User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 816
Talking Your best" Trail Side Repair" Pic

Anyone out there got pictures of a trail side repair you've made?
A flat tire, pulling the plugs and draining water, tie-wiring a frame member together?
Here's a picture of a trail side tire repair. I had patches and air, but I had no centerstand (I do now). So what do you do...look for a stick that can hold up a KLR.
EbarDP48 > Misc Rides photo

I'm waiting to hear back from the patent office.

EbarDP48 > Misc Rides photo

Bert
04 KLR 650 A18
05 KTM 525 Tagged

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #2
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Heres one I thought was quite good at the time although its a mountaiin bike but I'll share and take the flak over it. I thought it was a more ingenious fix of a flat on the trail than anything I've done on a motorcycle. We were doing a mountain bike camping trip hauling all our gear down the trail from night to night. On the first day about 30 miles from our truck my friend gets a flat. No big deal normally except a three inch section of tire tore away from the bead allowing the tube to pop out of the tire and explode (actually thought it was a gun shot). Needless to say the tire was toast and we were screwed. I got the idea to take my gatorade bottle and cut the ends off and slice down the middle. I then wrapped it around the tube and shoved the hole thing in the tire. This kept the tube inside the torn tire and saved a trip we planned months in advance.
Attached Images

Will LC8 screwed with this post 04-01-2006 at 06:21 PM
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

the bottle
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

the trailside repair
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

the finished product that saved our trip
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 816
OUTSTANDING
That's one of the things I like about adventure riding. Away from the truck, just you and the bike and the things you have on you.
It can be a real "McGuyver " thing.

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Colorado Chris
ADVENTURE MOTORBIKING

Oddometer: 120
Rocker cover

Repaired with JB Weld

Using Vise-Grips to hold in place

Broken headlight. Used a plactic bottle as a defuser, and tape

Colorado Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #8
iswoolley
Restless traveller

Oddometer: 194
Morocco, a day's ride from anywhere; jerry can stands in for a centre stand.
Attached Images

iswoolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,811

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
bosco
Raybanned

Oddometer: 11,640

The above shifter repair used duct-tape and vice-grips, w/ a couple of pieces of shock-cord taken off my netting and a cottonwood branch found along the road. FYI, I replaced the shock-cord w/ stainless wire as soon as I got back to the motel.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
done the rocker cover one, more than..um, anyway.

Nice work! The gataorade repair is winnign for me at the moment, but the shirter is good. Saw a french guy do something similar with mole grips as a clutch lever!

keep them coming!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Using plastic mug for a wheel bearing

I'll try a cut and paste here, an excerpt from a trip a couple years ago, quoting Wes Weber:

"On the way back home, I noticed a little wobble on the way into Gunnison. After we had a nice lunch with KatieM and some people that say she belongs to them (yeah, like they could have a kid THAT good!), I wiggled both wheels and the front bearings seemed a little loose. The back was fine.

As we wandered up towards Cottonwood Pass I noticed the wobbling was intermittently getting worse, so I kept looking at the front wheel to check it. I'd make it home. Then it got REALLY bad REALLY quick. But it was difinitely the BACK wheel - I thought, 'Not ANOTHER frickin flat tire!!' I pulled over. Tire was fine. I spun the wheel. Oh CRAP!

The wheel moved sideways about 1.5 inches. Plus, when I spun it, it was eccentric. It would stretch my chain about 1/2 inch, then almost fall off the sprocket. Bad, bad news. Here's the bearing after we pulled it out.

Now some others say this could have been caused by the 10,274 water crossings I did during the photo shoot with Baldy. Some also say that this could have been aggrivated when Arethustra and I decended Imogene at 47 MPH. I still say its just because my bike hates me. But my wife loves me. So I got out the Sat phone and called Janet, and had her start heading towards Buena Vista (about 2 hours from our home in Golden). I had 30 miles to go in 2 hours. How we gonna fix this thing?

Some brain storming of the three of us led to the solution. I jokingly wished I had a piece of Delrin and my lathe to make a spacer in place of the bearing. Wayne suggesed some plastic on the bike, maybe zip-ties. JuanG had:

Yes, the famous OSCAR cup! It was perfect. Hard plastic, not too brittle, seemed to resist galling. Excellent, AFekete! Thanks for saving my butt! Did you have a bearing replacement in mind when you picked out the mugs! I thought so, nice job!

Wayne fabbed a split-ring spacer from the cup, and I fabbed another from my hand guard. After oiling this with my air filter oil from Failure Number 1, we had a low friction surface that should hold up well. I was able to ride 30mph for 30 miles on this. It probably could have gone longer and faster, but obviously I didn't want to push it. JuanG was gracious enough to follow behind with his hazard lights on to help keep everthing safe. Thanks, Juan.

A big thanks to all who helped me out through the weekend. It was awesome."

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
This is from my other thread about this trip and the photo isn't too much but the repair story is my best yet. It Happened about a month ago on the side of the national highway in Niger.

Ok back at it. SO the bike just quit. The voltage regulator has been overheating ever since I got the bike and even burned through its wires once and took out the rear brake resevoir as as well. So... I assumed the probelm was electrical. the bike would just turn over and over and never catch. So check the spark, in the bright sun it looks weak but it is sparking for sure on at least one plug per cylinder. not that, maybe fuel related the plugs were dry when the came out, even after turning the bike over for long enough to flood it. open the floats and gas comes out. Hmmmm.... now I'm getting frusterated and hot in the early afternoon sun. not having had lunch yet was certianly not helping at all. Bess headed back to town on foot to pick up some egg sandwiches and I started over from the beginging:

Spark yes,
turn it over and the plugs are dry,
check the floats.... Ah ha now there is no fuel draining even when the bike is turning over.

time to realy get my hands dirty. off comes the fairings front and rear and the tank, heavy with 18 or so liters left, bust out the test light and sure enough the fuel pump is getting juice. take off the fuel line and see if the pump is creating any pressure, none that I can tell.... Damn the pump is way back behind the rear shock ressivoir.

OK now I know the probelm what next... there is no chance of a new pump here in Niger so this may be the end before it starts.

think, there has got to be a fix. a couple of empty pickups have passed I could load it up in one and take it to the shop dosso where I know the mechanic but they would probably mess it up more that fix it.

Oh good lunch is here. sit down and relax, take a few photos for posterity.

oh good the little bulb over my head has lit up. food fixes everything especialy when your as skinny as I am. I set the tank back in place and sure enough the fuel level was well above the foats since the tank was 3/4 full.

Time to tear out the offending pump while all the pannels and tank are already off. it was a pain but came out with the coersion of a tire iron. on the rubber mounts.

[ATTACH]69242[ATTACH]

Sorry I'm not on a computer where I can reupload and I can't figure out how to make the photo from the other thread show here too. But you can click above to see the offending part.

I set the tank back on and direct fed a fuel line to the carbs. Time to pray for rain as they say.

YES its back and running like a champ. bundle it back up and get the hell back to my friends for a shower and a well deserved beer.

On the way back to the house we stopped at the shop to see if there was some fuel pump from a car we could rig up so that the range was not cut in half by not being able to gravity feed the bottom half of the fuel tank.

sure enough there is a simmilar pump (also made by mitsubishi like the origional) that is slightly larger and 25,000 cfa (about 50 bucks) Ok now its realy time to go home. I want to figure this out soon so I can have the bike ready before dark to go to my village the next day.

my mechanic friend said something about a Vis Plat that needed scraping in a pump he fixed one time. I have no idea what he is talking about since my french is prety bad and Zarma (the local language I speak isn't exactly up to speed for mechanical conversations)

I got home and showerd and tore into the pump. sure enough there are some points that open and close to operate the diaphram pump and they are chared as all get out.

File them down and run out side and take the tank off again (this time its full to the 24 liter compacity) and plug the little bugger in. Away it went pumping its little heart out.

Darkness is comming and with it hoards of malaria ridden mosquitos

I try to race the setting sun to get it put back together so we can leave on time in the morning. Bad Idea, fatigue, frusteration, darkness and mosquitos do not a good work environment make. I gave it up and draped a sheet over it to keep the dust off in the night like a patient that has died on the surgical table.

Time for that way overdue beer. The stress is over the trip is still on I just have to get up with the first prayer call at 5:30 am so we can get on the road to my village before the sun gets to hot because once we make it up 20 KM of horible dirt road we have to walk another 3km through deep sand to get there. not a fun prospect under the noon sun in 110 degree heat.

This came from here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118889

cameron110 screwed with this post 04-02-2006 at 05:04 PM
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:29 PM   #14
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 445
When the voltage regulator quits working in Mexico. Made it home with a auto battery strapped to the rear rack and the head light bulb un-plugged.
Hennepinboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #15
Hennepinboy
Have battery will travel.

Oddometer: 445
Maybe the photos will attach this time.
Hennepinboy is online now   Reply With Quote