Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #16
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Scuby, you only break yourself and I can't help you there.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #17
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
I just replaced the while plastic reflector in my Kombi, and Reaver's posts above are invaluable. Compare my broken reflector with the intact reflector in Reaver's photo, above. A few additional points:

- The three screws holding the white plastic reflector assembly in place are T-7.
- Do not touch the flat black surface of the two gauge faces. The oil from your fingers will leave shiny spots (though I couldn't distinguish them once reassembly was complete).
- To remove the tach face, you must pop out the clear plastic light conduit (lower right in photo). I tried to squeeze the two lugs to push it out, but I finally placed a screwdriver between the pair of clear lugs below and applied pressure until it popped out. I did not care about my broken white plastic reflector, though.
- Note that the white plastic reflector has two tiny lugs that fit into the circuit board, one at the top and one at the bottom. If you have trouble with installing a replacement reflector, check to see if the lugs were broken off the old reflector and still in the circuit board.

I was lucky that I had to go no further in disassembly for my repair.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #18
Roy Barnes
Riding for the SON

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
So I was rudely awakened by the Mail Dude this morning. 20 minutes later I had the box finally open. Shipping tape must be cheap in China.

It appears to be good quality but doesn't have any manufacturer marks on it. I thought it would be like the turn signals - same MFR and marks but without the BMW mark up. Possible reverse engineered then?

First step was to remove the rubber gasket from the old one since you don't get a new one. It just pulled out and gets placed in the channel friction fit. The circuit board now snaps in place. Sort of. It wasn't seating properly so on close examination I found some excess plastic that needed trimming.

After trimming, the expensive bits snapped in place. I then noticed the white pegs for the trip odometer and stopwatch buttons needed transferring. That was beyond reasonable effort to remove so I swapped the whole rubber gasket and peg over.

From there, install the 3 screws behind the faces then front can go on, or so I thought.

Looks like new!

OK, back up in the disassembly stage I mentioned to note where the needle points before removing it. Well, before you install the front cover, plug the gauges in and after the self test, the needles should both be a "0". My tach needle was low.

So I had to disassemble it and with the key off, tweaked the needle and rechecked it.

All in all, it's a great way to repair your gauges. Considering the Dealer wants $240 for just a new cover and no way to repair your broken mounting pegs without buying a new set, it's fantastic.

Now if only I could get a Dealer to reprogram it for me.
I have a 09 F650gs and when I turn the key on and the gauges does it sweep the speed indicator sticks at about 40 mph and returns to about minis 5 mph and will not go above about 55 mph even when going over 70 mph. Is there a way to lube the needle shaft?
Roy Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #19
FredRydr

Mine starts and stops below zero as well. When I reassembled it, I kept the same start position. That may explain the 10% error we see on BMWs.

The needle shaft is extremely friction-free, and I suspect lube is inappropriate for such a delicate device. If you choose to disassemble, check to see if the shaft or the underside of the needle is rubbing or hanging up against something, such as the reflector or the gauge face.

Fred
Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #20
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Barnes View Post
I have a 09 F650gs and when I turn the key on and the gauges does it sweep the speed indicator sticks at about 40 mph and returns to about minis 5 mph and will not go above about 55 mph even when going over 70 mph. Is there a way to lube the needle shaft?

What Fred said. I think lube would make it worse. Everything is nylon and plastic with a loose fit. Let me take some pics.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #21
Reaver OP
Outta Here

OK Roy.

Here's the inside of your speedo driver. The little red gear is the motor, then the intermediate gear and then on the right, the speedo shaft and gear. Everything is dry, no lube. I would suspect a manufacturing defect in yours or some other type of damage. Possibly a bad connection or software issues. You can disassemble the driver by unclipping the four tabs easy enough. The only part that falls out is the intermediate gear and it has to be installed right side up to work. The tiny gear on the hub is visible below the red gear and it is correct in the pic. It was easy enough to reassemble.

Good luck in your troubleshooting.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #22
Roy Barnes
Riding for the SON

Oddometer: 27
I guess I will just live with it as the gps tell the speed. I have over 100,000 miles on the bike. Started to stick when in the sun, but now it sticks all the time.
Roy Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
FredRydr

I just noticed that my tach needle was going no higher than 1,000 RPM.

Well, I knew I'd have to revisit familiar territory, so I took the Kombi unit off the bike and removed the front cover. I reconnected the Kombi to the harness and messed about with the gauge face hoping to find a sweet spot, but every time I pressed the cover back into place and turned on the ignition switch, the tach needle would bind.

Finally, I carefully pulled the tach needle off its shaft using needle-nose pliers. There is a little metal band around the underside of the needle; I cannot be sure if it functions as a bushing, but I was contemplating wiping a tiny drop of liquid silicon on it. But before I took that step, I saw that the tach's shaft from the circuit board was ever so slightly off-center through the white plastic reflector housing, the part that I had replaced. I loosened the three T-7 screws and pressed the white plastic reflector in the direction I wanted, then I screwed the three screws tight. The shaft was now centered.

I replaced the needle, pressed the cover into place, turned on the ignition, and the tach needle properly swept all the way up to the redline!

Fred
Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #24
Reaver OP
Outta Here

You did all this yourself? No experts were consulted?

Impressive.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
FredRydr

Quote:
...drivel deleted....
May the innards of your Kombi melt the next time you turn your key.

Fred

P.S. Is it a bushing?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #26
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Still sore over us not trading for the Saab?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,676
Or as we would say in Denmark... " May your a$$ itch, and arms be too short."

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #28
FredRydr

Or as Johnny Carson once said, "May the sewers of Rangoon back up into your breakfast."

Fred
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #29
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,606
Quote:
You did all this yourself? No experts were consulted?

Impressive.

Don't let the Federal Government know you're messing with a speedometer...the IRS, DOT, DOD, EPA, ICC and Homeland Security may target you for a fine or worse.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
Reaver OP
Outta Here

Just an update on my China Kombi Kase.

I put about 1200 kms on the repaired gauges with the replacement case from China. I noticed that I was getting condensation inside the glass occasionally. Also when cold, the LCD display showed "waves" like when you bend an LCD display or push on a calculator screen. If you know what a calculator was. I disassembled the unit again and trimmed the plastic posts a hair to remove some clamping force on the LCD. I'm thinking maybe the halves were being held apart by the LCD interference and maybe the gasket wasn't tight enough causing both issues. I'll reassemble it and put silicone on the seam. I already put the face in water to check the glass for leaks. Seems ok.

As for the used gauge reprogramming, the Dealer CAN't do this. They tried for 2 hours, failed and didn't charge me.

However, the code was cracked by the underground resistance forces and my repaired gauges work like they're supposed to now with proper ABS function and TPMS readouts.

The Gauge Reprogramming thread is HERE.

Reaver screwed with this post 10-05-2014 at 07:58 AM