Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2006, 04:18 AM   #1
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,342
Laugh Olddogs 660 Rallye Rebuild

G’day Everyone,
A few weeks ago I had the questionable good fortune of picking up a ’99 KTM 660 Rallye, thought you guys might be interested in seeing it's rebuild. To the best of my knowledge this bike was raced in 2 Paris – Dakar’s and was raced here in the Australian Safari by Tim Fitzhardinge and then several times by Craig Hartley, heres some pics of him in action

It's 1 of 3 660 Rallye’s in Australia which has compliance for road registration. Craig sold the bike to Shane Martin (aka Leglessone) earlier this year, heres a pic

he in turn sold it on to me. For whatever reason, the bike has suffered some reliability issues recently and I picked the thing up in several large lumps and several boxes full of small pieces, queue more pics

After close inspection I decided to strip the bike right down and start again, replacing any bits required.

After disassembly the first thing I did was get some cans of crack test and go over the welds and joints on the frame and swing arm, all clear! Then the axles, gearbox shafts, swing arm pivots and triple clamps, all clear! Then I used a string line on the frame and again with the swing arm installed, plus checked the swing arm was true, those were all clear as well. Given that this bike would have copped a fair hiding from all those race miles I’m impressed that something isn’t bent. I noticed it’s had a hit in the front taking off the radiator mounts which were then welded back on but not painted so there was some rust there, also some rust inside the front frame brace as the drain holes were blocked, I’ve treated that. After a quick bead blast it’s received a few coats of some flash grey epoxy 2 pack wonder paint that a mate uses on mining equipment, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t the same shade of grey but what the hell it looks ok and the finish is tough. another pic or 2...

So far i can see that it needs a new main wiring harness and a new suspension linkage. The harness is just old and a new one will make sure I don’t get any unexpected “surprises” The pin in the suspension linkage where it bolts to the swing arm was frozen due to worn out bearings….or so I thought, turns out the bore is stretched out of round, possibly due to a hard landing (?) anyway, Pezz the Rallye Guru happens to have a spare which saves me trying to source an “out of stock” part. Thanks mate

The engine is in a bad way, the big end failed taking out the crank pin, conrod, piston and barrel. The scours in the barrel go deep so I dunno if it’s reusable although now that I think of it…. Pezz mentioned a 105mm piston kit :-0 so it may live again MMmmmmm big block!! Never mind though, it comes with a new barrel/rod/piston assembly ready to go in. There was an impressive amount of debris right through the motor so while it’s in bits I’ll replace all the bearings that would have been affected. I pretty impressed with this thing, it was still going strong despite the busted bottom end and still fired straight up, made a horrible racket though! The only other issue I can see so far is the gears in the gearbox, looks to me like 6 of the 10 gears have pitting, some of it pretty bad. Once I’ve saved up the $$$ for those puppies I’ll be able to get the engine nailed together and have the beast back on the road……errr tracks and see just what this things made of, well to the best of my ability I guess I can’t see myself racing it so it will live a life of relative semi retirement, being mainly used to take me to those hard to get to places that I won’t take the GS, after my last accident that bike stays on the road or good dirt.

“Yesterday afternoon I was planning to ride Dakar, this morning I was planning to throw up in my helmet” - Boris Mihailovich

OldDog screwed with this post 11-10-2006 at 04:24 AM
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote