ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
CMWoody OP
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Easy Garmin Mapsource Routing for N00bs (Tutorial)

Mapsource is cumbersome... Auto-routing doesn't always take you where you want to go so... How do we tell it where we want to go?

Since this is a pretty frequently asked question around here, I figured I'd share my method with you FF's. This is the quickest way I've found to set it up right.

First, You plug in your start and finish points using the Route Tool on Mapsource.

An Example... Red Mesa to Hurricane
First click on Red Mesa, then click on Hurricane.

The screen will spit out this.
Note: I'm using towns already easily visable. If you want to go from a specific location... simply zoom in and find it or use "FIND" and mark it as a waypoint first.

Trouble with this route is that I really wanted to take the north route around Lake Powell. Question is, how do we make it route us that way?

Simple as using the Selection Tool, the little arrow, and clicking on the route. First click will turn it Yellow, next click will draw a line from start to end that bends with the pointer. Drag it to a place on the way of your preferred route and click.

It'll autoroute again...

OK, thats close to where I want to go... repeat until you have it.

Note: Added Escalante...look for the green dot along the route.

There, thats the route I wanted to take. Transfer it to your GPS and turn it on from the Route File. Do Not let the GPS recalculate this route for you...It'll generally offer.

Cheers

Bet theres a lot of N00bs who didn't know they could do this.

Download the attached route to your My Garmin folder... I actually have a sub-folder "Routes" inside there...

Open...

You've updated to the latest Mapsource right? Click View, then the last selection, "View in Google Earth"... You have that installed on your puter too right? [geek]

In GE, Tools...Play Tour...

Ridin' the Dragon, who..hoo..

CMWoody screwed with this post 12-21-2007 at 04:07 PM