Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #1801
modrover OP
BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer: 3,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley
I picked them up last year about three months apart, the 94 in August and the 91 in November. The 94 was in Orange Co. CA and the 91 out of Oregon as a parts bike. Here's a pic of the 91 after I had it repainted.

It's so yellow even ATGreg in Australia can see it.

Jim.
OoooOOOoooo... very nice buddyboy!

And a bump... for all the new folks checking in to this site that have yet to see the wonders of wrenching on these ahead-of-their-time machines
Washougal, WA USA
modrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #1802
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
SuperTrap Vs ProDuro

Just in time for my 31st birthday, the welds on my venerable supertrapp decided to fail, which meant I could justify a shiny new Laser ProDuro Sport!

If you look closely, that dark line under the weld is where the weld failed and tore a hole into the pipe.

Here's how they seem to compare:

The supertrapp is clearly made for the transalp, while the produro is more of a modular system. The nice thing about the produro is that it's available, but it's mounting system, welds, and complexity are less 'elegant' than the supertrapp. It also weights 2.75 lbs more (of course I would do well to lose 20lbs, so I won't quibble over weight).

The supertrapp when installed many years ago, fit flawlessly. The produro needed some headscratching, coaxing and frowning at, before it fit. That said, the produro won't be relying on welds in thin sheet metal to stay attached to the bike. The supertrapp failed where the mounting tab was welded to the can.

The supertrapp can be adjusted (via discs) to come up with a good jetting solution if the bike has been extensively modifed (as mine has). So after weeks of setup, it ran for years with a idealized combination of discs, k&n cone filters, ported/polished head, big jets, and lots of power, for a TA. With the ProDuro, while it's still running strong it smells too rich.

Sound: Almost identical, except the ProDuro is slightly mellower, slightly softer. I've got an mp3 of both pipes recorded exactly the same way (mic is the 15' to the side of the bike) for comparison. However the deep thumping was a bit much for my iriver's mic so the sound is slightly distorted. If I could figure out where to host the file I'd post it. If you'd like to hear it, I'd be happy to email to anyone who asks.
At speed, again the sound is slightly mellower/deeper with the produro, but also at speed there's a lot of racket from the induction side with the K&Ns which tends to mask differences. If you put me on the bike blindfolded and helmeted it might be tough to tell which pipe was on the bike. It's easier to tell with 'bare' ears.

The produro doesn't under the framework of my kustom Bruce Gordon(tm) rack. Poop. Taking the rack off certainly made up for the increased weight of the new pipe.

Here's the rack with the Supertrapp.

Good points? The produro looks sweet, sounds good, and won't melt my taillight/rearfender/turnsignal like the supertrapp did. Unfortunately, the supertrapp already melted those so it still looks skanky.

gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #1803
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 331
Supertrapp

Gofargogo, would you like to recoup some of the cost of your Produro by selling me your Supertrapp? Thanks, Doug
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #1804
blue_birdxx
Bomberly

Oddometer: 14
Thumb Hey Alpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpo
It would seem that Honda is content to let the XR650L fill the Dual Sport hole in their North American line-up, if you believe what "official" information is out there. But I'll see if I can come up with some more substantial information next week, I'm on holiday till Monday. What could I possibly find out? Well, let's just say that while I don't specifically work for a motorcycle division, I do collect a annual salary from a certain corporation sporting a winged logo.
Have you managed to use your unofficial contacts to find out any info on the 2007 model? I'm interested in the idea that the new Deauville 680 fuel injected engine may be used. I cant wait to see the styling also ( thats if there is a change).
blue_birdxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #1805
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Doug-
You did see that both welds holding the hanging-tab have failed, right? And the failure means that there are two long holes in the can itself (you can see where the exhaust gases have escaped in the close up photo). If that doesnt faze you, then yes Id consider selling it. Where in Michigan are you?

-Scott

gofargogo screwed with this post 08-29-2006 at 08:58 AM
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 AM   #1806
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,382
Center Stand XL600V Transalp USA model

Hi there! Newcomer here!
I don't know if someone had mentioned it, but the center stand shown in the thread (further down)looks much like my 1973 Honda CL350 stand. Vintage Hondas had two stands and this one looks pretty much like it. I'll measure it and get back to you all, so that someone checks it and see if it might fit!

I just bought a Transalp, with 14k miles 2 weeks ago and it is still in the mainland. I'll keep it for a year or two to do some riding and then bring it down.
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:37 AM   #1807
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,382
USA model Transalp

Here is a picture of my CL350 center stand. Looks like the one posted before.
Attached Images

locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #1808
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 331
Supertrapp

Gofargogo, sent you a PM
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #1809
eljefeinorbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15

New to this site and the transalp fam! My beauty has a sickness right now. It randomly shuts down to half power. Dismantled it the other day and figured the front two plugs weren't getting fire. Figured it's the coil or ECM. Any body dealt with this prob. before? Easy does it!
this is my beast that i am considering selling!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/186668296.html
eljefeinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:12 PM   #1810
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefeinorbit
New to this site and the transalp fam! My beauty has a sickness right now. It randomly shuts down to half power. Dismantled it the other day and figured the front two plugs weren't getting fire. Figured it's the coil or ECM. Any body dealt with this prob. before? Easy does it!
this is my beast that i am considering selling!
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/186668296.html
This was happening with the one I just bought. Cut to half power. Replaced the right side CDI, and replaced the CDI holder with the 94+ CDI holder and haven't had a problem since. Supposedly the easy way to tell is if the Tach cuts out at the same time it goes to half power, it's the left CDI. If it does not cut out it's the Right CDI. It's an easy fix. for about a hundred bucks for new CDI and CDI holder.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:06 PM   #1811
eljefeinorbit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
cheers!

Did you get the new unit at the dealer? Not sure if it's worth shopping for a used one. The tach does is not bothered, I heard that before as well. Thanks again for the input! Ride on, rider!

sorry had to utilize these stupid dancin mofos.

eljefeinorbit screwed with this post 08-29-2006 at 04:15 PM
eljefeinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #1812
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,536
if you still like the bike dont sell it. i know it can be frustrating but bear with it.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:02 AM   #1813
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php

Quote:
Part NumberQuantityDescriptionList PriceYour Price!
30410-MS8-610 1 MODULE, IGN CONT $ 122.44 $ 89.56
30401-MM9-010 1 CUSHION $ 12.42 $ 9.43
Total (Excluding Taxes and Shipping)

$ 134.86

$ 98.99

Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #1814
Zonkelnut
King in the land of Zonk.

Oddometer: 32
And here is my baby. Fully loaded. 30l petrol, 10l water, spares, sleeping stuff and food for 10 days.

Zonkelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:57 AM   #1815
Zonkelnut
King in the land of Zonk.

Oddometer: 32
Then I met this guy from Germany down in Namibia. A TA with a 40l tank and some other goodies.

Zonkelnut is offline   Reply With Quote