ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
1st time dirt ride in CO/NM or TN/KY

Hey gang, I'm looking for a little help to locate riding spots in CO or NM. My cousin and I are planning to head that way from SW Louisiana in a couple of weeks. Neither one of us has dual sport bikes (Me = KTM 450 EXC, Dustin = Yamaha YZF 250) so we'll need to stay offroad wherever we are at. We'll probably stay for 3-4 days. We're in between CO/NM or TN/KY, so I'm trying to get a little feed back. We are both experienced riders, but most our riding has been in tight woods, with only a limited amount of rock riding experience which was in Arkansas, but we're willing to tackle most anything.

Thanks in advance for the help
Paul
PaulyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
PaulyMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Come on guys, there's got to be someone who can give me some ideas
PaulyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Read some ride reports from those areas and pick your poison. The biggest difference besides terrain/scenery this time of year will be weather. CO/NM will have some cold mornings and higher passes will be chilly, so be prepared if you go out there. TN/KY will be in the 70s-80s with overnight lows in the 50s. Have fun.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,105
try here

Taylor Park - near altmont north of Gunnison. Off-road mecca.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,009
East Tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyMan
Come on guys, there's got to be someone who can give me some ideas
Well in east Tn. there is the cherokee natl forest in the Tellico Plains area. There is some pay/day use trails. There are also miles and miles of F/S roads in and thru the mountains. Get a forest service map for roads in the area. There is also Coal Creek/Windrock Mtn pay/OHV area over by Oliver Springs you can pull it up with a google search. There is probably as much riding as you care to do around here street or dirt within an hour or so drive.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
DNFjoe
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Tn/ky

Paul,

If you find youself in the TN/KY area check out the land between the lakes.

It is a beautiful place with an ORV area to have fun in.

My wife and I visited there and you can see our trip here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=DNFjoe

I am a very novice rider and had fun for 3-4 hours in the ORV area. Plated bikes can tool around the other dirt roads that turn off the main road through the area.

If you are looking for many days of dirt riding this may not be the place for you, but with so much nature to enjoy there is plenty of fun to be had for sure.

If you hit this area Lake Barkley State park/resort is only minutes away and was only $60 a night (off season with a military discount) for a better than aveage place to stay.

No matter where you go take some pix and post'em in the ride report area so the rest of us can enjoy your trip too!

Joe