User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #196
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
One more negative -

Picking up a dropped bike on any type of incline/decline... This may be the worst negative of all. Note to self - DONT drop the bike!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #197
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Soooooo.... I had a feeling this would happen.....
Someone following my install video, managed not to read the install instructions from Rekluse, not the note in my video, and did not install the top OEM drive plate, called Rekluse, and moaned. They rang me, and I had to explain my video, which I did.
So please pay attention to what ever material you are using to install this. You off course need to follow the manual. If you dont, you will have issues.
Please pay attention to what the note says in the video, and off course the manual.

That was the old install video.
The now install video have been changed to ensure that proper attention is given to important notes, as they are there to protect you, and your bike.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 02:56 PM
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #198
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 172
Mine was delivered today. To bad I'm out of town for the week. Appreciate your videos and thread input. Good luck with the sale.
11Husqvarna TE 449
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #199
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rrr View Post
Mine was delivered today. To bad I'm out of town for the week. Appreciate your videos and thread input. Good luck with the sale.
Thanks Kyle. We shall see if I sell it. Ya never know...

Erling
Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 AM   #200
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
One more negative -

Picking up a dropped bike on any type of incline/decline... This may be the worst negative of all. Note to self - DONT drop the bike!
I managed to do a turnaround from about 80 kph in deep churned up mud, and wound up facing the way I'd come, laying on my side. It was an incline, but not huge.

The engine didn't stop running. It took a while to get out from under it, and stand it up, but I left it running the whole time. I was on the right side of the bike when I stood it, and it tried to go backwards. I just used a little throttle to hold it while I made sure of my footing. Then while holding the front brake I leaned over the seat and used my hand to lower the side stand, the engine stopped, and let the bike lean on the stand. (The stand has a large square foot welded onto it, it's about 50mm by 70mm, with lots of small holes to try and lighten it up. It's still too heavy, but hasn't caused serious issues other than an annoying clunk from the stand when I go over jumps or hit something hard)

On a real slope it would be difficult to do. I'd just drag the bike so it was side on to the slope, wheels on the downhill side, lift and remount. Much like I do now if I dump it in the dirt.

It's definitely a consideration. For me, being 2 up in the dirt the majority of the time, I couldn't hold the bike upright on a steep slope if it stalled anyway. It's happened maybe 3 times in 70,000km. I stall, the brakes wont hold it, the whole show is going backwards and I'm a passenger. I try to turn the front wheel to swing the bike side on to the slope and crash "up hill". That doesn't always work. I ended up upside down in a ditch half way up a hill once. By upside down I mean petrol pissing out of the bike and the wife and I both pinned under it almost completely upside down.

I have found the Rekluse to be stall proof so far. Not once has it stalled. So in theory that eliminates the cause of every one of my stall and fall crashes.

In theory.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #201
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I managed to do a turnaround from about 80 kph in deep churned up mud, and wound up facing the way I'd come, laying on my side. It was an incline, but not huge.

The engine didn't stop running. It took a while to get out from under it, and stand it up, but I left it running the whole time. I was on the right side of the bike when I stood it, and it tried to go backwards. I just used a little throttle to hold it while I made sure of my footing. Then while holding the front brake I leaned over the seat and used my hand to lower the side stand, the engine stopped, and let the bike lean on the stand. (The stand has a large square foot welded onto it, it's about 50mm by 70mm, with lots of small holes to try and lighten it up. It's still too heavy, but hasn't caused serious issues other than an annoying clunk from the stand when I go over jumps or hit something hard)

On a real slope it would be difficult to do. I'd just drag the bike so it was side on to the slope, wheels on the downhill side, lift and remount. Much like I do now if I dump it in the dirt.

It's definitely a consideration. For me, being 2 up in the dirt the majority of the time, I couldn't hold the bike upright on a steep slope if it stalled anyway. It's happened maybe 3 times in 70,000km. I stall, the brakes wont hold it, the whole show is going backwards and I'm a passenger. I try to turn the front wheel to swing the bike side on to the slope and crash "up hill". That doesn't always work. I ended up upside down in a ditch half way up a hill once. By upside down I mean petrol pissing out of the bike and the wife and I both pinned under it almost completely upside down.

I have found the Rekluse to be stall proof so far. Not once has it stalled. So in theory that eliminates the cause of every one of my stall and fall crashes.

In theory.
Good stuff Snowy...! It's all about how to manage the situation at hand I guess. The many benefits completely out-weigh the few negs.

I'm on the fence about buying the 'Kluce not because of cost or performance, but because of my age, back surgery 6 years ago, etc... Being 55 and refusing to grow up gets to be a hassle! I've considered selling my 800 but just really hard to let go!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #202
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
\I'm on the fence about buying the 'Kluce not because of cost or performance, but because of my age, back surgery 6 years ago, etc... Being 55 and refusing to grow up gets to be a hassle! I've considered selling my 800 but just really hard to let go!
This is part of the reason I got mine. Back surgeries and this clutch lessens the chances that I will be dropping the bike. I am not a hooligan but this is making life much easier.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #203
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
This is part of the reason I got mine. Back surgeries and this clutch lessens the chances that I will be dropping the bike. I am not a hooligan but this is making life much easier.
We will almost be neighbors. I am moving to the grand junction area in the next few months. I see a lot of riding in my future.

Erling
Old 08-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #204
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oh hell yes! All that AND on your new big bike. You'll have to get that "BMW Dealership" squared away. They are more Hardley than Beemer but you will help them see the light. I'll meet you half way neighbor.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #205
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Oh hell yes! All that AND on your new big bike. You'll have to get that "BMW Dealership" squared away. They are more Hardley than Beemer but you will help them see the light. I'll meet you half way neighbor.
Funny you should mention that. Before I bought my gs back in 2009.... I gave the Junction guys a chance to sell me one..... And after having to ask for permission to go past their roped off section where their bmw sat..... They never got back with me. I left the city, thinking they were a bunch of fools. Seems like nothing have changed..... Ha... Good times ahed.

Erling
Old 09-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #206
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
Quote:

I'm on the fence about buying the 'Kluce not because of cost or performance, but because of my age, back surgery 6 years ago, etc... Being 55 and refusing to grow up gets to be a hassle! I've considered selling my 800 but just really hard to let go!
Hell you are just a young pup ! I'll be 68 in about a month -- had back surgery last year and knee surgery this year -- I am going to get the Rekluse because I believe it will reduce the chance of injury for me. I'm not crazy about the "free rolling" side effects of the Rekluse when having fallen on a hill but I'm hoping that I will fall a lot less often. Remember like the T shirt says -- "You don't quit riding because you get old -- You get old because you quit riding"

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #207
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
Hell you are just a young pup ! I'll be 68 in about a month -- had back surgery last year and knee surgery this year -- I am going to get the Rekluse because I believe it will reduce the chance of injury for me. I'm not crazy about the "free rolling" side effects of the Rekluse when having fallen on a hill but I'm hoping that I will fall a lot less often. Remember like the T shirt says -- "You don't quit riding because you get old -- You get old because you quit riding"
GOOD Feedback XT Traveler...! Just what I needed!
Old 09-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #208
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
I think that is a valid point. The 8GS is somewhat volatile, at the low rpm that most people, ride when off roading. Granted cruising down a dirt road @30-50 mph you will see no difference. But I cannot count the amount of times, in first, at about 2-3000 rpm that thing had a bad bounce on either the front or rear, and lunged like a bronco, before I could grab the clutch and close the throttle, and now what. Heart going.....momentum stopped. If that is you, the EXP will inspire confidence, not fear, and you will relax, and enjoy those sections.

Erling
Old 09-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #209
eddyturn
Wannabe

Did some sand stuff with slick rock thrown in for good measure. First time for that shit on the 800. Confidence inspiring for sure. This clutch makes me worry a lot less about crashing. 63 and 3 back surgeries and unfortunately, one more to go over the winter. Love this thing and want ride more and more except when I want to mountain bike more and more. I resolved the free rolling issue with one of those long rubber/wire big ass twisties you see in the stores these days. Wrapped around the front brake bobble-head and it's easy to undo and then put around the front brake lever. Problem solved and it's adjustable and in many colors too. Velcro thing worked well too but this is cooler.

I figure if Earling will go up those San Juan passes on his 1200, I can sure keep with him now cuz of this clutch.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:21 AM   #210
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did some sand stuff with slick rock thrown in for good measure. First time for that shit on the 800. Confidence inspiring for sure. This clutch makes me worry a lot less about crashing. 63 and 3 back surgeries and unfortunately, one more to go over the winter. Love this thing and want ride more and more except when I want to mountain bike more and more. I resolved the free rolling issue with one of those long rubber/wire big ass twisties you see in the stores these days. Wrapped around the front brake bobble-head and it's easy to undo and then put around the front brake lever. Problem solved and it's adjustable and in many colors too. Velcro thing worked well too but this is cooler.

I figure if Earling will go up those San Juan passes on his 1200, I can sure keep with him now cuz of this clutch.
Ha ha ha.... I think alpine loop, as start.....corkscrew, hurricane, California...... then maybe Ophir, and Imogene.....
Pfsstttttt..... I use the rubber band the rekluse came with. Simply install it on the right lever, just as you did on the left to check free play gain. Works like a charm.

Erling