ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #1
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,445
DC to Lynchburg

Steverino, Poonie, et al.

How long should I schedule for this trip, leaving tomorrow a.m.?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 07:47 AM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
Not long. Traffic will be in your favor in the AM, from DC, quickest and least painful route is to head down I95 to VA 3 and over to VA 20 and down via Orange and Gordonsville to C'ville, bop on I64 on the east side of C'ville for a couple miles and get off on 29 south and off you go.

180 miles, 3.5 hours or less. Add an hour or more depending on how much fun you want to have if you stay on I64 and go up to the BRP and then take 501 into Lynchburg.

Edit: of course there is always Dyke and the back way into Crozet

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,663
Sorry you can't get there from where you are.

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Not long. Traffic will be in your favor in the AM, from DC, quickest and least painful route is to head down I95 to VA 3 and over to VA 20 and down via Orange and Gordonsville to C'ville, bop on I64 on the east side of C'ville for a couple miles and get off on 29 south and off you go.

180 miles, 3.5 hours or less. Add an hour or more depending on how much fun you want to have if you stay on I64 and go up to the BRP and then take 501 into Lynchburg.

Thanks... exactly what I needed to know. I'm going to try hang-gliding at a place down that way...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Sorry you can't get there from where you are.
Cont get thar from from har.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace

It's exactly 200 miles from my house to downtown Lynchburg. The best section is between Gordonsville and C'ville. Beautiful stretch of road.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Jarvis OP
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
It's exactly 200 miles from my house to downtown Lynchburg. The best section is between Gordonsville and C'ville. Beautiful stretch of road.
At which of those 200 miles between your house and Lynchburg am I most likely to be car-jacked?

Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
At which of those 200 miles between your house and Lynchburg am I most likely to be car-jacked?

Oh, I'd say the first 6 or 7. After that you just have to watch out for the VA PoPo.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #9
JohnnyBee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
If you come down Rt 29 all the way, slow down in Greene and Madison County - there are usually one or two State Police waiting in the median for speeders. Also the legal speed limit varies from 55 to 60 in a random fashion.

JB
JohnnyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBee
If you come down Rt 29 all the way, slow down in Greene and Madison County - there are usually one or two State Police waiting in the median for speeders. Also the legal speed limit varies from 55 to 60 in a random fashion.

JB
Also the Green Cty Sheriff likes to hang out near one of the gas stations on the west side of the road, caught him there twice eating donuts or something.

64mph is safe as hell, even faster. Limit on 29 is 60 until you hit Amherst, then it goes to 65 all the way to 460. I've been known to average 70 or so the whole way. This is from an early AM ride back from Steve's.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote