Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #256
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Come one, come all...A few of us are meeting up this Saturday morning for breakfast at Chekmarc's in Palm Bay around 0730. We're probably going to be riding the Palm Bay and Valkaria-Grant area after breakfast. At least a skid and front knob are recommended.

Chekmarc's is at 2162 Harris Ave NE.
Kommando, I'd like to hook up with you guys one weekend. I'm out of town this week and won't be home till Sat evening.

Chekmarc's is a great place to eat and the Valkaria/ Malabar/Grant area is my backyard.

Post up next time you get up a ride down in that area. Sat's work best for me. Actually, any day but Sunday is OK.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #257
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Kommando, I'd like to hook up with you guys one weekend. I'm out of town this week and won't be home till Sat evening.

Chekmarc's is a great place to eat and the Valkaria/ Malabar/Grant area is my backyard.

Post up next time you get up a ride down in that area. Sat's work best for me. Actually, any day but Sunday is OK.

RB
We'll be looking for some of you other riders to join us sometime. We had an awesome ride this morning, and managed to avoid almost all the rain.

BDolnick had to navigate us around the worst of the flooded areas in the woods, but we did quite a bit of fun singletrack and quad trails through palmettos, roots, sand, stumps, ledges, water-holes, fallen timber, and light mud. I feel like a little kid when riding this stuff, wheelying off of the ledges and across the small water-holes.

Then we rode down to the Stick Marsh by Canal 54. As a finale, we stopped for Dairy Queen, crossed the intercoastal wateway, and then rode the Jungle Trail up from the Wabasso area, rolling towards Sebastian and then over the inlet on A1A.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #258
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

BDolnick and I are meeting by Harbor City Diner on the west side of Wickham, just north of 192, at 0700hrs tomorrow. If some of you all want to meet up to ride Bull Creek, routes off of Crabgrass Rd., and possibly more, come on out to meet up and have breakfast.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #259
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Bull Creek WMA is open for youth turkey season right now, so a lot of side routes that are normally closed to vehicles are currently open. I recommend bright colors if you want to ride out there right now. We saw turkeys, vultures, and a gator out there today.

A group of us is meeting to ride after breakfast at Chekmarc's tomorrow (Sunday) morning around 0730. Route TBD. A lot of ground out there is still wet right now, so expect to get dirty if you want to come ride.

2162 Harris Ave. NE, Palm Bay

Kommando screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 05:24 PM
Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 AM   #260
RBrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Bull Creek WMA is open for youth turkey season right now, so a lot of side routes that are normally closed to vehicles are currently open. I recommend bright colors if you want to ride out there right now. We saw turkeys, vultures, and a gator out there today.

A group of us is meeting to ride after breakfast at Chekmarc's tomorrow (Sunday) morning around 0730. Route TBD. A lot of ground out there is still wet right now, so expect to get dirty if you want to come ride.

2162 Harris Ave. NE, Palm Bay
Sorry I missed you guys. Hope you had a good ride.

RB
RBrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #261
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrider View Post
Sorry I missed you guys. Hope you had a good ride.

RB
There will be other rides. The small group of us that often meets at Chekmarc's, Harbor City Diner, or Malibu's usually ride on weekends. With it staying light for later in the day now, a few of us will probably be out riding during the week sometimes though. A good time to check here for meet-ups among our regular group is usually Friday evenings or Saturday mornings before 0630. I try to post by Friday evening after work if we're going to be meeting up on a weekend.

There are some others around the Spacecoast area that have a few more days available to ride. If more people start inquiring/posting here, I'm sure that some more rides during the week could get going.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #262
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

In the morning...We ride!

