guys for riding, they are low cc bikers (110cc, 125cc, 250cc) doing off road and they have a lot of fun..

http://motorutamexico.com/

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockabigloogy View Post

What is the best DualSport to own as a Mexican?

OK, I'm old, and broke but when i sell off all the crap I have here in the states, I'm moving to Mexico, and I'm not talking a gated community full of gringoes viejos with poop in their shorts. If all goes well, I'll have my permanente in about six or seven months..
What part of simply moving to Mexico will make you "a Mexican"? I'm taking it as you wish to know what the locals ride. I could be wrong.

And be careful with enjoying the huevos rancheros down there. Miscalculating the gas you'll feel tempted to 'valve off' later is often the cause of "gringoes viejos with poop in their shorts." You've been warned
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
I would take a look at the Bajaj line, but they are not dual sport style. Used all over Latin America, and the people who have them seem happy with them. Made in India, the 200 is EFI, and shares some basic architecture with the KTM 200 Duke. Bajaj owns at least a portion of KTM, but I don't hold that against them.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

And be careful with enjoying the huevos rancheros down there. Miscalculating the gas you'll feel tempted to 'valve off' later is often the cause of "gringoes viejos with poop in their shorts." You've been warned
You know something's wrong when your buddy stops in front of you, turns around and says, "Hey, does gas have lumps?"

My preference would probably be a Tornado 250, but they are not cheap either. Like the previous post mentioned, maybe take a look at the Pulsars (Bajaj). I think they are around $2000 USD less than the Tornado IIRC. Most folks I talked to as well seem pretty happy with them, and although not a true DS, folks ride those bike everywhere.

Here are some thoughts from forums that might be helpful: http://moteroscolombia.com/foro/44-c...ulsar-200.html

http://www.club-bajaj.com/t2113p10-g...xr-250-tornado

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-21-2014 at 12:37 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
cheap? expensive? that is not at all a universal thing.

If you buy new then you will pay as much as in the usa, an example, a 250 yamaha wr250r you will pay $6690 plus fees, and tax so maybe $8,000. That bike is not available in Mexico, instead you can find a Tenere 250 that is more touring oriented at $75K pesos or at today's exchange rate of $12.8 = $5,851 and this is OTD prices. This is the most expensive 250 available in Mexico.

A Lander from Yamaha is almost not available, it has been replace by the Tenere and it costed about the same. Now a Tornado from HOnda will be cheaper, $4,921 or so. Remember that in the USA the Honda cr250L sells for more and the KLX250 also (please include the stealer fees and such).

If you still want new but want to pay less, I would go and but an XTZ125 from yamaha, or the NRX150 from HOnda (FI). The yamaha is less than $2.5K USD and the honda around $3,700 (because of the bigger engine and FI). And last the XR125L Honda is the same price (almost) as the Yamaha 125, all 3 bikes are great and I would buy one and go around all over Mexico with them, I would prefer the yamaha 125 simple because it has a 21 front and better tire options (dirt oriented).

IF you want to pay less then go used and you will find a lot, depending on where in Mexico you are going... About Italikas, some of my friends have then, and they all say they are worth every penny, they need attention, and a constant inspection of everything, much like the hondas and other Japaneses bikes.

get you FM in place and get a licencies so you do not waste your money importing a bike. I have imported 2 of my 5 bikes and for my klr paid $1400+ and for my TW paid $800+ so it is not cheap.. think of all the farkless you can buy with $2,200!!!

Cheers man
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
hockabigloogy OP
Got Buddah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
What part of simply moving to Mexico will make you "a Mexican"? I'm taking it as you wish to know what the locals ride. I could be wrong.

Hopefully shacking up wif a Mexican cutie, drinking the water (and Kool Aide), Micheladas, and Caña, not paying mordidas by becoming Napolean Dynomite, and riding with locals will help make me mo Mexican.
if it doesnt maybe some kind Mexican family will adopt me!

Thanks to all for lots of ideas...

hockabigloogy screwed with this post 08-31-2014 at 01:48 PM
Old 08-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #13
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Tens of thousands of Mexicans ride 125cc class bikes and nearly every one of them would ride a bigger bike if they could afford it. 125cc beats taking the bus to work, but IMO is too slow and dangerous for traveling on the open Mexican highway. Depends on if you want to use the bike to putt around town or go out and travel.

In my experience, just the state of Texas alone has a better selection of used motorcycles than all of Mexico, and around 20% lower prices even after paying 20-37% import taxes. You do have to consider the cost and PITA of the logistics of importing, but if you are going back and forth anyway it's worth it. Used bikes from the US are generally much more well maintained than Mexican bikes.

In central and southern Mexico a 250cc class DS bike would work, but northern Mexico is big with big open roads and I'd go with a 650 class bike if you plan to settle in northern Mexico.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #14
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
In my experience, just the state of Texas alone has a better selection of used motorcycles than all of Mexico, and around 20% lower prices even after paying 20-37% import taxes. You do have to consider the cost and PITA of the logistics of importing, but if you are going back and forth anyway it's worth it. Used bikes from the US are generally much more well maintained than Mexican bikes.

In central and southern Mexico a 250cc class DS bike would work, but northern Mexico is big with big open roads and I'd go with a 650 class bike if you plan to settle in northern Mexico.
A small issue for which I would be happy to assist

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Thanks Man!

It's important to consider that the logistics of buying a used bike in Mexico can also be a PITA too. With the limited market you may have to travel halfway across the country to look at a single bike on Mercadolibre. In northern Mexico we are a lot closer to the US MC market than the motorcycles in the population centers of Central Mexico.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote