Ducati Elephant

Anybody ridden one??
jimjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:04 AM   #2
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Oddometer: 1,317
Duc Elefant

Your fearless leader, FISH, just called me over from another list we're on to answer this thread. I've been meaning to join the board, but never got a round tuit till now.

I've got an Elefant that I just picked up a few months ago.

Good power but not so good carburetion at partial throttle (but I'm working on that). The bike has good leverage on the bars for easy handling on all kinds of roads. Susupension is nice for eating pot holes, but the rear Boge shocks don't last long. I've got an Ohlins for it, but I need another round tuit before I put it on.

Seat is comfy, fairing protective enough. I've got no hard bags yet, but I'm told GIVI makes stuff that'll fit. My aftermarket muffler precludes mounting soft luggage since it'll rest right on the pipe.

The bike is a blast to ride, with a lot more hooligan factor than the BMW touring bike it replaced in my garage. In the three months I've had it, I've yet to take it off road.

Earlier model (late 80's) 650s and maybe 750s had the higher-end Ohlins suspension as stock items, but then you also have less power. I guess it matters what you want most.

What else do you want to know?
Old 10-30-2001, 11:27 AM   #3
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Where's the Elefant?

While on thre subject of Elefants, why ain't there any listed and shown in the "official" list of Adventure bikes for this board??:mad:
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2001, 11:31 AM   #4
cyclecat
half post a day wonder

Wink Ducati Elefant

Anyone here got a Duc Elefant besides me?
Old 10-30-2001, 03:39 PM   #5
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
I shot one in my pajamas.
How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:40 AM   #6
Baldy
Site Owner

Oddometer: 8,900
Re: Where's the Elefant?

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclecat
While on thre subject of Elefants, why ain't there any listed and shown in the "official" list of Adventure bikes for this board??:mad:
Hey CycleCat,

The Elefant's a great bike, I love it, but I kept the adventure bike list down to new bikes you could buy at a dealer today.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:22 AM   #7
Easy life
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Elefant anyone????

I've got an Elefant.Last model 900 Lucky Explorer.Pain in the arse to get bits for over here,I knocked an indicator and a mirror off last year but the so-called dealers can't seem to find me the bits.A friend has one exactly the same,bought on the same day so we look a right couple of gonks out riding together.Great to ride though,good on petrol,did about 250 miles in one day a couple of times with only 2 short stops for fill-ups so it's quite a mile-muncher.That cat. gets warm though,need an aftermarket exhaust 'cos I reckon that'll be expensive to replace when it does finally pack in.
Anyone in UK know of places to buy spares would be more than welcome to drop me a mail or let me know on here.
Easy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 AM   #8
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
I've ridden two

First one a test ride on a 650. Passed on it because at the time I needed a two-up, and it just wasn't big enough for that. Awesome bike. Smooth, powerful, crazy good suspension. Felt very light on dirt though it wasn't, felt very big on the road though it wasn't. I liked it very much.

Second one was one a pal had for a while. Blue one like cyclecat's. Couldn't find a front fender to replace the broken one. Couldn't find parts at all. Hard to prime the fuel pump after he ran it dry. Cam sprocket spun and toasted one cyl on a trip to Arkansas, traded it for an XR650L on the spot. But the bike was a gas to ride. Like any Duc, it kicked ass on pavement. Worked great on dirt, though it was incredibly wide at the knees and feet. Fit and finish were pretty bad. Supertrapp pipe was a nuisance. Aftermarket alu bars were much better than stock. We really liked the bike, but it blew up. Damn. Not sure those years were Ducati's best, er, Cagiva's best. Er...well, to sum it up, a real love/hate thing.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:22 PM   #9
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
I havn't ridden one,but once when 2 GS riders were helping me push my XLV750 up a very rutted slippery clay hill (after we pushed both theirs up),a Cagiva Elephant launched itself off the bridge,hit the huge rut in front of us and sent up a 20ft rooster tail as it blasted up the hill.Obviously the guy doesn't know how to ride an adventure bike,otherwise he would of got off and pushed it up like we did.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally posted by motupaika
I havn't ridden one,but once when 2 GS riders were helping me push my XLV750 up a very rutted slippery clay hill (after we pushed both theirs up),a Cagiva Elephant launched itself off the bridge,hit the huge rut in front of us and sent up a 20ft rooster tail as it blasted up the hill.Obviously the guy doesn't know how to ride an adventure bike,otherwise he would of got off and pushed it up like we did.
so have ya still gota a grin on ya dial after the rugby

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:53 AM   #11
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,328
They're called the ALL BLACKS mate,I don't know why you even tried!

Come over this summer and do some sailing,we have this bit of tin ware that Dennis Conner wants back,he's getting old trying! (actually the whole worlds here to have a go,but the boats are full of Kiwi's and Aussie's)
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:06 AM   #12
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 296
Ducati Elefants

Sites and lists for Elefants:
www.ozemail.com.au/~elefantman/
on that site is a sign up for the international Elefant email list.

http://rallyebikes.homestead.com/home.html
on this site are elefant connections and the annual lucky explorer elefant rally in the USA.

Hope this helps
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #13
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally posted by motupaika
They're called the ALL BLACKS mate,I don't know why you even tried!

Come over this summer and do some sailing,we have this bit of tin ware that Dennis Conner wants back,he's getting old trying! (actually the whole worlds here to have a go,but the boats are full of Kiwi's and Aussie's)
Shit,....I had forgotton about that bit of TIN.....you could get a some good milage out of that on this board

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 11:48 AM   #14
AlphaDuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thumb 20,000 miles on a Gran Canyon

In '94 I almost purchased one, but opted for the 900SS Cr because is was less expensive. Traded the 900SS in 2000 for the Cagiva Gran Canyon. The Canyon looked a little too much like a sport bike, but after a test ride I took it. With the fuel injection, the Canyon is a lot smoother at low rpm's than the 900SS. With the hard bags, wide seat, and up right position long trips are a dream. I just wish it had less body work. Something like the old style Elefant 650's or the BMW GS's.
423-253-2088
TN side of the Cherohala Skyway, on the town square
AlphaDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 11:37 AM   #15
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
I know very little about Ducati, but what is the difference between this bike and the multistrada?

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote