Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
tricepilot OP
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,807
Copper Canyon and Batopilas

After reading all the informative threads about Mexico's Copper Canyon, I decided to take my R1200GSA to Creel and Batopilas with Motodiscovery March 17 to 25 2007. I've been with them in October 2006 on their Colonial tour, and liked the format of a chase vehicle and others with whom to share the adventure.

I like to "cut to the chase", so here is the bottom line - here's my bike along the road between Creel and Batopilas:

The R1200 GSA was the largest of the 10 bikes that made the trip. The others were mostly KLRs. The smallest was a Super Sherpa (around 200cc). There were 3 1200GS's, one of which went over the side of the canyon last year, in about the only place you can do that and live. Mark wanted to come back and try it again, not because of the fall, but because they didn't make it all the way to Batopilas last time.

Here's my bike at the Pueblo Viejo cabins in Creel. Creel's elevation is around 7,600 ft. That's a camelbak that I always travel with. Inside the pannier I have a Katadyn water filter and hoses to connect to it with. Even though Motodiscovery provided water, I never like to travel without the capability of making more fresh water than I need.

Here is the famous bridge at the bottom of the canyon at the river crossing. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the bridge as well as the town of Batopilas are in Batopilas Canyon and the descent is through Basihuare Canyon, although most would simply describe being on the road there as in Copper Canyon. Copper Canyon is actually the name given to the system of canyons that together are larger than the Grand Canyon of Arizona.

Once we were across the bridge, it wasn't too far to the sleepy, tranquil town of Batopilas. Everthing in that town is trucked in via the very same road we traversed. You meet many of these trucks in places that aren't wide enough for two vehicles.

We overnighted in Batopilas, and then climbed back out to Creel the next day. The views in the canyon are spactacular....

The Motodiscovery tour met up in El Paso on Saturday, 17 March and headed out for the border on Sunday morning. Our guide, Pancho, took us to Columbus, New Mexico for the crossing since there was a lot less traffic there than would have occured at El Paso.

tricepilot screwed with this post 04-30-2007 at 08:02 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote