ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
smokediver576 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
NE Georgia Road Question

Does anyone have any intel about the roads north of Highway 2 (Chatsworth Highway/Ft Mountain)? Looking at the roads in my GPS Mapsource software and I cannot tell if they are open or closed. Roads like Conasauga, CCC Camp, West Cow Pen. Looking for good DS roads similar to the Bull Mountain area. Nothing to crazy.

Thanks,
Andrew & Heather
smokediver576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
No definite info from me concernning these particular roads, but I will tell you that in GA most of the forest svc roads are open this time of year, and closed in winter. 'pm' GaDualSportWanabe (or something like that)...he knows killer roads.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokediver576
Does anyone have any intel about the roads north of Highway 2 (Chatsworth Highway/Ft Mountain)? Looking at the roads in my GPS Mapsource software and I cannot tell if they are open or closed. Roads like Conasauga, CCC Camp, West Cow Pen. Looking for good DS roads similar to the Bull Mountain area. Nothing to crazy.

Thanks,
Andrew & Heather

That would be NW ga and yes those roads should all be open. I've never know them to be closed as a matter of fact but some like Fullmonte, Gam, or Gadualsportwannabe will be able to help you more so than me.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
smokediver576 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
That would be NW ga and yes those roads should all be open. I've never know them to be closed as a matter of fact but some like Fullmonte, Gam, or Gadualsportwannabe will be able to help you more so than me.
Thanks. I guess I always think of Ellijay as North East GA and areas like Chatsworth, Dalton, Rome as NW GA. Guess that's why I use a GPS

Thanks again for the help!

Awall
Old 09-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
A nice loop would be heading up West Cow Pen Rd., taking a right on Old GA 2, bear right on Peavine,Sheeds Creek Rd, turn right on Peavine Rd., and then turn right onto Tumbling Creek Rd. (The best Rd in the area IMHO)
Bear right at Dyers Gap, then left at East Cow Pen.
Turn left on Conasauga Rd. which turns into Old CCC Camp Rd.
Enjoy the ride.
bman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:07 AM   #6
smokediver576 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
A nice loop would be heading up West Cow Pen Rd., taking a right on Old GA 2, bear right on Peavine,Sheeds Creek Rd, turn right on Peavine Rd., and then turn right onto Tumbling Creek Rd. (The best Rd in the area IMHO)
Bear right at Dyers Gap, then left at East Cow Pen.
Turn left on Conasauga Rd. which turns into Old CCC Camp Rd.
Enjoy the ride.
Now that's the kind of intel I'm talkin about!

Thanks for the info.

Awall
Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 AM   #7
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
They close access to fs 64 ( the part along the ridge..lake conasauga, potato patch mtn) around the end of December, so many cars used to slide off the road up there. Back in the day they didn't close those gates, we used to ride around up there with a six pack and a "come along" dragging people back on to the road. Southern entertainment at it's best.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote