Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #61
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
The waiting is a good thing though, and if I were shopping for a new one, I'd wait a little longer. Because the 2015s are hawwwwt!

Unfortunately, I'm stuck sniffing around trying to find a reasonably priced 2009 F650GS, since my wife really, really, really doesn't want me getting a bike...
That looks nice, If I rode less on dirt I wouldn't mind having that one.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM   #62
Paladin7429
n00b

Oddometer: 4
[QUOTE=1911MotoChick;24909058]Hello!

So, question is, does anyone have anything negative to say about that bike or BMW's in general? Are they generally reliable? Are there any known issues I should be looking out for?

I've had my F700GS for two years now (in September), with no problems. Not a lot of miles. The absolute worst thing about it is the seat. I am 5'10" - 200 lb and the seat wants to push me forward. And it is not wide enough for my butt. Height is OK, but rise is in the wrong place for me. Corbin does not make a replacement for it yet. I bought one of those gel seats for people with hemorrhoids and I tie it on. It helps, I can go 350 miles in a day, but I want off before that. The only other issue is that you should plan on spending about $2000 for all of the needed farkles, e.g., panniers and framework, engine guards, skid plate, radiator guard, headlight guard, mirror extensions, etc.
Paladin7429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #63
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin7429 View Post

I've had my F700GS for two years now (in September), with no problems. Not a lot of miles. The absolute worst thing about it is the seat. I am 5'10" - 200 lb and the seat wants to push me forward. And it is not wide enough for my butt. Height is OK, but rise is in the wrong place for me. Corbin does not make a replacement for it yet. I bought one of those gel seats for people with hemorrhoids and I tie it on. It helps, I can go 350 miles in a day, but I want off before that. The only other issue is that you should plan on spending about $2000 for all of the needed farkles, e.g., panniers and framework, engine guards, skid plate, radiator guard, headlight guard, mirror extensions, etc.
My wife, and others have the same problem with the F700/650GS. The F800GS sets higher in the front in relation to the rear, compared to the F700/650GS, but uses the same seats. It's not a problem on the 800. The Rally seat is taller in the front and solves the problem, my wife likes that seat the best but it's a little to tall for her. She uses the Comfort seat as it is a little flatter (not lower in the front) and wider also. You may want to try that. Your BMW dealer should let you test ride one. And when buying a new bike they generally sell the bike with whatever seat you like no extra cost.

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #64
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I've sat on all three seats, and i will ride with all just to be sure on Tuesday.
1911MotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #65
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I have a custom seat and the bmw low seat -- some days I prefer the low. Both are for me way better than the stock.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #66
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
I have a custom seat and the bmw low seat -- some days I prefer the low. Both are for me way better than the stock.
Awesome about the custom seat. Where do you get those? Do they fit the bike as well as something OEM?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #67
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
I’ve just done a write-up about 2 1/2 years with my F800GS - however it is about 90% applicable to the F700... http://www.gelandestrasse.co.uk/2014...on-f800gs.html

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #68
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MotoChick View Post
Awesome about the custom seat. Where do you get those? Do they fit the bike as well as something OEM?
Various makers do custom seats on the stock pan -- ie you send (or go there with) your seat and they build a new one. Other companies (Sargent comes to mind) make seats with their own pans to fit. If you search the forum you will find many threads. Mine is on the oem pan.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #69
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
I’ve just done a write-up about 2 1/2 years with my F800GS - however it is about 90% applicable to the F700... http://www.gelandestrasse.co.uk/2014...on-f800gs.html
Excellent review, honest and thorough. Oh man, now I'm even more anxious for Tuesday to arrive! Argh!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #70
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
Various makers do custom seats on the stock pan -- ie you send (or go there with) your seat and they build a new one. Other companies (Sargent comes to mind) make seats with their own pans to fit. If you search the forum you will find many threads. Mine is on the oem pan.
Awesome, thank you!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #71
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MotoChick View Post
Excellent review, honest and thorough. Oh man, now I'm even more anxious for Tuesday to arrive! Argh!
Thanks! Can’t wait to see pix!!!

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM   #72
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
The only thing wrong with the F700 is it is a little too perfect...

I know that sounds weird, but the weirdest thing is that is so competent it is almost boring. Nothing you could point to and say "character"

Scraped a peg in a super tight uphill hairpin that had more reverse camber than I thought, and it could not care less. Peg threw a few sparks, moved my foot up out of the way and kept on cornering like nothing had happened.

The only way I would have crashed is if I had panicked, the bike did not care that it lost a little metal, the line did not change at all.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #73
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
The only thing wrong with the F700 is it is a little too perfect...

I know that sounds weird, but the weirdest thing is that is so competent it is almost boring. Nothing you could point to and say "character"

Scraped a peg in a super tight uphill hairpin that had more reverse camber than I thought, and it could not care less. Peg threw a few sparks, moved my foot up out of the way and kept on cornering like nothing had happened.

The only way I would have crashed is if I had panicked, the bike did not care that it lost a little metal, the line did not change at all.
funny you should say that, a friend of mine who is on this very site has told me the exact same thing about his 8GS and sold it. Now he rides a R80GS
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #74
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
I have a CB550, a P200 and a 650XS2 if I really really want excitement.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:11 PM   #75
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

She's Home!

Well went today, Ian, the guy that I bought the Bonneville last year was sick, but I am out this week already and already waited a week so I had to pull the trigger; so used Arlie, good guy too. Hey, they each got a sale from us though.

That said, she is home! I love her! Wayyyyy more of a machine than the Guzzi, faster, smoother, more responsive and I am in love!

I'll get better pics :)
Attached Images