Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > New Zealand
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 02:00 AM   #31
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
I kinda have a love hate thing going on with the DR. Built like a Massey Ferguson. Could use more power. Could use better brakes. Some more suspension would be nice. Comfort is OK, but my arse is naturaly padded, and who sits down anyway.

It just seems to work.

Who am I kidding...buy another 690.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:10 AM   #32
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Just thought I'd throw this in the mix ... http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-768918652.htm

Seems a bit spendy though, IMHO

Now theres a smart man ...
Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 AM   #33
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Now if I could be assured the oomph issue could be addressed the same way.. I might have been a serius starter on a KLR. (I can't believe i'm saying this..)
Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #34
Kempy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
WR250R I rekon after having two road reg WR250Fs the Rs looks like everything the WRF needed - pricey but a few new or newish getting cheaper as they are over priced in NZ IMHO big tank better seat. Only a 250 but a sweet motor so maybe not enough power Marty but a 450 version would sell sell sell buts lets not get into that discussion.

DR is a great all rounder but ummm do you buy a bike you have already owned unless it's outstanding ?
Kempy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 AM   #35
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
MarkS should also have said that was with the 685 kit, rekluse clutch, obnoxious exhaust etc etc. He sold the KLR because it felf anemic (boring I think his words were) without all of those bits

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #36
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
MarkS should also have said that was with the 685 kit, rekluse clutch, obnoxious exhaust etc etc. He sold the KLR because it felf anemic (boring I think his words were) without all of those bits
A 685 kit and uncorking is probably a $600-$700nz cost (if you do engine work yourself) and transforms the bike even with a stock muffler. A 719 kit would be fun to try but prolly cost another $400 or so

Marty should probably take Wade's 685 for a ride

But I can't really see someone who has had a 690 being happy with a klr.

It'd be like selling a 1200gs to buy an airhead - you'd have to be prepared to dance to a totally different beat if you know what I mean (not that that is a bad thing - just a different mindset that the average insecure ktm owner would struggle to grasp).
Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #37
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
It'd be like selling a 1200gs to buy an airhead - you'd have to be prepared to dance to a totally different beat if you know what I mean (not that that is a bad thing - just a different mindset that the average insecure ktm owner would struggle to grasp).
I may fit this description but it was a 640 Adv to buy an airhead. However, although there are times I miss the 640, overall I am enjoying the lumbering hulk style of riding, I have the 450 if I want to do anything technical and can cope with the fat pig as a general purpose adventure(ish) bike.

To get to what I was trying to talk about, I rode a KLR when I still had the 640 and thought it was a hoot, it slides readily and was no different to a DR in power but with a more comfortable riding position, it's certainly a good, general purpose bike. Given that the perfect NZ adventure bike has to be a 600ish cc trail style bike if you want it to be capable of the range of terrain we have available then it is worth considering.

As with most of these choices they are more about our ego and self image than what's actually the best tool for the job and we all struggle to make a decision we are satisfied with. I still want a 690R, a 350 freeride, a Triumph 675 and a Tiger 800 as a perfect stable but unless we win Lotto I'm well and truly never going to see that!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #38
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,004
Quote:
LOL!!!

Shit... 2 weeks ago I was told there was an Airhead in my future. Now it looks like there might be a KLR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
...overall I am enjoying the lumbering hulk style of riding,
...can cope with the fat pig as a general purpose adventure(ish) bike.
Yep I was thinking there can't be many places you couldn't get on Steve or Iians PD's, but you might just have to do it it a bit slower in the ugly stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
As with most of these choices they are more about our ego and self image than what's actually the best tool for the job and we all struggle to make a decision we are satisfied with.
Yep. Agree 100% .

Quote:
But I can't really see someone who has had a 690 being happy with a klr.
Yeah I'm struggling with that. Or a DR... Or even a 640...

Anybody else get the feeling Marty is taking the piss and has dragged us all unwittingly into the classic whats the best bike debate? Holden/Ford? McD's vs BK? Dominos vs Pizza Hut?...

kiwipeet screwed with this post 08-27-2014 at 09:47 PM
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #39
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

So Marty.

Does it have to be new?

What about Old School / Revival?

XR600 with a big tank.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #40
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:

Yep I was thinking there can't be many places you couldn't get on Steve or Iians PD's, but you might just have to do it it a bit slower in the ugly stuff.
Nup. There's lots of places. More than once I've seen someone on a big adv bike turn back while those of us on single cyl machines carry on. Some of those guys were better riders than me too. The dry clutch on the RxxxGS bikes can be a bit of a showstopper when things get ugly.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #41
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
So Marty.

Does it have to be new?

What about Old School / Revival?

XR600 with a big tank.
Its the dual sport curse. My biggest problem isn't that there aren't any dual sport bikes to choose from, its that my last bike ticked every box for me so well (well almost). I'm ruined for anything else.

The TR650 seems like a good compromise, compromise bike but has its faults from what I can tell. I'd buy an EXC before an XR, and don't really want another DR....but a lot depends on whats around at the appropriate time. But I cant ride just yet so that's the main reason for asking about the TR650 - what guys think of them to rule it in or out,

Night Falcon screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 12:39 AM
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #42
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

So... In a nutshell. You had a 690. It did everything you wanted. It had the grunt, handling weight you wanted.

You could trail ride it and travel on it.

You want all that again. Just the same, except:
1 cheaper.
2 not a 690.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #43
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
Nup. There's lots of places. More than once I've seen someone on a big adv bike turn back while those of us on single cyl machines carry on. Some of those guys were better riders than me too. The dry clutch on the RxxxGS bikes can be a bit of a showstopper when things get ugly.

Cheers
Clint
If you can get traction, generally you can get there. Uphill is best.

The two major obstacles are ground clearance (hard to have fun bellied out, resting on the cylinders in a rut - like I did in Makairo) & clay. That said, I'd like to try Gus one day with actual knobbie shoes on.

He's a beast in slow running. Heavy...And Clint's right. If you have to slip the clutch, because you can't keep up enough momentum, eventually the (dry) clutch will toast itself. I'd like a lower final drive & 1st gear...

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 02:23 AM
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #44
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Horrendous Generalizations Follow

It seems to me that we generally tend to buy 600-700 singles (my previous 4 adv bikes all were) so we can do tracks like the 42nd or the Porika etc. Yet the time we spend actually riding the knarly tracks is minuscule compared to the time we spend on the seal or on gravel.

A roady 750-1000 multi cyl adv bike will do seal and most open gravel better than any 600ish single can and yet can still do the milder stuff like Big River and the Rainbow etc.

I am really surprised at how stable my sv is on smooth gravel - somewhere like Turakina Valley is so much fun on it. Put someone confident like Bart on it and no one would see which way it went. Unfortunately (and not surprisingly) the sv isn't quite there when it comes to the cool stuff like Clints mmmm forestry section or Takapari rd etc.

I am really starting to understand the appeal of airheads

Seems to me that if you are prepared to sacrifice the knarliest 5% of adv rides then the other 95% become much more fun.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:13 AM   #45
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
So... In a nutshell. You had a 690. It did everything you wanted. It had the grunt, handling weight you wanted.

You could trail ride it and travel on it.

You want all that again. Just the same, except:
1 cheaper.
2 not a 690.
I'm a wreck Pete...I would have another 690 in a flash if it met point No1. Don't mind spending the time and money adventurising one again but that cost and the bike cost at present equal point No2 unfortunately.

Realistically, another bike is not going to offer the same as the 690 and I'm cool with that - my hope is to find/build something that's not too far away from it if that's possible. The TR, although heavier, does come with 58hp, 10K service intervals, and is pretty well set up from stock, so is worth a look. Maybe possible to shed some weight from it; 2 into 1 exhaust for starters.

There was a 2013 EXC500 6days for sale on TM 6months ago which I'm kicking myself for not buying. The price left room for adventure surgery and would have been a cool bike despite probably being not that comfy for the road, but off road.....

I don't have a lot to fill my days in yet and I'm forbidden from getting stressed out, but I'll take searching for my next bike as a job while I have the opportunity....every cloud has a silver lining.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote