User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
f8GSA SPEED WOBBLES

heading back home on the highway last night running about 82mph. Got a serious case of the speed wobbles and almost went down. just put on tkc80's about a 2 weeks ago. they have been balanced. it was about to storm and the wind was whipping around. also fully loaded down with gear. never experienced anything like this before. what caused this? riding f800gsa 2014
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
masco77
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Make sure your tires are mounted correctly. there are arrows on tire indicating correct direction for the tire to spin.
masco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,442
2014? It may be brand new, but have your wheels and steering head checked before hitting the road again, though it might just be your load resulted in your bike being too light over your front axle.

Fred
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040

Here we go again

If this is the first time its happened and the first time you have been "Fully Loaded"

CHECK YOUR REAR PRELOAD

its in the owners manual

this subject has been discussed at length many times. to find other threads use google search with

Site:advrider.com F800 + F700 + F650 wobbles
Old 09-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,298

is it just me or am I spreading? Reaver, I think we'll need to use protection from now on
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,614
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices. My swimmers have all drowned.

We should have a poll on cracked tanks. I can't be the only one.
How do I check my alternator? I hear some are bad?
How long do wheel bearings last and what's the PN?
I need service, what's the schedule and what oil should I use?
My chain is making a funny noise. It started after 2000 miles in the mud. What should I do?
What panniers are the best?
My tires are worn. Will I void the warranty if I put my own air in them?
Are orange ones faster?
I crossed a puddle and now my clutch is blown. Don't tell mom.

My Fav:
How do I change my clock to 24 hrs?

Questions are good. Humour is good. Not bothering to research then bitch when no one replies.....

To the OP, no offense. I'm just amusing myself again.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,442
So...when I say go search, I get assholes who say don't be rude and answer instead. When I answer I get assholes who say go search.

FYYFF

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 07:36 PM Reason: FYYFF
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
So...when I say go search, I get assholes who say don't be rude and answer instead. When I answer I get assholes who say go search.

FYYFF

Fred
Yeah Fred, you can't win.

You're outnumbered and outdummed.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Wow, so you two are they guys that "know everything there is to know" about these bikes, and you get annoyed when new people come into this bike specific forum to ask questions about the specific bikes? You two are like Statler and Waldorf, the two old guys from the balcony in the muppet show.

If it annoys you that much, stay out of the thread so perhaps others can answer or point people to some specific place in these giant threads where the answers can be found. There is a ton of information here, and likely I would have 50,000km on my new bike before I would have had time to sort through all of it.

It's not like the guy asked which oil to use.

All who wander are not lost.
OldPete2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Reaver
Outta Here

We just hashed it out extensively and that thread is barely on the second page.

It's like Groundhog Day.

If you're that sensitive then I would like to suggest you stay out of JM. Those guys are not nice.

Reaver screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 10:23 AM Reason: Beaker got butthurt over pic.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
But this isn't JM.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 AM   #12
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Hey if I came of like an ass..........so be it

as Reaver pointed out the last thread only made it to the second page.

I'll stop looking at the infinate number of threads that ask most of the questions on Reaver's list, even if there is sometimes some new, or interesting info.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
I have TKC-80's and get wobbles from time to time, road surface seems to effect things as does wind and draft from semi's. I've found that moving forward on the bike and laying down on the tank makes the wobbles go away.
Not sure if it is the change of wind resistance or the weight shift that matters.
Wobbles were more of a problem for me when traveling fully loaded with panniers attached. Sometimes I wanted to pass trucks quickly and ended up doing 95-100 mph and got hit with wobbles, down on the tank I go and wobbles vanish.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45 PM   #14
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
heading back home on the highway last night running about 82mph. Got a serious case of the speed wobbles and almost went down. just put on tkc80's about a 2 weeks ago. they have been balanced. it was about to storm and the wind was whipping around. also fully loaded down with gear. never experienced anything like this before. what caused this? riding f800gsa 2014
You are new here, so "welcome". The bike has been in production 6 years now. Not much has changed.

I guess some are getting tired of answering the same question over and over again. They are good resources, don't piss them off.

There is a section called stickys that attempted to group some of the common problems so noobs could go search. I will give you 1 strike for not knowing that.

Because the same questions have been asked so many times, the answers are all over the place. That's what happens when you do that. You can still search. Post your question in Google + ADV and you will likely find pertinent threads. That's strike 2.

Ignoring this is strike 3. The bike is a little light in front. Increase preload on the rear or run your forks into the clamps or some combination of both. Check your steering head bearings for looseness. THC80's are knobby's with soft rubber. Mine wandered until they got quite a few miles on them or buy a more street orientated tire.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 03:23 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #15
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
The problem is the F8GS/GSA don't like knobbie tires up front of any kind at speed over 120kph/70mph. Mine never liked Mitas E09 Dakars and I had a similar experience. It has nothing to do with your tire balancing or your steering head bearings, the bike is just too light in the front end ( for whatever reason ) and adding gear/weight to the rear end amplifies it tremendously. Steering dampener may help some but the cheaper solution is to watch your speed with knobbies or run a more street version like itsadm mentioned.
Oh and don't mind some of the members, they forget they were new here once asking questions there were already answers too. Sometimes it's just quicker ask the question, get the answer, help the guy along his merry way then to post " you didn't look hard enough " mumbo jumbo. They forget they were new here once and did the same thing.

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote