ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #256
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,577
Springs/Helikron: Remember the "Brake Failure" emergency yesterday?

Took it to RW this morning and learned that my knuckle guards had slipped down to the point where they began making constant contact with my brake and clutch levers. They slipped far enough to cause a “Failure” in the system and triggered the fault.

It was a $50 tutorial in keeping the knuckle guards tight and in the right spot. It’s a good case for putting in short levers!

Hope I can help others save the $50.00 with this little snippet of info from the gurus at RW…$50.00 is at lease 12 beers – to put it into more relevant terms.

"Whoa, that's a helluva lotta whiskey before breakfast" --Clint Eastwood

GSHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #257
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
Good to know

Glad you got that figured out! Sorry about the beer loss! I'll buy you a couple next time help compensate for your bad luck!

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #258
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Thanks, Springs.

One thing I have to say about the whole ‘BRAKE FAILURE” ordeal is at least there's a system in place to give the rider some feedback about potential problems. This was a pretty silly situation (sleepy knuckle guards) but I was told by the tech that he’s seen cases where clutches have wore out prematurely because of contact between levers and knuckle guards.

I'm not normally a fan of too much electronics for the sake of electronics – I still like crank windows in cars – but this system worked and, although I’m $50.00 lighter, I’m still tickled with the GS.

So the moral of this story is: check your knuckle guards once in a while and get them back in place...save your beer money!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #259
helikron
The Fixer

Oddometer: 3,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHighlander
Springs/Helikron: Remember the "Brake Failure" emergency yesterday?
Ya know, I saw your brake light on a LOT yesterday, but not for more than a couple hundred feet at a time and even on straight & level sections-- not just corners and traffic...
I wondered if you habitually dragged brake (either at the handlebar, or just your foot inadvertently pressed the rear brake lever ) and I forgot to mention it at any of the stops. I must've been in some kind of haze (), esp. when you did your parking lot investigation.

Did the fault occur because of the duration of the brake activation? "Braking Happening" but no reduction in speed cornfused the CANBUS? What REALLY makes the failure lamp/message go off?
Sorry 'bout the $50, but it could've been worse!

p.s. Just got home from another 165 miles this morning! What a gorgeous day! Now I gotta go to work.
helikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #260
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

According to the tech, it was the constant brake "ON" condition that caused the fault. CANBUS had a little tantrum (like a 12-year old girl with a dead cell phone) and thought there was a problem with the brakes...

Me, drag brakes? Tya! Dude, I was on the brakes so you wouldn't get lost back there... What were you doin', reading a book? The throttle is on the right grip, by the way.

165 miles? You dog...except for my 90 minute RW seminar, I've been working since dawn. I'll get a little run in
at sunset, hopefully. What a gorgeous day...sort of like that chick at the Oxford yesterday with all the crazy ink.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #261
helikron
The Fixer

Oddometer: 3,803
Okay fucker, next time you carry the red lantern! Oh wait... I guess that Iditarod analogy won't work since YOUR RED LANTERN was clobbering your ride.

I was just laggin so's I could avoid the parts that your CAN'TBUS rig was spitting out.

Per PM today, it seems that a certain riding companion in Alaska has a nephew in Bellingham who-- such as these things go--
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRidingCompanion
he's the Master Brewer for the North Fork Brewery near Demming
and I'm thinking that something shall happen to get a few ADVriders into that neighborhood of Bellingham, wherein we's might $pend $ome $upport.

--Glad that you and RW figgered it out, though.--
helikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #262
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Too funny! Dude, you make me laugh…teary-eyed funny. Good times, man. I hope nothing hit you back there! My Red Lantern is fixed now and I'm ready to ride! Seriously, I thought the RW guys were going to insist on rewiring my PIAAs, which would have cost an arm and a leg.

Yeah, we should definitely head up there, grab a nice ride (Squish-a-nut Drive?), and $support the brewmeister! Aye, aye, Captain! Plan it and I will follow!

Still laughing…

Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #263
Kamakura Kid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Potential MAG location! There's a new Bar and Grill opening up in Des Moines...

Oh yeah, the usual disclaimer. No financial affiliation, etc., I just happen to live nearby.

Anyways, there appears to be a new bar and grill opening up soon in Des Moines. The Butler Bar and Grill. Its right next to the Des Moines Cinema, for those of you familiar with the area. Parking right out in front, and even more further along the street.

Might be a good opportunity for us to "mark our territory," if you will. Des Moines is kind of mid way btwn Seattle and Tacoma, and you Tacoma folks could come up via Dash Point Rd.
Kamakura Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #264
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Hey Kamakura Kid:

Thanks for the input! This is probably better posted in the South-Sound thread but it's allllll good.

Got an address and maybe a photo?

Sounds like it could be something worth checking out! Once it opens, take it for a spin and post a report in the South-Sound thread!

Very cool and thanks!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #265
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Good LINK for great gear!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #266
Kamakura Kid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHighlander
Hey Kamakura Kid:

Thanks for the input! This is probably better posted in the South-Sound thread but it's allllll good.

Got an address and maybe a photo?

Sounds like it could be something worth checking out! Once it opens, take it for a spin and post a report in the South-Sound thread!

Very cool and thanks!
Wilco!
Kamakura Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #267
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

I'd like to thank everyone that has viewed and posted in the 3 threads dedicated to meeting ADV Riders and building community.

I just noticed that all 3 threads below are currently in the Top 10 of all threads started in 2007 in the Pacific Northwest regional forum based on number of posts! And, this has all happened since March 5th! Amazing!

To me, this says a lot about the ADV Rider community in the Pacific Northwest and our commitment to making this region a great place to own and ride our beloved DS machines.

Keep up the good work and thanks again for all the effort!

Where to Meet ADV Riders?
Where to Meet ADV Riders - North Sound
Where to Meet ADV Riders - South Sound

GSH

GSHighlander screwed with this post 04-07-2007 at 12:01 AM
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #268
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

New Middle-Sound MAG!

Here's the second Middle-Sound MAG location:

Place: PETE'S PUB & GRILL [link]

Address:
4640 Tolt Ave, Carnation, WA 98014 [425.333.4300]

Date: Saturday, April 21, 2007

Time: 2:30PM - Whenever!

Redhook was great but I think Pete's is going to be better. Pete's offers: 1) plenty of street parking, 2) outdoor seating, 3) great food, 4) the coldest beer you'll ever drink, and 5) plenty of biker atmosphere. Be prepared to share the curb with some HDs.

Also, as many of you already know, there are lots of nice, twisty roads leading into and out of Carnation. And, Carnation is positioned nicely for some backcountry riding before, during, and after the MAG. I'm sure Mr. Cob could lead us on a few choice rides over the river and through the woods!

Show up early and leave late...it's going to be a great MAG!

Let's try and make this the biggest turnout in our short MAG history!!!

Side note: Springs, Helikron and I actually started at the Snoqualmie Brewery and enjoyed a nice ride all the way through Fall City, Carnation, Duvall, and Snohomish, and ended up at Engel's Pub last Thursday.
Attached Images

GSHighlander screwed with this post 04-07-2007 at 01:09 PM
Old 04-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #269
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,484
With all the cross overs to other MAGs I lost the one I wanted to go to this Thursday... I think it was in Olympia... the fish Bowl? Is it still on?
Plan to ride up with a buddy or two and at least one of them can not get onto gravel with his scoot so we will likely take the scenic route there, have a quick bite and a beverage or two then head back.
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #270
Springs
Shipping Wars

Oddometer: 2,270
Look at the last page of the North sound thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
With all the cross overs to other MAGs I lost the one I wanted to go to this Thursday... I think it was in Olympia... the fish Bowl? Is it still on?
Plan to ride up with a buddy or two and at least one of them can not get onto gravel with his scoot so we will likely take the scenic route there, have a quick bite and a beverage or two then head back.
Edmonds on Thursday Mr. Fisherman Edmonds!!!!

Finisher 2009 42nd running S.C.O.R.E Baja 1000, 313 X
Finisher's 2008 41st running S.C.O.R.E. Baja1000 202 X

http://www.snortnboarracing.com/

http://sidestandup.com/default.aspx

http://www.riderdown.org/forum/

RIP Jeff, and now Gary. I miss you both!
Springs is offline   Reply With Quote