User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Louisiana Outback Trail

For those of you who remember, I "ceased to spend my resources to continue the trail"... well, I'm back at it...
This time, I am trying to route up to Arkansas and the Trans America Trail. This information, instead of being the stingey bastige like I used to be, will be posted on ADVrider.

For those of you who are new to ADVrider, check this out. I have assembled a route that I orignally planned to circle Louisiana. I gave up on it for a little while, but have decided to continue working on it. The route extends (so far) from Leesville, La to Shreveport, La. Covering some 170 miles of dirt roads, trails. I will include in the route info different loops which are interesting, bypasses, POIs, campgrounds, and the things mentioned below.

I will post the routes in .gpx and .gdp formats. I will try to include gas and food waypoints. On here, I will also include the better restaurants to visit, as well as locations of motorcycle shops just in case.

All I ask in return for posting the routes, is that if you do ride the route, to post pictures here or a link to your ride report. Does this seem fair?

FOR SOME REASON, I have lost all of my route info, except the northern portion which I just rode.

Here is a pic to wet your appettite

LaOutbackTrail screwed with this post 07-17-2008 at 04:05 PM
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,360

Keep up the good work man Keep us in the loop with maps and what not too!

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Looks good so far, keep up the good work.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Metal Doc
Duc addicted

Oddometer: 1,446
Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #5
dutch peter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Laugh

Well it has been two years or so since I have been down that way, however this seems like an excellent reason to come back.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
I love LaLa Land.

Love NOLA too ... spent a week there one night.

Closest 3rd world country to us and they "almost" speak English.

I was married to a girl from Jeanerette for a while and always enjoyed the back roads there, alas, never on a bike.

Spent a two week honeymoon rambling about the state with another X, but that is a different story.

Please, please continue and be sure and post your "route". I have a buddy in the Raceland area with a DS bike that I need to con out onto the open road.

we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,300
Lookin' good.. for a minute I thought you were referring the Australian outback and thought maybe Katrina had blown it there!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
I.P. Freely
Ragin Cajun

Oddometer: 430
Keep the pics coming, and post up the routes that you take. I use to live in Lafayette and would ride dirtbikes in Forest Hills, Red Dirt, and Cravens. I've recently switched to dual sporting and would love to ride down there if I ever move back or visit family.
IBA Member #30237
I.P. Freely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
I'm continually amazed by the quality of these Louisiana ride reports. My only exposure to LA was driving through it on the way to Houston. I'll add it to my list of places to ride!

Thanks for taking the time to share!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,301
Eek We gotta hook up

Man I am going to save this thread and give you a bump next time I am over that way. My In-Laws live in Anacoco, and I am always looking for some riding when over there.

2008 BMW R1200GSA Mary Jane
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
I like the new update format. It Looks great.
It makes me want to get out and start on the piece up here around Shreveport.

To those watching this project, we have routes up into Shreveport via Frierson, but the specifics are still being honed.

Also, we're working on a suitable route around Shreveport that showcases this corner of the state and then connects through the swamp trails of Bodcau and the piney hills of Claiborne and into Ruston. That's next on the to-explore list anyway.

I'm thinking the route should bypass in-town Shreveport, but have a spur that goes into town for those that want to use it as a stop. Maybe do a bit of a where to eat and stay in Shreveport if one is so inclined.

If it were me.. I'd keep riding and go camp at the Bodcau WMA or Lincoln Parish park.. But we've got to find you a route to get there first.. now don't we?

Stay tuned.

Also stay tuned for a possible website that updates progress and eventually has a way for folks to order maps and GPS info, if they're so inclined!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
badgerx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
MAP me

Man I'm here in Lafayette, LA and have been doing a little exploring around here, but would love to venture out more. Can you post a couple of maps here?
badgerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #13
BDR1
YAMAHA

Oddometer: 397
this looks like a fun summer trip.....
BDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerx
Man I'm here in Lafayette, LA and have been doing a little exploring around here, but would love to venture out more. Can you post a couple of maps here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh007
Also stay tuned for a possible website that updates progress and eventually has a way for folks to order maps and GPS info, if they're so inclined!

I will be working on it during my coming spring break. Should be able to get North Louisiana and most of East La. My problem is going to be the eastern portion from the Jonesville area south.... a bunch of long straight flat roads....

LaOutbackTrail screwed with this post 02-24-2007 at 07:30 AM
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
Adh007
Needs to get back to work

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaOutbackTrail
My problem is going to be the eastern portion from the Jonesville area south.... a bunch of long straight flat roads....
I'm thinking that it's Louisiana... it is what it is, and that this trail should capture that, and if you're in the Mississippi Valley Alluvial plain and on into the Delta, then you're in the flat, fertile, rural heart of Louisiana. The home of the delta blues and all that famous food. It might be long and flat, but it has it's own scenic character and beauty.

Sometimes there's something very "Huck Finn Zen" about a long, straight, lonely, stretch of gravel or dirt that meanders along the Mighty Mississippi. While it may not be as exciting as clipping apexes along the old moonshine routes found in the north. If that's what touring the eastern portion of the state has to offer then that's what the trail should be.

34. Western Gulf Coastal Plain
35. South Central Plains
65. Southeastern Plains
73. Mississippi Alluvail Plains
74. Mississippi Valley Loess Plains
75. Southern Coastal Plain

Thoughts?

My first thought is I just started teaching 8th grade Louisiana history yesterday and It's already getting to me.