A few of us are meeting up to ride Sunday, March 16th. The others haven't set a time or place, so I'm taking the initiative...between 0700-0730 at Harbor City Diner, on the west side of Wickham, just north of 192. Route TBD.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #263
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Three Lakes WMA

Turkey season is over. I rode about 50 miles of dirt and sand today and saw no one. Had a great time by myself. If anyone wants to ride there let me know. I can meet anyone and show them around that area. I am not a burner.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #264
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOJIM View Post
Turkey season is over. I rode about 50 miles of dirt and sand today and saw no one. Had a great time by myself. If anyone wants to ride there let me know. I can meet anyone and show them around that area. I am not a burner.
Post up the next time you are headed out to 3 lakes.

What entrance do you normally use?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #265
RSOJIM
Adventurer

3 lakes

I use the 441 entrance. I can meet some of you at the 192 and 441 junction at Holopaw at the gas station about anytime anyone wants to go. I live in St Cloud. The entrance to Three Lakes is about about 13 miles south of Holopaw then turn right on Williams Rd. I put a new set of tires on my 250 Kawasaki last week and they are not knobbies. I got around purty good. Since I only have a 2 gallon gas tank, I need to fill up everywhere I can or take some gas with me. Lots of hard pack roads out in that area. Lots of scrub cattle in there also. Some places are not for motorized vehicles. We have to watch and obey, you never know when law enforcement will be patrolling. If and when we get up a ride remember to bring water and something to snack on, its a long way out. I was in there about 4 hours yesterday by myself and rode around 50 miles of trails. Lots of them are straight but some are nice and curvey. I am retired and can ride any day except Mondays or fishing days. I can adjust my fishing schedule when I need to ride.

RSOJIM screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 02:56 AM
Old 04-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #266
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,662
I'd be coming in from the south off of 60.

Do you ride mostly east or west of the turnpike?

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #267
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Sanjoh

I ride both sides of the turnpike, there are tunnels that go under the turnpike that makes both sides accessible when entering from the 441 side. As a matter of fact 441 is the only way one can enter on the east side of 523. There is a locked gate on the 523 side. One way in and the same way out. The west side of 523 is really not real good exploring or I don't think so. If you have never been over on that side, its a good place to explore one time. Lake Jackson is on that side and a place I call snake valley. I just about always see some venomous snakes over there. When looking at the map you posted above, it don't look like there is much riding and possible exploring on the 441 side, but those roads total somewhere around 50 miles round trip. Usually I am by myself and I stay in there about 4 hours riding with very few stops.

RSOJIM screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 02:14 PM
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #268
Sandspit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47

Past Bikes: KD 80, KX 80, CR 125, KX 250, numerous YZ 250's, DR 350, 750 Sabre

Sandspit screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 10:41 AM
Sandspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #269
dnfab
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Bringing the DR650 to Melb/Palm Bay

Gents,

I grew up in Melbourne and just went through the whole thread and didn't even realize some of the area's you guys are riding. That said, I rode the credit union on my cr80 back in the day, awesome that it's still available.

I will be bringing my DR650 up on 30 April - 3 May. I am helping my mother move some stuff into her "retirement" house in Palm Bay. They still have their house in East downtown Orlando. I'm hoping to tool around a bit as I won't be able to ride much offroad with the current SM setup. I haven't ridden dirt in a very long time as I've been on a Yamaha R6 for the last 10yrs and didn't ride much for years prior.

Regardless, I recently bought the DR650 in SM trim and have yet to figure out a tire that I want to run that will work for my all interstate commute [50 rnd trip] here in S. Florida. I'm really thinking I want to find a suitable tire for on/off road, besides its not like I'm burning up the corners down here.

If anyone is up for a meet, shoot me a PM and let me know when/where.

Don
dnfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #270
Kommando OP
Grumpy Young Man

I finally got out to ride some dirt for a bit today. Trails in the Palm Bay area are pretty dry right now.

It's definitely about time for some new tires. I've got a front IRC TR8 with around 8K miles on it, and a rear Kenda K270 with around 7K miles on it. Surprisingly, the chunky DR still gets around OK in the sand and mud.

Trails are fairly empty around here in the middle of the day right now. The heat and humidity might be factors. Stay hydrated out there.