User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #2071
Piki42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Noisy Engine?

Is the the F700GS/F800GS engine naturally noisy? Mine's still new but there's all sorts of weird little sounds above the sound of the engine that feel a bit unnatural. For example, at a stop and in gear, there's a clacking sound. Or when riding around, there's a sound similar to that of a piece of wrapping paper or plastic fluttering about in the wind. I have no idea what's causing these noises - perhaps the chain? The sounds are hard to describe (rattling? clicking?) but there's a few of them

I know that the rattling when the bike is in neutral with the clutch out is caused by the clutch plates. And that's fine. The other sounds - particularly when riding are more of a bother.

I can get used the noises. I'm just trying to figure out if they're normal.

In terms of mileage, I've been riding mostly around the city at getting 4.8l/100km, or the bike gets to 250km before a refuel. That seems awfully low to me but again, I'm not sure if that's normal for the bike during the break-in process
Piki42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM   #2072
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Noisy Engine...

Has the bike been in for the break-in maintenance yet? If not, report the sounds when they do that service.

I expect that much of it will disappear once that service is done. The break-in oil is unbelievably thin (which I imagine is why they want you to go so easy on the bike during break-in).
ChicoProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #2073
Piki42
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoProf View Post
Has the bike been in for the break-in maintenance yet? If not, report the sounds when they do that service.

I expect that much of it will disappear once that service is done. The break-in oil is unbelievably thin (which I imagine is why they want you to go so easy on the bike during break-in).
No it hasn't yet. I just have 500km, hoping to add on another 250km this weekend. That's good to know about the oil - I've been keeping to between 3000 to 4500 RPM so far
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #2074
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
The break-in oil is unbelievably thin.
What's the source of this info? What brand/grade is the break-in oil?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #2075
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piki42 View Post
Is the the F700GS/F800GS engine naturally noisy?
Not in my experience, but maybe it depends on one's point of reference. Definitely mention it to the service dept when you go in for your next service.

Quote:
In terms of mileage, I've been riding mostly around the city at getting 4.8l/100km, or the bike gets to 250km before a refuel. That seems awfully low to me but again, I'm not sure if that's normal for the bike during the break-in process
4.8l/100km is 49 mpg (US). Depending on your specific riding patterns, trip duration, rider weight, etc., what you're getting may not be particularly unusual. I average around 55-60 mpg, but that's mainly riding back roads at around 55 mph without too many stops and slowdowns, and while being very gentle on the accelerator. I also only weigh 150 lbs and don't carry any luggage with me.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:07 AM   #2076
Piki42
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
Not in my experience, but maybe it depends on one's point of reference. Definitely mention it to the service dept when you go in for your next service.

4.8l/100km is 49 mpg (US). Depending on your specific riding patterns, trip duration, rider weight, etc., what you're getting may not be particularly unusual. I average around 55-60 mpg, but that's mainly riding back roads at around 55 mph without too many stops and slowdowns, and while being very gentle on the accelerator. I also only weigh 150 lbs and don't carry any luggage with me.
I definitely will flag that and ask the mechanic to take it out for a test ride. This is probably a case of me just having to get used to it but I'm really hoping that there's not out of the ordinary there. My experience with bikes isn't all that extensive - trained on a used TU250X before riding the G650GS for a year. Both bikes had noisy engines but no ticking, clacking or rattles.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:00 PM   #2077
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
What's the source of this info? What brand/grade is the break-in oil?
No idea of the brand/grade, and I am as far from an expert on BMWs or oil characteristics that you can find. My dealership invites you to come in as close as you like while they service the bike (totally at odds with the claim most make about "insurance liability"), and welcomed me to use it as a lesson for how I can do future service myself. The tech told me to watch for the thinness as he emptied it out. It looked almost watery to me, and quite different from other motorcycle oil I've changed myself.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:46 PM   #2078
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Is the the F700GS/F800GS engine naturally noisy? Mine's still new but there's all sorts of weird little sounds above the sound of the engine that feel a bit unnatural. For example, at a stop and in gear, there's a clacking sound. Or when riding around, there's a sound similar to that of a piece of wrapping paper or plastic fluttering about in the wind. I have no idea what's causing these noises - perhaps the chain? The sounds are hard to describe (rattling? clicking?) but there's a few of them

I know that the rattling when the bike is in neutral with the clutch out is caused by the clutch plates. And that's fine. The other sounds - particularly when riding are more of a bother.

I can get used the noises. I'm just trying to figure out if they're normal.

Some noise may be from the floating rotors, the engine does have some "ticking noises" that you will have to get used to, a bit of chain noise...I try to lube it every 500kms, lately it's more like every 1000k. I came from a KLR that has it's own slapping valve sound.

If you see another in a paring lot...ask them to start it up to compare till you can get to the dealer.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #2079
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The tech told me to watch for the thinness as he emptied it out. It looked almost watery to me, and quite different from other motorcycle oil I've changed myself.
Hot oil flows a lot easier than cold oil.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #2080
ADVCanuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Just what I was about to say Pete7874 - kinda puzzled why the mechanic would say that otherwise....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

"Wherever you go, there you are" - Jon Kabat-Zinn
ADVCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #2081
ChicoProf
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hot oil flows a lot easier than cold oil.
Yep; well aware. I've changed the oil on my other bike twice in the last year in the comfort of my own garage.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #2082
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
edited

My fuel economy picked up after the 1000k service. They used to "flash" the memory to reset everything, not sure if they still do that.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #2083
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

I believe you can reset it by holding down the INFO button when on the mpg screen
[IMG] photo 9019B5AA-7F7B-49E6-BCD6-0A70AF49CF0A.png[/IMG]

ADVer screwed with this post 08-30-2014 at 11:48 AM
ADVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #2084
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVer View Post
I believe you can reset it by holding down the INFO button when on the mpg screen
[IMG] photo 9019B5AA-7F7B-49E6-BCD6-0A70AF49CF0A.png[/IMG]
That's just for you knowledge and is more a trip odometer…from what I understand, at the first service they reset the ECU and then the bike relearns everything.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #2085
ibgary
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
No idea of the brand/grade, and I am as far from an expert on BMWs or oil characteristics that you can find. My dealership invites you to come in as close as you like while they service the bike (totally at odds with the claim most make about "insurance liability"), and welcomed me to use it as a lesson for how I can do future service myself. The tech told me to watch for the thinness as he emptied it out. It looked almost watery to me, and quite different from other motorcycle oil I've changed myself.
What dealership? If it's close I'll go there.
Iron Horse in Tucson Az, let me use there lift, there tools and ask questions. I tranny did I melt down and they didn't have time to replace it. Best dealership I've ever been in.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk