User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
pebmr OP
Retired Marathoner

Oddometer: 54
F650GS-No Fan

2009 F650GS Twin, started overheating in rush hour on the freeway, check engine light came on, yellow warning, then red. :( Got home, fan appears clear, is clean, rotates easily. Topped off coolant, bled out some. Tried it again, and it just keeps getting hotter-4 bars, then 5 bars, but still no fan operation. The entire radiator is hot during this.

Never brought a bike to the dealer, but not sure what to do next. And, Dealer is two weeks out. I bought this two years ago with 3K miles as a travel bike, and it's only got 8K on it now. Pretty much new in my book. Any suggestions?

Todd
pebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Likely thermostat is full of sludge, sits at bottom of radiator.
overdue for a coolant change anyway, 6 year old antifreeze is ASKING for trouble.
Bikes don't take well to sitting unused.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #3
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I have a similar problem. I just got a GS-911, and it shows a cooling fan fault. I don't believe it's the thermostat for the simple fact that the bike knows it is getting hot - the temp gauge is rising, caution and then warning lights appear if not checked. My theory is that the cooling fan was jammed at some point, and the motor burned out. I've had problems with the thing forever, it seems to jam up if a spec of dust lands on it. When I have a day I'm going to pull the fan and directly apply some juice to trouble shoot the problem.
Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
GS-911 can manually turn on fan ... if you don't have access to one my first thought would be to unplug the fan from the wiring harness and apply 12V directly to the fan and see if it spins up ... and go from there...

Bleeding air out of the cooling system on these bikes is a bitch some times, but if you have not "cracked the system" recently or had a hose blow off it would not be my first suspicion that you had air in the way....

Here's a story on how that might play out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691458
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,327
I've got the same thing happening on my '09 F8. Full bars, warning lights, puking coolant, no fan. Fan is clear and rotates easily. Hard wire the fan to the battery, fan works, bike doesn't over heat with fan hard wired. Plug fan back into harness, it doesn't come on and the bike over heats quickly.

The wiring from the fan to the ECU all appears to be good so it seems the ECU isn't telling the fan to come on. Since the dash gauge seems accurate that should mean the temp sensor and wiring to the ECU are both good. I think if the thermostat was f'd, the fan should still be running since the temp sensor is in the motor not the rad.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #6
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
It is common to have a rock slip into the fan an jam it as some suggest. Take a look. Feel, and spin. One screw can open the fas shroud easily at the bottom. I had a rock in mine. Fan turned out to be okay and worked in the end. If jammed. Clear it, spin it. Idle bike in your driveway for about 5-10 minutes and the fan should come on if it works.

Good luck
Old 08-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
pebmr OP
Retired Marathoner

Sad Day

I gave up and brought it in to the dealer. First time since returning to riding 6 years ago, and with 5 bikes, that I had to do this. I don't do much maintenance on cars, but since I got my R1150 in 08 I thought I'd give it a try myself. I've done all fluids, valves, throttle body syncs, diagnosed and swapped out bad ignition coil, changed and balance tires,... But now bikes are just getting too complicated sometimes. Dealer said it could be a bad sensor, but of course they are 1-2 weeks out. How am I supposed to find a bad sensor??? I'll post the results after it's fixed.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
GS-911 can manually turn on fan ...
I need to learn that trick. Just got it last week, I'm still trying to get the wi-fi going.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok so my fan works, at least when the gs911 calls for it. So maybe my problem is a sensor? I'm glad I don't sit in traffic very often, cause I don't think this is getting fixed soon.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357 View Post
Ok so my fan works, at least when the gs911 calls for it. So maybe my problem is a sensor?
I find this interesting but thankfully not my problem. For you guys I did some research.

There are 3 temp sensors. Outside temp displayed on your dash, air intake temp for engine use and cylinder head temp. The latter reports to the BMSK ECU for engine use then on to the Kombi instruments which displays your coolant temp.

If the ECU detects a sensor fault it will light up the "check engine" display. Also in normal ops when actually hot. A sludged up rad won't stop the fan from turning, only render it's effects useless.

If GS911 can command the fan and it works, that rules out the fan and wiring. Likely rules out the ECU since the 911 has to ask it to run the fan and it does so.

There is no published test for a temp sensor but it's a thermistor with about 3.2K ohms at room temp between the two pins and open to ground(infinite) . It's inversely proportional so lower resistance at higher temps.

Max shows $42 US for one so just change it before something bad happens. OP says they're two weeks away so order one up now or check stock at your favourite Dealer. I'm going to the parts shed, back in a moment.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Reaver
Outta Here

Only found a smashed one. Was hoping to cash in from the high demand and no supply.

With my uncalibrated precision instrument from the fine makers of quality goods based in China, it read 2K ohms and decreasing as my warm hands tried to keep the probes on the smashed wiring bits.

FYI wrench size was 22 mm.
Further FYI the grey plastic sensor is oil pressure and has 1 pin. The one inboard of that is the temp sensor with black plastic and has 2 pins.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 12:42 PM
Old 08-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #12
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
might try running the bike with the sensor disconnected if you haven't already. Many cars default the fan to permanently ON if the probe is faulty.
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
might try running the bike with the sensor disconnected if you haven't already. Many cars default the fan to permanently ON if the probe is faulty.
Good thought!

That's just exactly what a failsafe programmer would do ...

Mongo - let us know what happens if you do disconnect it .........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
pebmr OP
Retired Marathoner

Dead Fan

Dealer says it's a dead fan. New one on the way. Little disappointing when the bike hasn't really even been muddy. Yeah it got a little dusty out to Yellowstone and back, but radiator never even muddy so fan should've been fine. And it spun freely when I checked it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
Reaver
Outta Here

Let us know how that works out. Still waiting for the others who say the fan is good but doesn't come on.

Sometimes a bike that sits is worse off than one that has a lot of miles. It's somewhat common for a fuel pump to seize from lack of use. I haven't had a fan apart to see if it's brushless or what but you say it turned freely. Dunno. Make sure you get your old one back.