Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #121
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
Please explain?

I haven't has any issues with the bmw. Yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I think he meant the toom.....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #122
Trialsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
This is an issue that is a personal preference and will never get "resolved". When I retired, I tested the Tiger, F800, and the 950 on the same course hitting the same lines - all within a 45min. period for a back to back. The Tiger was OK but the BMW was smoother on road sections. I thought I had made up my mind then I rode the 950 and it felt right to me - like a great big dirt bike. I ended up buying the KTM 990. I have since added a 1200GS to the stable and this January I bought a new F800GSA for an upcoming trip out west.

I am not in the first camp of a rider who has stock bikes. I modify my bikes greatly to suit the characteristics I feel most valuable to me. Performance, comfort, and maintenance issues have all be addressed. Having all three of these bikes, set up for me, and addressing as many issues as I have, I could take anyone on any given day. My "go to" bike is the KTM.

I just got back from an 80% off road trip in Colorado and Utah and now have a little over 3k on the F800 GSA. It is a very smooth bike that does what it supposed to without drama. I had NO issues with it but neither did my buddy on his 950 KTM. I have decided to keep the 990 and am selling the GSA. The reason......the KTM just suits my riding style and I get more smiles per mile. I love the capacity and economy of the GSA, but the performance is a little lack luster. Everyone is different so I recommend riding BOTH bikes as much as possible before the decision is made. Make the decision to buy based on what you want to do and not all the other information that swirls about. Both bikes are very good and which one you pick is based on your individual needs.
Trialsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #123
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
I just did 4800 trouble free miles from Seattle out to Montana down the continental divide to Albuquerque and back up on my 990. Lots of off road. So sad they aren't making them anymore!

Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #124
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Ive got my F800gs for several years now. Got new suspension and rode a lot offroad with this bike. When I was in Morocco this year, a friend offered me to ride his 990 adv r. Then I realised the F800gs is an onroad bike with offroad capabilities and the 990 is an offroad bike with road capabilities.
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #125
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohere View Post
Ive got my F800gs for several years now. Got new suspension and rode a lot offroad with this bike. When I was in Morocco this year, a friend offered me to ride his 990 adv r. Then I realised the F800gs is an onroad bike with offroad capabilities and the 990 is an offroad bike with road capabilities.
So, what are you riding now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #126
Sohere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I've recently bought his 990. I'll keep the F800gs mostly for travelling and for the road. The 990 I'll keep for Morocco and the more serious offroad stuff.
Sohere is offline   Reply With Quote