Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Daniel Boone National Forest

This is part 1 of my RR of the Daniel Boone Forest. I had hoped to ride all of a section of the Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail but turned back fearing flats, getting lost, or any of the other things that happen when you really are unprepared.
Part 2 will include me completing that section and exploring more of the DBNF.
These are some of the pictures I took, and I will add more tomorrow. Captions too will follow...

Dan

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/shel_trl.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/index.shtml

This is what you see as you approach the Red River Gorge Area going west on the Mountain Parkway.

Here I have pulled off to get a few shots of the Nada Tunnel. I must say going through the Tunnel with the Husky's Poor Lighting was a bit unnerving, luckily there was a vehicle behind me cause I could barely see...

This is after I have gone through as I didn't think to stop on the other side; somehow saving some things for the reader to discover is appealing if the RR inspires a trip...I consciously didn't take certain pics.

Can you see my amatuer photoshop skills?

I like how the focus turned out on this one, the clarity lies beyond, at the end...

The Gorge is a Beautiful area as 12Bridn points out later but I would suggest going on a weekday if possible and please don't take your Harley ...

Had to act quick to get this one...

This curve was a real challenge and be ready for it comes right after going through the tunnel, I had to do it twice ...

The Bridge. That road beyond to the left is gravel and I would tell you a story about it but I could go to Jail...what is the Statute of Limitations again?

Boogered this one but I think I got most of it...

I am a builder by trade and have done some restoration. I now build Custom Modern Homes. I will reserve my soapbox time and just say I am Nostalgic for another time...

I took two camperas, a 2meg digital and my Nikon, well I think some of these pics are a bit outa order , sorry for that. Next time it's either better film for the Nikon or a better Digital Camera...

This is Skybridge from the Observation Trail. You can drive part of the way back and there is a Handicap space. I took the space marked For Husky's Only ...

Notice the Scale of the People?

There are I think around 140 Arches in the Gorge. I didn't get any pics so you will have to come see for yourself ...

I basically drove the scenic loop and took a few diversions. You can hike out to Chimney Top Rock and I think Half Moon Arch from this Route. They are both worth seeing. Natural Bridge is impressive and you can take a tram up to it or hike...there really is a lot to see here and you should give yourself a few days at the least. The Lodge serves some good food as well as Miquels if you are in the mood for Pizza...

This is the start of the offroad portion of the Sheltowee Trail. I didn't have a good map and it looked like the road followed the trail so I figured why not...it wasn't marked very well.

This is as far as I got, I didn't have armor, patches or levers, phone reception, or a good map, so I did the wise thing and turned around. I heard some ATV's behind me and they never came my way so I figured I was either lost or soon to be ...

Heading back to Miguels where I had parked my Tacoma, I love the formations here, the scale of things...back in the 70's I think there was talk of daming the area and making a lake, needless to say people freaked and were up in arms, Thankgoodness for those people.

I ate Lunch here before I rode...

If you eat here don't slam the door please ...

I ate dinner here when I got back, the Pizza was so good, oh, and the Women weren't bad to look at either...
I even got them to make mine special, the nice Lady said "thats a first"

Can't wait to go back and will learn every nook and crany of the place now that I have my very own Husky and I hope to see some of you out there...

Dan

buffallodan screwed with this post 07-03-2006 at 07:11 PM
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote