User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
rogerdodger OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Every journey must start with the first step.

Now just a couple of days away before the beginning of my adventure and I too must take that first step. I find my self thinking. Wait a minute. I like my warm bed in the morning. I like coming home to my little house. I like having all my things around me that bring me comfort and ease my daily routine.

Sure I have the excitement of the journey, with all the things to see and experiences to be had. But after traveling all through my 20's I know the reality of it too. Never having a place to lay out your things in comfort, always wondering where you"ll sleep from one day to the next. If you leave your things somewhere, will they be there when you come back? Maybe Im just a worrier? I didnt get this grey hair in my early 20's for nothing.

So what the hell am I thinking of to be leaving my little comfort zone? That first step is starting to feel like a huge leap, a jump or maybe plummet into the unknown. Originally I bought my bike for this one journey, to test myself and see if I still had the adventurous spirit in me. To see if i could hack the trials and tribulations of life on the road.

If I was selling up everything and leaving for good then it might be easier. After all thats what I use to do all the time. Move every 6 months and go traveling. Leave and never look back. Back packing with my life in my pack. But is been 15 years since I lead that life and now I'm really finding it hard to leave.

I've motorcycled for years, but only once did I pack a few things and go camp for the night. This time I plan to go for a month and be as self sufficient as possible with tent and camping stove and everything else that I might need for a month long trip. Shit Im only going from Georgia to Florida. Its not like im going to the middle of nowhere and cant buy what I need on the road. Even so, Ive packed and then re packed, packed then re packed again and I still seem to have too much stuff, but feel like Ive forgotten everything important.

Ok well lets stop whining and get this show on the road.

Here's a packing attempt. Still needs a few tweeks to be sure. Ive packed a few things that other might not have. A wet suit and googles and my running shoes. For the last couple of years Ive been doing triathlons and I dont see why I need to stop training while im away on my trip. Plus I have a marathon to run in March so I really cant stop training right now.

I bought the bike used and the tires were worn flat. I really wanted the Torances on her too, so on Saturday morning with the temp at 28 degrees I bundled up and headed out to the bike shop.

First dumb ass mistake. I came home with my new rubber. i was so bundled up that I couldnt move too well on the bike. I had to do a 5 or 6 or 7 point turn in my back yard to be able to put her away. In the process i missplaced my foot and down I went. HAvent done that in years. After reading about these bikes, I dont know how you guys ride in the dirt and can haul them around. I tried and tried to pick her up. I was getting so pissed knowing it was a dumb mistake and now with the bike laying in a combination of dirt and gravel it was probably scratching the hell out of the engine cover and who knows what else. I just couldnt get down under the bike enough to get a grip and lift. I could feel my legs and ass muscles straining and knew I wasnt doing my self much good. Finally I gave it one last try by holding more at the subfame at the back where I could grip better and get more leaverage and up she came. Not too bad damage and the engine cover already had scratches from the previous owner doing the exact same thing.

Ok bike loaded and ready to head out in the morning, or possibly Tuesday.

rogerdodger screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 06:30 AM
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote