Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #721
MikeK-DBX
Mike UAE

Oddometer: 11
Seems like I need to do a bit better googling to get a better price ... even though shipping to UAE is usually expensive.

But I am going to go for the TKCs again... I really liked my first set and I assume the higher rear wear rate is an indicator of better grip on road, which is something I am happy to pay for.

Thanks all,
Mike
MikeK-DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #722
Mark or Jack
BMW F 800 GS

Oddometer: 129
How do you guys find the F800 in soft sand?

I am running Mitas E09;
Rear 150 70 R17
Front 90 60 R21.

I recently did a trip to Cape York, 2600km.

I found the front to be a sand plough, it just kept digging in and I couldn't get back on the bike far enough to make it easier.
There was probably 25kg of luggage on the back of the bike and it was worse when that wasn't on there.

Is my front tyre too narrow?

Apart from the sand I have found he Mitas E09 to be excellent.
The rear tyre almost needs to be turned around but that was very hard terrain the whole way.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #723
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Soft Sand

We don't have miles of soft sand here but recently did quite a bit and I think a heavy bike will always be more of a handful in the sand. I was running a D606 aired down to 22 in front and it was OK. Also have a steering damper and that helps. No one really seems to be a big fan of the E09 front. I've used the rear a few times and liked it except on wet tarmac where I scared myself a few times and I wasn't going that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark or Jack View Post
How do you guys find the F800 in soft sand?

I am running Mitas E09;
Rear 150 70 R17
Front 90 60 R21.

I recently did a trip to Cape York, 2600km.

I found the front to be a sand plough, it just kept digging in and I couldn't get back on the bike far enough to make it easier.
There was probably 25kg of luggage on the back of the bike and it was worse when that wasn't on there.

Is my front tyre too narrow?

Apart from the sand I have found he Mitas E09 to be excellent.
The rear tyre almost needs to be turned around but that was very hard terrain the whole way.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #724
Mark or Jack
BMW F 800 GS

Thanks mate.
I did put some of it down to the bike being heavy along with the fact that for it to be as good as it is on road it must be very well balanced so being a bit front heavy is probably a compromise.

I haven't ridden with the E09 on road much yet and not at all in wet conditions.

They do seem pretty good on road in the dry, up there with the Hidenau K60 which were my previous tyres front and rear.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #725
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Oddometer: 161
I spent some time in the spring in Death Valley this year. Lots of sand there. I had a set of K60 front and back and aired down to maybe 24 psi front and 22 back. No steering damper.
Had a hell of a time till I learned what to do in sand. It sounds a little cavalier to say this, but your throttle is your friend. When it feels like it's all going south, and the bike is about to plow in on you, give it more gas.
On the road the Saline Valley were were hitting stretches of soft sand 400 to 500 ft long between graded gravel sections at 60 to 80 km/hr. The bike will dance around under you, but she handled it well, unless I went slow which would test my ability to swallow my heart every time.
I don't have experience with other tires, but I found that I was more of an issue than the bike.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #726
Mark or Jack
BMW F 800 GS

I agree with your tips for sand riding, I have done a bit before on lighter bikes.
However I found the F800 ploughed in so quickly that sometimes the throttle wasn't really an option.
On long straights it was okay but where I was riding was 4WD tracks, mostly twisty windy wheel ruts filled with soft sand making it difficult to maintain momentum.

I have been warned off going to lower pressures on the rear because the is no rim lock.
What are your thoughts in this?
Old 09-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #727
Captain Excellent
+ll+

Ha, rim lock. Funny you should mention that. I had a front tire blow out at 100 km/hr this year. Managed to hold it up, but a rim lock might have let me use the front brake. Fortunately I didn't and so I didn't go down.
Never have had a rear tire issue, but I'm using a K60 which is known to be robust, and dam hard to spoon on so it sure hangs on to the rim on its own, even at low pressure.
Some of the riding in DV was slow speed canyon riding. Even then I found it was possible to manage the bike with the pressure additional throttle would apply to the sand through the front wheel. Scary none the less, but the bike wasn't the issue again. It had more to do with the chosen line and if I was accelerating or decelerating.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #728
Captain Excellent
+ll+

BTW, it comes to mind that I was keeping my weight way back to lighten up the front wheel. I think that makes a big difference.
Motoriley has ridden much more sand than I. I'd be interested to hear his comments on style over rubber.