Carbon fiber tank cover.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by aklein318, Apr 7, 2015.

1. aklein318

aklein318 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've spent a lot of time researching various things for gas tank refinishing.

My verdict- NOTHING. There is absolutely nothing anyone has done with 100% success. The big problem is gas fumes empregnating the pores in the plastic. If this could be stopped, then sky is the limit.

Caswell sells a product they swear works. My findings is that it only works about 50% of the time on NEW tanks that've never seen gas.

Rit dye- this apparently works to make Yamaha blue, and white tanks black. Yellow tanks end up dark brown, red tanks end up dark plum, and I couldn't find anything on kawi tanks.

Next up is the fabric/vinyl/pleather tank covers on eBay... I said were trying to make the bike look good. Someone find be a fabric tank cover that LOOKS GOOD, and not gaudy, I'll buy it

Then---- I stumbled across the carbon fiber tank overlays from light speed....these are available for newer ('09+) MX bikes only, where only a small part is visible. Further research finds a few folks that have applied CF directly to their tanks, one of which has not been used, so that too may be an option, but I doubt it. I think it'll just delaminate and fall off.

So back to the CF skins.... This is something I can do. Not just for my tank, but others.

Obviously I've gotta guinea pig this first, but initial research, and my ability to do stuff, I think this is a go.

Basically it'll be a one piece cover that covers the top, sides, and wraps around the bottom and front. It'll have a hole in the top for the filler neck, as well as a hole in the spine for the seat stay. It will be removable, and held in place with thin Velcro, or for a more secure hold, 3m double sided tape. I'm pretty confident it'll stay in place, being that the tank its to be used on will be used as the mould. The skin could be cleared to hold the carbon fiber look, or painted to anyone's taste. Its a completely separate piece from the tank, therefore impervious to escaping fumes.

I think if it were to be painted, carbon fiber would still be the right choice, as it won't shatter in a bad crash.

Disclaimer- this post is to determine interest in such a product. If a good enough interest is seen, could be available for purchase, (at which time I'll be paying for a vendor's account here)

Preliminary cost estimates are around $150 plus shipping. It'd be one of those, send me your tank, and the dinero, and in whatever given time, I send you back your tank, tank skin, finished however you'd like. This would be a paintable surface, and could be finished with automotive grade paints impervious to fuels. Graphics can also be applied under the clear.

The process----- (more to come)

Also, before anyone says something silly about putting a brittle cover over a flexible tank, know this- this cover is certainly NOT brittle. Strong? Yes. Light? Bet your @$$. Brittle??? Not even close

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got more sanding and a final coat or two of 2-part urethane clear before its all said and done. The cover doesn't move on the tank at all, but I'm weighing my options to positively attach it to the tank. Velcro- meh . Double sided tape- maybe. I've got some other ideas too. Stay tuned
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Well done...
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!:clap
  4. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Shoot, I'm not even done yet folks.... Just wait.... I'll have some pics of the finished product hopefully Thursday or friday
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Sweet! :clap

Indeed a YAHTZEE
  6. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  7. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Don't kid yourself Ron, you know you want one for the DRZ.

PS. I never got pics of the plugs I sent ya!! ;-)
  8. aklein318

Oddometer:
    I cleared the tank cover today with 2-part urethane clear. (Same stuff they use on cars)
    [​IMG]

Into the gun
    [​IMG]

First coat went okay
    [​IMG]

Few runs, and sags
    [​IMG]

I blade out the runs and sags. It takes practice, and patience, but once you have the hang of it, it eliminates the need to block sand.

Wet sanding
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Second coat of clear... Like wet glass. ;-)
    [​IMG]

Sorry, poor lighting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done with that!!
  9. 9Realms

Oddometer:

Nice job. One of a kind certainly...

No issues with any of the foundation goo or your top coats here arguing with the decal-lettering?
    Perhaps you always run with the same clear product and have had good success that way?

Or is there a type of decal material or vinyl that gets along better than some once cleared over?

Thanks. I am interested in your process here. All good :deal
    Neat to know someone with pioneer spirit. I have been waiting to play with some CF.
    I have past experience with 'glass-- worked in body shops / painted-- in the 1970's.

I had hair.
    And could see my feet. :freaky

10. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that thing looks great! got any pics with it on the bike?
  11. shredxcam

shredxcam Cam

Oddometer:
    holy crap that was amazing
  12. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Okay, this "on the bike" pic was before sanding and clear. Nor was anything properly in place and bolted down. I had just got my plastics, and was anxious to see if the finished product had any chance of matching what I'd dreamed about the night I had to wash my sheets in the morning. Lol
    [​IMG]

The clear I use doesn't WANT to stick to vinyl graphics. Especially glossy ones. That was part of the reason I opted for the reflective material on these (aside from obvious reasons) as it is not glossy, but kind of has a textured matte finis . That said, after I applied the vinyl graphics, it got another coat of epoxy resin before final sanding, and then clear. So whether or not the clear sticks well to these vinyls is a mute point, as its the epoxy resin doing the work there. It seems to be holding pretty well though. ;-)
    [​IMG]
  13. aklein318

Oddometer:
    If anyone tries this themselves, just stay away from using "fiberglass" resin, which is actually called POLYESTER resin. It sets up WAY too fast.

Carbon fiber material (especially the more exotic weaves) are REALLY cool. It does things your mind can't wrap around at first. The way it moves and contours and stuff. Its really cool
  14. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Does the CF resin sand any easier than 'glass resin?

:1drink

I been anxious to try a fender wrap or a side panel, etc., and
    would be perfectly happy with a matte finish even.
  15. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I want one, just like this (matte finish), for my 2002 XR250R! :thumb
  16. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No such thing really as cf resin. You can pretty much use any resin with any fiber, there are a few exceptions such as the fiberglass cloth designed to be used with plaster. Most people have made the switch to epoxy resin for several reasons, less heat distortion, lower shrinkage, higher strength, less toxic, faster layup schedules. the down side is 2x the cost but if the part is worth spending the $$ for cf then cost of resin isn't mush of an issue. For paying around in your garage, epoxy resin is so much less toxic that it really is the smart choice.
  17. aklein318

Oddometer:
    The epoxy resin sands pretty easily. Being that your familiar with body work I'd compare the differences to bonbo vs metal glaze. That applies to its workability as well.
  18. aklein318

Oddometer:

very well said
  19. aklein318

Oddometer:
    Today---
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. bigalsmith101

bigalsmith101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me thinks you'll have some business in the future. Nice! Too bad I don't need a tank cover for any of our scooters!