User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Nitram OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Yerranderie to Hobbys Yards via Abercrombie National Park

We met up at a friend’s place out along the Wombeyan Caves Rd at about 9.00 ’ish. The other blokes had trailered their bikes from Kiama, and I had ridden down from the Blue Mountains. Wayne and I had TTR250s, Quinny had his XR400 and Ross had his KDX200 smelly two-stroke thingo. The TTRs and Quinny’s XR have Acerbis 21 litre tanks fitted, giving a range of more than 400km, depending on the type of tracks. The stinkin’ Kawasaki get’s about 120 klicks before hitting reserve, so Ross has to carry an extra 5 litres in his bag, and then he starts bludging from us………… I think he’s in the market for a DRZ right now, which is a good idea.

Braved the tourists and 4WD weekend warriors (some maniac in a Hilux with a death wish) along the Caves Rd, turning north a few miles short of the Caves. I haven’t been this way for 20 yrs, and then by Hillman Hunter. Funny, but I remembered the tunnel being bigger than it is…….Top views into valley through the morning mist . , ........

Headed north looking for Limeburners. Along Limeburners to the grassy flats for morning tea and then up the jumps and along to the Yerranderie Rd. I’d never been to Limeburners before, and now I have. It was always a bit of a dream. I guess I’m a bit disappointed because it’s a bit overused, and there’s not much off the side of the main track- like other tracks to explore or whatever. Or at least I didn’t see any anyway. Maybe I was hurrying too much (playing enduro racers) and didn’t notice. I usually do keep an eye out for any single track stuff to do, and I didn’t see any this time.

No lunch at Yerranderie- just a snack and a bit of a chat to some blokes from Ulysseys Club Castle Hill out for their annual dirty weekend away. One bloke had ridden out on a Harley fitted with KTM forks and wheels, and Ohlins Twins shocks on the rear…….. It’s a wild piece of gear and looked pretty top-heavy, but very well done. Must be a brute in the tight stuff, but I don’t suppose he built it for single track work.

Back out to the Oberon-Goulburn Rd., and it’s 4.00pm and starting to rain. We had planned to go north a bit and then west through Arkstone and Isabella, but Wayne spotted a sign to the left saying “Abercrombie River National Park- 4WD access only”. Too much temptation after a day of pretty ordinary dirt roads, so in we went with no decent map, following the compass west. How can you go wrong ?? Just head west til you come to the Tuena-Trunkey Rd. Simple eh ! NOT. Bloody roads keep turning South, not west. It’s red mud, greasy and super slippery when wet. An hour later and the sky’s black, pissing down, and the natives are getting impatient with my navigating skills. I’m starting to look for places to get an emergency fire going in the event that we have to stay the night. No photos- too wet. Came to a farm and they said “This way to Burraga” so we pushed on. Cold/wet and sliding everywhere.

Out onto the Burraga road into driving rain and fog. We’re all in MX-type helmets and the rain really stings the face. Bitterly cold, and the goggles are all fogged up and it’s getting darker so I can’t see a bloody thing. On through Burraga, the then west on a windy dirt road past a sign saying “Trunkey creek-39km.”. That was a long, long 39km. Had planned a counter-dinner at Trunkey, but too wet to go inside. So we regroup and press on to Hobby’s in the twilight.

Staying around the farm on Sunday, talking to the farmers and checking out the paddocks. The drought has been cruel, but it’s greened up which is an improvement.

We found a big dam that was 80% dried up and it made a fabbo race track complete with Daytona-style banked corners and all.

A refuel a hamburger at Neville Generall Store, and check out the maps for the next days riding.

Next day it was up early to a crisp and clear Monday, and by the time we were ready to hit the road and hour later it was overcast & black and looked threatening. Heading south and east through the high country around Burraga towards Abercrombie for a closer look at the National Park, and intermittent drizzle had us thinking of those greasy red-mudded hills.

But it came good as we dropped down lower and was positively balmy as we looked in at the highlights of the Park along the Retreat River and the Abercrombie River. Beautiful green river verges and steep hills.

The tracks in this National Park don’t seem to have had much 4WD abuse and are in excellent condition. Also, quite unusually for the NSW NPWS, the tracks are all open to the public and there is good access to some really excellent camping spots. You could do it OK on a road bike if it was dry, but it might be challenge if it rained in the night.

We worked our way east to the Oberon-Goulburn Rd, where we parted company. The others headed South to Approach Wombeyan Caves from the west, and on to Mittagong. I ventured back into the scub and over to Kanangra Walls via the Kowmung River track. A bit of drizzle in the high country mellowed by Hartley and back into the traffic for the run back up to the Blue Mountains.

A great way to spend a few days. I guess the TTR250s are not everybody’s cup of tea: 250 air-cooled 4 strokes are not the most exciting bikes to ride. But they have some pretty endearing features too such as light weight, excellent economy, comfortable suspension, a bulletproof electric start, and go-anywhere ability. We tend to have a crack at just about any track we come across, and the TTRs have always risen to the occasion.

Happy trails !!

NITRAM

Nitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,988
looks like a hoot Martin, excellent piccies
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Nitram OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Hi Greg,

It was a top few days away. The Abercrombi Nat Park is a rare place in NSW- a National Park where the administration actually seem to be encouraging 4wd etc touring. There are no blocked off tracks within the park, and there's a map displayed on the western and the eastern approaches showing how it's all layed out.
The tracks themselves are in excellent nick- apart from the one across the North-west border- and appear to get fairly little 4wd use.

You should try to get out there (if you havn't already been) on your Yerranderie trip that's coming up. Or has it gone by already ?

Good to hear from you !

Martin
Nitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
It's great to have a park open to our sport!! Thanks for the great pics and report
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
FuddyLogic
Blue'n'Orange

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram
A great way to spend a few days. I guess the TTR250s are not everybody’s cup of tea: 250 air-cooled 4 strokes are not the most exciting bikes to ride. But they have some pretty endearing features too such as light weight, excellent economy, comfortable suspension, a bulletproof electric start, and go-anywhere ability. We tend to have a crack at just about any track we come across, and the TTRs have always risen to the occasion.

Howdy Nitram,

Great pics and report.

Just curious about the tanks on the TTRs. I know you said they are 21 litre Acerbis - are they for a particular model of bike? (have never seen any aftermarket tanks for the TTR)

If they weren't specifically for the TTR, was there much work in fitting them?

Fuddy

Is it cider o'clock yet?
----------------------------
KTM 640 ADV, Yamaha TTR 250, BMW R1150RT

Ride Pics
FuddyLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
oziexplorer
fugarewe tribe member

Oddometer: 1,171
Thumb

+1
Great Report !
oziexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
ozruffred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
GreatRide and pic's , martin - what a way to beat the Easter crowds - BTW what maps did you use - i'm still a map man not gps !
cheers steve
ozruffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #8
Dirt Doctor
Geographicallyembarrassed

Oddometer: 1,102
Abercrombie NP

There are also a heap of single tracks on the eastern side near Cat Hill on the Abercrombie Road.

Bathurst DSMRA have got a ride out there at the end of the month but would be more enduro riding in the tighter stuff.

PM if you need contact details

Rob
2001 KTM 400 EXC Motard
1989 U1700 Unimog Doka-The ultimate support vehicle
Dirt Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote