Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Why Clean Your Bike

Now I would not say that I am Mr. Clean. (leave him alone YFF!) I understand how easy it is to let cleaning slide; you could be riding right? Or how about a siesta in the hammock... it doesn't seem as important as chain tensioning or other periodic maintenance, but that is a mistake.

Why? Because cleaning your bike, and I mean thoroughly - get down on your hands and knees and try to get into all those places your fingers can't quite push the rag, or start disassembling until you can - like I was typing, a good cleaning will force you to thoroughly inspect your bike and you will see things that you would not ordinarily notice. Not only that, but a clean bike is much easier to check than a dirty one. Your detection rate will improve, once all that dirt is out of the way.

Here is my example, and start of a search for information on a potential issue. I was down on my knees, when I noticed what looked like oil spray directly behind my kick starter shaft. I got curious and layed down on my back and found this:

See it? No? OK, how about a crop:

Yes, a drop of oil hanging from the bottom of my kick starter.

So now, that I know there is a potential issue - leaking kick starter seal? - I can do something about it. If I had not been down there cleaning my bike I might have ended up with a bigger problem, which usually happens in BFE.

Oh yeah, in case you didn't notice, I am soliciting information on potential sources of that leak. I would think that the kick starter shaft is a likely culprit, so I cleaned it up thoroughly in order to monitor it.

Here is the assembly:

Two seals are listed:

Item #: 0760223270
SHAFT SEAL RING 22X32X7 BSL
Quanity On Diagram: 1
Cost Each: $7.25

Item #: 58038022000
CU-SEAL RING DIN7603-12X18X1,5
Quanity On Diagram: 1
Cost Each: $1.50

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote